Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Me and my friend were chatting about the current state of ROH, and comparing it to the past. Comparing Davey to Nigel etc. We all got pretty heated on the debate and i wondered what you guys personally feel about the state of ROH today and comparing to to previous years. I made a video on this which is more of what i have already posted and how i feel about the topic, feel free to watch. If not talk about how you think the product has evolved and more importantly if you see it getting any better.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
I just don't see what's so good about ROH that people watch it over WWE and TNA and go out of their way to say "OMGZZ ROH IS DA BEST AND BETTR DAN TEH MAINSTREAM WRESTLINGZZ" Because to me it's nothing 1 hour of boredom on HD Net. I don't care about the characters cause quite frankly there's nothing interesting about them. I don;t see the big deal about Davey Richards or Roderick String, they lack that"star" presence.

Hating on mainstream wrestling is the cool thing, I get it. You know indy wrestling is the shiz nit, but then I turned 15. Watching that AIW show where Daniel Bryan wrestled last year after getting fired from WWE was just embarrassing. Daniel Bryan's talking and of course indy fans like the nerds they are try to show off how superior they are by chanting, 'Thank you Danielson" of course the rhythm for that was as you can tell, OFF! Till finally some smart people simply chanted, "Thank you Bryan"

Lastly, he talks about his 30 minute match was more time he got than in WWE, and once again indy fans like the nerds they are some guy screams, 'FUCK THAT MAINSTREAM SHIT" It doesn't make you sound cool, you just sound like a big dork! Oh wow you discovered indy wrestling so "Fuck that mainstream shit"

This is the reason I try my best to stay away from the "Other Wrestling" section.

/Rant

ROH just doesn't have the feel it once had with guys like Punk, Joe, McGuiness, Danielson etc

·
Banned
8,283 Posts
I could only handle watching about 10-30 minutes of WWE a week. I always wind up watching the full 2 hours but I find myself angry and embarrassed to be a wrestling fan by the time Santino or Cena or some diva/wrestler segment comes on and seeing the crowds that WWE attracts these days is awful.

Unfortunately it seems that WWE fans don't have that small smark indy vibe to them when they see a good wrestling match like the one monday night between the Miz and John Morrison. They like that stuff as well no doubt and I loved it but the real WWE fans the ones that pay money to go to watch it and not sit at home on a computer and praise a certain heel on the roster and complain about everything else are not the kind of people I wanna be with because WWE is a corporate big circus show.

When you watch ROH or any indy that is close to where you live you feel like part of the show and it's more of your family with the wrestlers and other fans at the shows. The indys also is there to showcase the future. Whether they are 10 years on the indys and their in contention for the ROH or PWG world championship or whether they are 4 years in the business on indy feds somewhere in the west and hardly anybody on these forums or in the world even know who they are. These guys are the future of WWE and TNA if TNA has a future at this point. That's why I like it too.

See the problem is people on here and everywhere are SO fast to think ohhhh he's an elitist ohhhh that's the bandwagon cool thing of the month/year. Let me try to ruin it for that guy and be jealous because I don't get something about it that he does or I can't follow it because it's not on TV like WWE and he's an asshole. You see we and especially I are not like that. We never say everybody has to watch it or like it. You don't have to feel insecure because you never seen a ROH show in your life and feel insecure because you think somebody like the Miz is the be all end all pure chain wrestling greats of all time.

ROH is not on a decline, indy wrestling is not on a decline. There'll always be somebody new to step up. If you don't like seeing the new guys go watch even younger less talented guys win clusterfuck ladder matches and get undeserving 2 month title reigns in the better much bigger company.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Downfall? Sure, Punk, Joe, Nigel and other guys may be gone, but they certainly arent in a downfall.

From a pure wrestling standpoint, ROH is above all, for me at least. It's the main reason I enjoy watching it, and add in a good tag division (with the potential to be great with the addition of WGTT), you've got a pretty good federation going on.

They may not be standout actors, but they are simply amazing at pulling off some great matches. That's ROH's niche more than anything, the actual wrestling.

·
Banned
4,257 Posts
According to Meltzer, who is someone that comes across to me as something besides a carny due to the work effort he puts into what he does, ROH is barely hanging on.

·
Banned
373 Posts
I have always thought ROH would become bigger than it is. Don't think they are in danger of closing anytime soon.

·
Broadcast Journalist
280 Posts
Really, to be blunt, I just love different types of pro wrestling. I believe there is room for a more hard-hitting product (such as ROH) and also for an entertainment one (such as WWE). Most wrestling fans still watch for the matches but I've always been fascinated by the characters too.

Having not really been able to watch Ring of Honor when it was apparently at its best (with Joe, Punk etc..), it would be pretty wrong of me to talk about that. I've managed to see some older events but not enough to really give a solid opinion, if you get me. What I have seen of the product in the past 2 or so years however has really impressed me. I like how they keep their characters pretty simple and put an emphasis on winning matches and working hard to get to the top of the ranks. It's refreshing to someone like me as I've always loved the workers in the bigger promotions who carry the shows.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Funny how every time someone claims ROH is "boring" or whatever they ignore Chris Hero. Maybe I'm just a mark, but there is nobody I would rather watch wrestle.
Chris Hero is one of the people i do like in ROH, in the video we all said that WWE should snap him up becuase we all think hes pretty awesome.

·
Usertitle ist hier
11,699 Posts
See, people would have an argument to say that ROH is "hanging on" and struggling through, but I've heard it for years and it's been around since 2002, so it's an idea I have real trouble subscribing too these days.

·
You're a mong.
5,399 Posts
I tend to only really like the tag teams in ROH, Briscoes & KoW but I'd not really say it is on any sort of decline. I've basically been brainwashed into entertainment over wrestling now but from time to time I'll check in. There's still a few I can't stand (Davey) but for the most part, I'd not say there's much of a problem - especially after a nice feud from Steen & Generico.

·
Premium Member
32,163 Posts
Yeah it's not what it was in 05-07 but there's loads of reasons for that, many external and nothing ROH could do anything about. Losing guys like Danielson. Nigel, Joe, Punk, etc no doubt hurt and nobody else has really stepped up to their level in the company since. Maybe Davey to some people but guys like the above 4 were widely appreciated. Davey ..... well, he aint. Plus there's the downfall in the economy which obviously hasn't helped, especially for small Indy promotions who are already working on an extremely tight budget. Wrestling as a whole has been on a massive decline in the last few years. Then there's Gabe being dropped. They went from having someone who had booked the company and all the characters for years to someone with minimal booking experience so there's obviosuly gonna be a decline during that transitional process.

As far as modern wrestling promotions go they're doing pretty damn fine for themselves. The iPPVs have been a massive success with constant growth in the number of buys for them. They've managed to keep the TV deal which is a positive and whilst the all round shows aren't great anymore, they're still relible for their fair share of MOTYC's.

Obviously the place isn't what it once was, nowhere near in fact but all things considered, they're doing pretty good.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Always hated Gabe's booking, which is fitting b/c DGUSA is a mess and EVOLVE will never get off the ground. Cary has had ROH on a steady course for the past few years and they keep getting better and better. Right now ROH is in the process of building new stars as to not rely on international talent. They're roster is motivated, the tag division is stacked, and they honestly have the only worthwhile wrestling show on television. 2010 was probably, match-for-match, the highest quality year ROH has ever seen.

·
Banned
8,283 Posts
Like i said in the video, my problem is the phycology. Like the dude with the shark boy avatar said too. Roddy and Davey are not interesting, they dont have a character and also there not that great in the ring. They have no phycology which in my eyes makes there matches annoying and hard to watch.
I know they are not the most distinct guys to grasp goes especially more so Roddy. I'm liking what's going on with Davey right now. He's trying to win the ROH world championship and his life story and that promo he cut on the video recording for Glory By Honor IX really showed character to me. I think ROH knows what their doing and over time we'll see Roddy get to show a lot more character. As far as the psychology goes I don't find it annoying but just because a match can't be 5 stars in your eyes or Meltzers eyes doesn't mean it can't be in mine.

·
Is a Snit Head
22,349 Posts
I don't buy that ROH is on the decline. They don't spend massive amounts of money to fly people in from Japan anymore so that must save them a lot. And the iPPV is going to be a pretty big deal in indy wrestling. You can't stop people from downloading wrestling matches and shows but the iPPV is one of the few times that you can really sit down to watch a show and not know the outcomes and some people simply don't have the chance to see a live indy show any other way. The viewers are growing and the quality of them is only going to get better. I don't know how much money ROH makes with them but I think they are really on to something and it's one of the reasons why ROH isn't on a downfall.

·
I wonder what Aeris felt...When she was up on that
31,463 Posts
November 2008. The start of the end imo. Sure Gabe wasn't hitting on all cylinders like he had been, but the quality of shows he had been putting on was still great that year. Aries/Jacobs feud was fantastic and so was Nigel's heel run til the end of the year. I just don't see the argument in firing Gabe unless he asked for his release or it was at least mutual.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts