Wrestling Forum banner

The Dr. of Thugonomics

1830 Views 24 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  SnoopSystem
Many people believe that the only way to help Cena become fresh again is to turn him heel (ala Hollywood Hogan). While Hogan's turn was monumental, I truly don't believe that this is the right choice for Cena. Could a loss at Extreme Rules to Bray Wyatt bring about the return of the Doctor of Thuganomics? The character, that while it was an obvious Eminem rip-off, could cut promos that got the crowd going and made his moveset make that much more sense.

Also, I think that like the Undertaker did over his incarnations, Cena needs to find a new finishing move that would represent the turn to a harder edged face. The kids and ladies could still love him and buy merchandise, while the guys that typically lead the booing would have something else to thing about.

Also, we would see some throwback jersey's and not the latest whacked out color of SuperCena shirt.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2,369 Posts
I really don't think returning to an old gimmick is a good way to breathe life into Cena. If he turns heel, he should have something fresh, perhaps play on the fact that despite his best efforts everyone hates him

· Registered
5,770 Posts
This being the so called 'reality era', you can see the way its going to go... Cena's storylines will greatly tease a heel turn but will never actually go there.

His character has jumped the shark so long ago that he'll get more heel heat in the superman role he is now... but if Cena actually turned heel people would love it, he'd be the biggest face in the company, however that works.

So yes, they need to kinda either go full blown heel, or tweak the face character and let him be more edgy, but maybe bring the SuperCena thing to an end now and let him be a different kind of face.

· None but ourselves
3,658 Posts
Cena doesn't have to turn heel to be fresh, he needs to evolve his act; he's been identical since at least 2006.

· Banned
3,004 Posts
It's sad to see what a bright intelligent young man with a doctorate degree in Thugonometry has turned into these days...

· Crowley's Minion
1,222 Posts
Dr. of Thuganomics should only be brought back on special occasions e.g. Old School Raw, Tribute To The Troops etc.

· Registered
389 Posts
I don't "want" anything to change with him. He doesn't bother me really, I get that's he's literally the face of the WWE, he makes the money, the children love him. Until another face can match and overtake his merch sales, he'll be super Cena. It's fresh to see him with Bray, not only does is elevate Bray (come on, he's in a match - and winning mind games - with John Cena) but it's a different side to the Cena character, it's him facing mental difficult.

I can see why it's frustrating and annoying to many to see this SUPER CENA, I feel the same way about Randy Orton. I know that the Cena character isn't aimed for me - the 18-25 age bracket, but I don't mind him.

There's been times when I've gone "Man, this guy is so cringe" but then I've also gone "Well, I actually liked that."

Sorry for waffling. I don't think Cena will turn heel at all, nor does he need to, nor will the WWE see it necessary to.

· Registered
5,307 Posts
One of the main reasons why Cena along with the WWE stopped the gimmick in the first place was because the FCC red flagged him and that was back in 2004 imagine how bad it would be in 2014? especially in today's PC world?
He was on network TV. When he got drafted to Raw he still did the gimmick until he went all corporate. But I do NOT remember the FCC butting in back in 04. If he were to try that today he and WWE would get a pass since they're on cable.

I mean a Bella just called Steph a bitch; what would be so harsh in the return of ghetto Cena?

· Registered
5,033 Posts
He was on network TV. When he got drafted to Raw he still did the gimmick until he went all corporate. But I do NOT remember the FCC butting in back in 04. If he were to try that today he and WWE would get a pass since they're on cable.

I mean a Bella just called Steph a bitch; what would be so harsh in the return of ghetto Cena?
Do you remember this segment:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9a8e3_john-cena-dawn-marie-in-cena-s-lock_sport

Every single freestyle rap Cena's cut since has been WWE approved except for his one with Kenzo Susuki which got him into some trouble even though he was ordered to bury the guy. After the one he cut on Raw CENA just said fuck it and became the dull, boring bastard that you see today.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.