Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
5,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To think a couple of years ago many fans and "critics" were saying that big and muscle guys were no longee appealing and that average guys but with great skills like Zayn were the future and here we are now and the most over guys are Strowman, Lesnar, Cena, Big E, Roman and even Kanamura who is a very big guy. What happened?what changed? Sure Aj Styles and Owens are super over but thats it, Sami, Apollo, Dolph, Kalisto, Sin cara, Tyler Bate are all lost in the shuffle, they get so-so reactions at best and even Rollins and Ambrose are fairly tall, Rollins is taller than HBK, Cena and Bret Hart, not small at all and he doesnt look like the man next door. Are small wrestlers just a fad? What happened?

·
HEADBANGA
25,279 Posts
Re: The era of Small, average looking wrestlers is over.

Nothing has changed . At the time smaller guys were getting a fair shake at being signed to the company and they were still signing big jacked guys too. The WWE now realizes that they need to have guys with different looks. If everyone looks the same then no one can stand out.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts

So you start your thread by pointing out a previous, and incorrect generalized broad prediction...only to make another generalized broad prediction?

Smart.

·
Magic, sparkles and Strap-ons!
14,349 Posts

Enter the era of jacked oiled up men which oozes of the homoerotic...

Watch as other men defend their beefed up hulks from "nerds" and "horny women" because they cannot appreciate the well oiled machine..

Gasp as they deflect from this behavior by saying only busty women are real women while mostly still talking of rippling biceps and shredded abs ..

I'm liking this era already, sounds like a laugh riot!

·
Banned
4,811 Posts

Unless Kevin Nash is suddenly Director of Talent, I disagree. They'll have a variety of body types around so they can pretend they have a wellness policy in tact while allowing Brock, Stephanie, Jinder and Hunter to get juiced up.

·
Registered
32,159 Posts

So you start your thread by pointing out a previous, and incorrect generalized broad prediction...only to make another generalized broad prediction?

Smart.
So you just going to pretend that general consensus among hardcore fans hasn't been "omg why is Vince stuck in the 80s, nobody cares about muscle guys and giants anymore. We want actual wrestlers". You going to pretend that somebody like Braun didn't get immediately labeled as a "another failed Vince big man project" before he even got to really show his stuff? Sure you get folk that do the opposite and stupidly shit on anyone under 6ft 2in 230lbs, but those guys are the minority places like here, and are usually called out for their opinions quickly.

On topic not really the rest of the industry still thrives on those types, and since WWE poaches most of it's talent we'll continue to more folk in the AJ-Rollins types than say Reigns-Strowman, The variety is cool though they got 3 giants with different styles in Cass, Corbin, and Strowman

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,667 Posts

When will people realise that it's not the size, it's the personality they have or haven't got.

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts

To think a couple of years ago many fans and "critics" were saying that big and muscle guys were no longee appealing and that average guys but with great skills like Zayn were the future and here we are now and the most over guys are Strowman, Lesnar, Cena, Big E, Roman and even Kanamura who is a very big guy. What happened?what changed? Sure Aj Styles and Owens are super over but thats it, Sami, Apollo, Dolph, Kalisto, Sin cara, Tyler Bate are all lost in the shuffle, they get so-so reactions at best and even Rollins and Ambrose are fairly tall, Rollins is taller than HBK, Cena and Bret Hart, not small at all and he doesnt look like the man next door. Are small wrestlers just a fad? What happened?
No, we said big and muscle guys with no skills are no longer appealing. The size doesn't matter, its the skill. I don't care if you look like Batista for example as much as I care how good you are as a professional wrestler.

And your examples are terrible.

1-Strowman is a talented and athletic giant. If he was putting on Great Khali-esque matches, no one would give a fuck about him.

2-Lesnar is the dude that's been the most protected in the past 5 years. Also, he is talented. I'd be really surprised if a dude like him didn't get over.

3-Cena is Cena. The most mainstream guy, and the face of the company for the past 10 years.

4-I'm sorry Big E? So you neglect to mention Xavier or Kofi but specifically mentioned Big E despite the fact The New Day are over together.

5-Roman, the dude Main evented the last 3 Mania's in a row. Also, I fucking consider him talented but with the push he's gotten, he's failed.

6-That Kanamura fail though. And he isn't even a very big guy. For fuck sake you included Apollo Crews in the small guy list when he is bigger than Nakamura(which I will get to), Ziggler who is just 9 pounds smaller and arguably Zayn who is 6 foot 1 and of a similar size. And only a fool would try to pass of Nakamura's run as being successful so far, and I'm a fan of him.

6-Zayn was booked to lose to Aiden English twice. As far as I'm concerned, he is still great. Only he could retain being somewhat over despite losing to Aiden English and Mike Kanellis.

7-Crews is as covered is bigger than Nakamura so him being put on the small guy list is a fail. Plus, I personally think he is talented, but he is a charisma vacuum to most. Crews is literally an example against your case. A big and muscular guy that has failed to find his footing so far.

8-So you mean the Ziggler that was part of the feud of the year candidate last year, continually underrated and has had many points in his career where he was really over. Plus, he ain't small at all.

9-Kalisto, the guy who was over as part of the Lucha Dragons and at the start of the US title run but got booked into irrelevency ever since and hasn't recovered. And they don't even bother to put him on 205 live. How the fuck are you supposed to get over?

10-No one cared for this Sin Cara that much, actually at all except for his backstage fight record. Maybe you know, the reason why he is floundering because its the fact that he sucks, not anything to do with size?

11-Bate lost in the shuffle? I'm sorry what?

12-Seth Rollins and Dean Ambrose may be tall, but they are no bigger than the likes of Crews, Ziggler, and Sinc Cara is only around 7 pounds smaller than Rollins.

Mate, all your examples are terrible. Your muscular and big guy list is filled with people who were either booked as faces of the company(Cena, Roman, to an extent Lesnar), filled with people who aren't getting the expected reaction(Nakamura and Roman), actually not very big (Nakamura, Rollins, Ambrose and again, Roman. He isn't 264 pounds when he is Rollins's height) and then there's Big E which is absolutely hilarious because New Day is filled with 2 other smaller guys but you only credit him. You can't be serious with the Big E one.

And every single one of your small guy list either aren't small(Crews, Ziggler), suck (Crews, Sin Cara), were booked to irrelevency (Kalisto, Zayn but he's managed to stay over) and then there's Tyler Fucking Bate.

Yep, this list is completely valid. Like the big guy list were all amazing because they were muscular roided big guys, and the small guy list sucked because they were small. There's no way there can be other factors like booking or the fact that they are just aren't good right?

·
Banned
1,140 Posts

Neither of these guys are huge but are probably the best in the world. Plus we know Vince has hard on's for the big guys.
I'm not trying to shit on NJPW but does it translate to them being a star in the WWE or American? Many of the IWC tend to overrate some of these guys like the NJPW that's been stuck in NXT, Nakumra, Gallows and Anderson too. We can say AJ Styles but he was over in TNA and was the face of the company.

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts

I'm not trying to shit on NJPW but does it translate to them being a star in the WWE or American? Many of the IWC tend to overrate some of these guys like the NJPW that's been stuck in NXT, Nakumra, Gallows and Anderson too. We can say AJ Styles but he was over in TNA and was the face of the company.
OP never said anything about it had to be WWE now did they? :fact

·
Registered
16,471 Posts

Well it's simple, the WWE value distinctive appearances over guys that look vanilla, because that's what stands out the most to the human eye. Unless the vanilla guys stand out with extraordinary charisma, then they usually aren't the priority.

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts

When these guys are stupidly over in these other companies, and aren't as over in WWE, they aren't "overrated" performers when they were there, they were just used better and booked better. This whole different audience thing is a load of shit for me. Especially the NXT to main roster thing. Its just bad booking that a lot of these NXT guys get when they get moved up.

Reactions: krtgolfing

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts

In reality it all comes down to the booking of the superstar. Braun was not really over until he starting going up against Roman.

·
Banned
1,140 Posts

OP never said anything about it had to be WWE now did they? :fact
Like it or not although WWE has been trash for sometime now. The company is still wrestling when you mention it to th causal fan. So again does these guys translate to stars on the big stage? It's just a honest question not a flame war.

·
Banned
879 Posts

To think a couple of years ago many fans and "critics" most over guys are Strowman, Lesnar, Cena, Big E, Roman and even Kanamura who is a very big guy. What happened?what changed? Sure Aj Styles and Owens are super over but thats it, Sami, Apollo, Dolph, Kalisto, Sin cara, Tyler Bate are all lost in the shuffle, they get so-so reactions at best and even Rollins and Ambrose are fairly tall, Rollins is taller than HBK, Cena and Bret Hart, not small at all and he doesnt look like the man next door. Are small wrestlers just a fad? What happened?
hey man, i understand your observations. guys like strowman and lesnar get some pretty good crowd responses. however, i doubt it really comes down to size. some of the smaller guys receive some good crowd reactions too, even while being booked (slightly) weaker than the bigger guys.

as for this though....

To think a couple of years ago many fans and "critics" most over guys are Strowman, Lesnar, Cena, Big E, Roman and even Kanamura who is a very big guy.
i'm sorry, but those 2 bolded parts i've highlighted should never be in the same sentence. it's too laughable :ha

1 - 20 of 78 Posts