Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since people have tried to redefine the word..

Oxford:

Brittanica:

- you do not need to be "in power" to be racist. anyone can be a racist regardless of class, race, skin color, what part of the world you live in, etc

- there are different types of racism but above is the definition of racism in its most basic form. "SYSTEMIC" racism is not ALL racism.

- being a minority doesn't make you "immune" to being racist.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
There is a term for what they want. It is systemic racism. I don't see the point of redefining racism other than to avoid the label being used on non-majority members of a society.

Very similar to black students crying racism for not feeling welcomed at white schools, but at the same time being against non-black students attending traditionally black schools. But the 2nd part cannot be considered racism due to the redefinition.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
some types of racism (there are probably more) are :

-systemic

-individual

-structural

-institutional

-internalized

the problem is, certain people are trying to change the most basic definition of the word to basically BE systemic racism.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Activists devised a definition that they can weaponize the word without it being used back against the 'wrong' people. It is so pandering but at the same time, exposes their prejudices that skin color is a determining factor of who is racist.

·
Premium Member
17,063 Posts
For context, @Krin is referring to this article, A Missouri woman asked Merriam-Webster to update its definition of racism and now officials will change it, thread in Anything section. Krin didn't read the article or else he'd know they're not removing the original definition.

Webster is adding to the current definition, not removing anything. The previous definition didn't include "systemic", "individual", "structural", "institutional", or "internalized" - the new doesn't either. Here is a screenshot of the exact definition, now:

Reactions: ObsoleteMule

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Yes but they are pushing for switching 2 with 1 and to be THE definition of the word. Have to be willfully ignorant to not see that.

How many times have the minority can't be racist narrative been used to excuse racist behavior from individuals by bad actors? It is no different from white/ people in the majority saying things has always been like this to excuse their racist behavior.

·
Premium Member
17,063 Posts
I have no idea how many times. I don't see that issue in relation to the addition of this definition. They're not removing it, they're adding. I also agree with the addition so there's that. If you don't agree with I understand why you're against adding. But, why do you disagree with it?

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Just said why I disagree with it. The attempt to switch the secondary definition that expand on the meaning of the word with the primary definition to push for a narrative whereby individuals of a certain group cannot be called racists for having prejudice based on race. They could extrapolate any system to claim they are more oppressed in wider system to dismiss claims they are oppressing others in a smaller setting so they cannot be called racist themselves. Sort of like excusing their racism because others are worse at being racist.

Something like a group of Chinese Americans that only hire fellow Chinese or underpay non-Chinese. But they cannot be racist with that policy because in wider American society they are oppressed by White America. Or it cannot be considered racist for black students of traditionally black universities to shun non-black students based on race in the name of heritage because black Americans are more oppressed in America compared to other races.

·
Registered
140 Posts
since people have tried to redefine the word..

View attachment 87586

Oxford:
View attachment 87587

Brittanica:
View attachment 87588

- you do not need to be "in power" to be racist. anyone can be a racist regardless of class, race, skin color, what part of the world you live in, etc

- there are different types of racism but above is the definition of racism in its most basic form. "SYSTEMIC" racism is not ALL racism.

- being a minority doesn't make you "immune" to being racist.
U OK Hun?

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
The common theme in racist behaviour and defintions of racism itself is the belief that any race holds superiority over others.

There will always be differences in behaviour and culture between groups of people. Sometimes that can be through race, sometimes through religion, sometimes through belonging to a certain fandom. Recognition of these is not inherently a racist act. Rather, it's the belief that these differences define some inferiority.

Personally, I have a big problem with the use of the term "tolerance" in these matters. While society holds this "tolerance" of the presence of different people in their communities as the best possible achievement, we will never get anywhere. We don't need to aspire to be "tolerant". To tolerate something is to put up with it, regardless of it being unpleasant for you.

We should aim for acceptance. Until that is our goal, I believe we're going nowhere.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Where is the line from tolerance to acceptance if I find loud praying irritating but puts up with it to be a good neighbor?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
We've entered a decade where, in the near future, not tolerating rap automatically means you hate black people.

I wish I were joking, but that's far more plausible the deeper we get into the 2020s and the nascent Cancel Culture.

Demolition Man was right.

·
Under Jolly Roger
421 Posts
People take pride in their race, gender or sexuality, as if they actually worked to achieve something. Ridiculous.

·
The face that runs the List
10,633 Posts
My colleague of African descent posted a picture of us and his sister talking at a barbecue on social media. One of his friends from Nigeria commented "What does that white guy want" ?
All of my colleagues including the one who posted the picture were shocked, and so was I obviously. I reported the comment and Facebook said there wasn't anything wrong with it.
Pretty sure it would have been different if it had been the other way around. I despise racism but double standards are even worse.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Yeah let's all argue over the definition of a word instead trying to treat each other like we would like to be treated. We always focus on the wrong thing. We get so close and then here comes the bullshit.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
nothing wrong with that. people don't need to only celebrate things or take pride in things when they "achieve something" individually.
Well actually I quite like this:

“Nationalism does nothing but teach you to hate people you never met, and to take pride in accomplishments you had no part in.”

― Doug Stanhope

1 - 20 of 26 Posts