Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Definitions are a funny one. It seems that some groups have decided to create their own definition as they 1) believe that the "white" definition does not apply the power dynamic as a key component for racism and 2) they want it to fit their own agenda so they can "go after" the majority for supposed transgressions.

By adding a power or oppression component to racism this essentially enables non-white individuals to deny racism because they aren't in a position of power. I prefer the standard definition which is:

"the belief that different races possess distinct characteristics, abilities, or qualities, especially so as to distinguish them as inferior or superior to one another."

This allows for ANY race to be racist regardless of the power dynamic - if you believe that others are inferior to you BECAUSE of racial characteristics then you are racist. That definitely allows for non-majority individuals to be placed in the "racist" category and feels much fairer. If you add power and oppression into the mix you essentially given people who are a minority but who hold horrible views on the majority a free pass. That's not ok from my perspective.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Yeah let's all argue over the definition of a word instead trying to treat each other like we would like to be treated. We always focus on the wrong thing. We get so close and then here comes the bullshit.
I think the "bullshit" comes when:

1) People attribute "unconscious bias" as a starting point for calling someone racist. Imagine telling someone that they are racist but just don't know it. The arrogance of that is astounding and is not provable
2) "Microaggressions" are cited as racist jabs at minorities. The fact is that microaggressions are "felt" by the "victim" and therefore aren't definable or provable. If I FEEL that you are being unreasonable because you say hello to everyone else but not me then you are engaging in microaggressions. Even though I may not have even noticed you were there, were caught up in the moment in my own head etc.
3) Cognitive patterns of some minority individuals aren't challenged because if you challenge it you are "dismissing their lived experience as a person of colour". Some people will see racism, microaggressions etc in EVERY aspect of their lives. Nobody can call out these assumptions or beliefs that MAY be faulty, instead having to accept that the persons BELIEF is factual.

In short this topic is so divisive but there needs to be work on BOTH sides to achieve the goal.

I completed the Harvard racial unconscious bias test recently and came up with "no or little evidence of racial unconscious bias".... the test is here...

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
nothing wrong with that. people don't need to only celebrate things or take pride in things when they "achieve something" individually.
"Oh look, an individual of the same ethnic stock as I am just discovered a new element. That means I am superior by virtue of racial coattailing."

snoot snoot

Well actually I quite like this:

“Nationalism does nothing but teach you to hate people you never met, and to take pride in accomplishments you had no part in.”

― Doug Stanhope
As accurate as he is, Stanhope is still an overrated, unfunny gasbag.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
BS , if people want holidays like Cinco Di Mayo, St Patrick day, gay pride or any national holiday about their culture, nothing wrong with it. if you don't wanna participate and think it's something bad don't participate. problem solved.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Where is the line from tolerance to acceptance if I find loud praying irritating but puts up with it to be a good neighbor?
People making unreasonable noise, disturbing their neighbours is not a racial or a religious matter. It's not racist to ask your neighbour to make less noise if the noise level is that bad, regardless of what the noise is. A respectfully worded note under their door, requesting that they be more considerate would be my response.

Again, it's not anything to do with the race of the neighbours. It's common courtesy.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts