Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Banned
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pissed at the small reaction he had, hes a god damn legend, he deserved a better reaction from the crowd.
Yes I know the Youngster don't know him but I expected the older viewers to cheer for a legend is in front of them.
Imagine how must he feel? Worked so hard only to be forgotten about:angry:

·
Premium Member
19,334 Posts
:lmao

The crowd paid their money they can cheer whomever they want.

Reactions: Obfuscation

·
Registered
869 Posts
Legend or not, that promo was atrocious. I don't know, maybe I thought that because I never watched Backlund. I ended up muting the TV after he kept going on and on..

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
He wasn't supposed to receive a respectful ovation, pretty much all his appearances since retiring have portrayed him as a bitter eccentric and it was no different last night. He cut a comedy promo with his old heel gimmick and got the expected reaction, it was pretty fun and the only reason he was there was to make sure HBK won the vote.

·
From parts unknown
23,274 Posts
As much as I like the idea of nostalgia and history, there's still a certain element of disillusionment current fans face when it comes to comparing stars of today with those of yesterday. They're too far removed and WWE being trapped in its own little bubble insulates fans from exposure to historical figures outside of what WWE shows them. In other sports, the media does a great job of keeping legends alive, but this not something the WWE does. For them, their stars are property to be promoted and made money off of and they make no allusions to the contrary. All this creates an environment where their stars are known to be creations and therefore treated as such. Plus WWE hasn't really done a great job of being impartial with its past stars when it comes to celebrating their achievements and therefore rendering many of them irrelevant in the modern era.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I want to see insane Bob more. He's awesome as a heel :D

·
Premium Member
5,839 Posts
How many legends does WWE constantly promote before the Golden Era besides Bruno? Obviously I visit wrestling forums and shit so ya i'm a smark but I thought Jim Duggan or some shit was coming out.

Just looking back at old video and shit, Bob Backlund seemed to be pretty boring.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
How many legends does WWE constantly promote before the Golden Era besides Bruno? Obviously I visit wrestling forums and shit so ya i'm a smark but I thought Jim Duggan or some shit was coming out.

Just looking back at old video and shit, Bob Backlund seemed to be pretty boring.
While Bruno wrestled a few times during the Golden Era, he wasn't a GE star. His day was well before the GE. That would be like saying Jake the Snake was a AE Star.

As for the OP. I tend to agree, I think Backland should've gotten a bigger reaction than he did.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
None of the kids have any idea who he is

I dont even care about this freak

·
Banned
11,718 Posts
I liked how he got over 4 times the votes Booker got. Believe it was 32% to 7%. Would've gotten more if the WWE app was legit and Bob Backlund Authorized.

·
Premium Member
5,839 Posts
While Bruno wrestled a few times during the Golden Era, he wasn't a GE star. His day was well before the GE. That would be like saying Jake the Snake was a AE Star.

As for the OP. I tend to agree, I think Backland should've gotten a bigger reaction than he did.
That's what Isaid...

I was asking if WWE really promotes the guys who wrestlers before the Golden Era.

Besides Bruno NONE.

I think OP really shouldn't expect most crowds these days to know who these legends are..

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Only old school fans know him, so no surprise. They didnt really give him anything to work with, or he simply couldnt remember it. Anyway, if Backlund is willing and able to come back, then his batshit crazy gimmick could be fun as a manager.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
It's weird that so many people don't know who he is. I'm only 25, and while I'm not familiar with him when he was young I do remember him from the 90s, running for president and all that weird stuff. I'm not expecting 10 year olds to know him, though, but I figured older people did.

·
Still training, saying my prayers, eating my vitam
4,551 Posts
I thought his promo was hilarious. Backlund has stated that he wants one more run as a wrestler. He seemed to excite enough people to vote for him. That 32% wasn't all 50 year old men.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts