Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Banned
5,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was questioning myself about whether or not to start this thread but I feel as though where Punk is at currently warrants it. In my opinion he is very much near the top of his game. His character is morphing into something different. During SES he was more like a Jesus-type cult leader but now he's tweaked his character ever so slightly into this manipulative, lose in the head twat.

I feel as though people spend too much showering Punk with praise about his mic and in ring skills and not enough time looking at his character. In my opinion he is the most compelling heel since Orton 08/09. His character is just so good. I honestly think it's better than the 'best in the world at what he does' Jericho heel character. If I'm being frank, I didn't really enjoy that character for so long. It got really boring and really repetitive really quickly. The character definitely had it's moments and provided us with some very entertaining TV but Jericho milked it dry and didn't seem to realise when it was time for change. Whereas Jericho's character was highly predictable I genuinely believe that right now Punk's character is very much unpredictable. You really don't know what he's going to do next.

Punk's performance at Elimination Chamber highlighted everything that is right with his character. He is not your typical cowardly heel. Yes he has the New Nexus but they weren't present at EC. Punk has this demented, almost psychotic, demeanor about him now. What I found most interesting about him at EC was he didn't back down from anyone at all. Something like that was to be expected from Sheamus cos of his size and power but from Punk it was very surprising. He was legit ready to go at Orton, probably the most dangerous character going right now. This combined with his overall unrelenting performance in the Chamber and I'm really enjoying the way he's being booked. He's being booked strongly which as a heel (who is not a monster) is so refreshing. The thing so great about Punk now is he's such a good heel, he doesn't need to be booked as a coward. That was always one big problem with Orton's heel character. Because he was so entertaining and edgy as a heel it got the crowd behind him which resulted in WWE ultimately ruining his character by weakening him. With Punk, because he portrays a prick so well, the casual fan just refuses to get behind him no matter how impressive he is. His constant mocking of all other competitors, especially Orton, is what adds another level to his character. The way he slammed the mat before putting Orton to sleep was absolute gold.

For me, his showing on RAW last night epitomised everything that is great about him. From the way he sold the effects of the EC (even though he was legit ass-raped) to the way he took the piss outta Morrison on his way to the ring to the way he carried himself on the mic after the match. Many don't seem to like how he condescendingly calls Orton 'Randal' but I personally love it. The way he used Orton's full name last night was perfect. It's great because he's speaking down to Orton like a child. Like he's harmless which is the complete opposite of what he is. It's what is making this storyline so interesting. Punk keeps trying to tame something that cannot be tamed. The way he was demanding Orton to back down only to get the shit kicked outta him. It's great because he really thinks he can control Orton.

I feel like I've rambled on without truly driving home a point. Point I'm trying to make is Punk right now is great and it is not just down to his mic skills or in ring skills. It's just his general demeanor. His character overall. The way he carries himself. It's like he's struck gold with this character. He's at the point now where he can do anything and still retain his heat which is such a hard thing to achieve and I think it's getting lost amongst the whole jizzfest over just CM Punk himself. I think he has the potential to become one of the best heels of the past decade if WWE allows him to keep this going. I won't be holding my breath though seeing as WWE seem to be dropping the ball on almost everything.

Anyhow, I'm really looking forward to this program he's having with Orton and how it's going to turn out. I fully expect Orton to put his ass at Mania and fully expect this forum to go apeshit without anyone really thinking about how it's the right thing at the end of the day for the face to come out on top. It's only in rare circumstances that the heel should come out on top and I don't think it applies to Punk's match up at Mania.

· Banned
361 Posts
But why - WHY - could they not have pushed Punk harder during the SES run? He was on fire and they jobbed him out time and time again. And why? Because he criticised the dress code and some fuckwit went running to the management.
Every time I want to be enthusiatic about Punk I just get the feeling that he's not liked, that people don't want to push him and we're never more than one week away from a Mexican midget pinning him in a few minutes.

· Banned
5,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But why - WHY - could they not have pushed Punk harder during the SES run? He was on fire and they jobbed him out time and time again. And why? Because he criticised the dress code and some fuckwit went running to the management.
Every time I want to be enthusiatic about Punk I just get the feeling that he's not liked, that people don't want to push him and we're never more than one week away from a Mexican midget pinning him in a few minutes.
Why - WHY - are you concerned about that now? Punk is at the top of his game right now so just sit back, relax, and enjoy what's happening right now.

· Registered
694 Posts
Yeah CM Punk is being booked perfectly right now. I didn't become a fan of his till he returned from injury. Lets see in the last few weeks he has defeated Cena, eliminated Orton from the Elimination Chamber and went over Morrison cleanly on Raw. The WWE is doing something right finally.

· Banned
361 Posts
Why - WHY - are you concerned about that now? Punk is at the top of his game right now so just sit back, relax, and enjoy what's happening right now.
I'm concerned about that because they went from Punk being a genuinely interesting cult leader to leading a bunch of jobbers.
Mate, come on, the Nexus is shit. They've always been shit. Their whole deal is tacky and boring. Yellow and black, it's generic, they're all generic, they don't have any personality, not ONE of them since Barrett left.
I can barely watch Punk on Raw anymore because I find his connection with this albatross of a stable to be legitimately depressing.

They fucked Punk over one too many times for me to have faith in where he's going now.

· Banned
5,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm concerned about that because they went from Punk being a genuinely interesting cult leader to leading a bunch of jobbers.
Mate, come on, the Nexus is shit. They've always been shit. Their whole deal is tacky and boring. Yellow and black, it's generic, they're all generic, they don't have any personality, not ONE of them since Barrett left.
I can barely watch Punk on Raw anymore because I find his connection with this albatross of a stable to be legitimately depressing.

They fucked Punk over one too many times for me to have faith in where he's going now.
Forget about the New Nexus for a second. WWE no longer really cares about them. They are there to enhance Punk's character now and it's working very well. Punk is thriving. Stop worrying so much. Punk is getting the booking now which he should have during SES. I think WWE have realised the mistake they made with SES. Like I said, just sit back and relax and try to enjoy what's happening. He's not being fucked over right now so you shouldn't be all on edge bro.

· Registered
5,747 Posts
So....this is how over Punk is ever going to get, right? Cuz this IS him at his best, non?

· Banned
5,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Punk is probably the best heel in the WWE at the moment even though I like The Miz but Punk is differant class.
I don't think it is even close at the moment. Punk is by far and away the best heel in WWE right now.

So....this is how over Punk is ever going to get, right? Cuz this IS him at his best, non?
Eh?

· Registered
5,747 Posts
The OP states we are seeing him at his prime. The reactions he gets whereever he goes cements this. But I am under no illusions of CM Punk breaking that ceiling. So I must ask, does he continue to rise? Or are we seeing him at his height? I expect atleast two more reigns, but past that I cannot be certain.

· Banned
5,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The OP states we are seeing him at his prime. The reactions he gets whereever he goes cements this. But I am under no illusions of CM Punk breaking that ceiling. So I must ask, does he continue to rise? Or are we seeing him at his height? I expect atleast two more reigns, but past that I cannot be certain.
Oh right. If I was sending a message that I think Punk is absolutely at his peak now and cannot improve anymore that's not what I was trying to say. I think he still has the potential to improve on what he has now. All I'm trying to say is right now he is on top form and long may it continue.

· Valar Morghulis
32,298 Posts
Punk's mannerisms are amazing. Just watching the little things he does, he sells the product, and puts himself over as a character very well. The elimination showed that perectly, the banging on the glass, the maniacal look, it's all fucking great.

Let him drop New Nexus though, they're all garbage, and they don't help him.

· Banned
5,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Let him drop New Nexus though, they're all garbage, and they don't help him.
I think they do help him. They add to his character of being a manipulative asshole. I know it's distasteful but Punk right now is kind of like a Hitler-lite. He's evil and knows just how to influence people into succumbing to and believing in his demands.

· Banned
5,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's known that Vince is very high on Punk so that's all that matters. He'll get a title shot soon enough
I don't think Punk needs the title to be honest. I actually think it will hinder his character if he wins the title because for some reason as soon as a heel gets the title WWE turns them into a pussy. Now I know in my OP I kept banging on about how Punk has overcome Cowardly Heel Syndrome but I'm scared WWE might panic if they give him the belt. I think people put to much emphasis on a wrestler having the title these days. The title doesn't mean all that much anymore. As long as the wrestler is at the heart of a good storyline and is providing entertaining TV, that's all that matters in my eyes. Personally I'd prefer to see people like Orton and Punk in the middle of heated feuds than needlessly chasing the title.

· Registered
7,601 Posts
I wouldn't say that this is the best i have ever seen of CM Punk as his ROH run was the best i have ever seen of him as a wrestler and as a character and i wouldn't even say that this is the best we have seen of CM Punk in WWE as i believe he was better as a heel in 2009 in his feud with Jeff Hardy. The worst possible thing that WWE could have ever done was put him straight into a feud with The Undertaker because he was never going to look great in that feud and that was probably the starting point for why CM Punk has taken until he attacked John Cena after the TLC PPV to get back to where he is now.

What i do worry about though is CM Punk losing in this feud with Randy Orton because from there on in where does he go as he will not be anywhere near big enough on the back of losing that feud to work with John Cena or Triple H which would then leave mid card feuds with Bryan Danielson. R-Truth, Evan Bourne or John Morrison on offer which are a HUGE step backwards in my opinion. I am praying for CM Punk to beat Randy Orton at Extreme Rules and then again in another match after that so he wins the feud because i don't believe for a second CM Punk is winning at WrestleMania so maybe after winning the following two matches if Orton/Punk goes that long will leave him in good stead for a feud with either John Cena or Triple H going into the middle of the year.

· Banned
5,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What i do worry about though is CM Punk losing in this feud with Randy Orton because from there on in where does he go as he will not be anywhere near big enough on the back of losing that feud to work with John Cena or Triple H which would then leave mid card feuds with Bryan Danielson. R-Truth, Evan Bourne or John Morrison on offer which are a HUGE step backwards in my opinion. I am praying for CM Punk to beat Randy Orton at Extreme Rules and then again in another match after that so he wins the feud because i don't believe for a second CM Punk is winning at WrestleMania so maybe after winning the following two matches if Orton/Punk goes that long will leave him in good stead for a feud with either John Cena or Triple H going into the middle of the year.
As a fan of both Orton and Punk I honestly believe Orton needs to come out on top in this feud more. It's a hard one really. Both wrestlers are trying to rebuild themselves to reach the pinnacle once again but Orton's character has really suffered and is big need of a huge win in a personal feud. I think Punk will be fine if he lost but if Orton lost I think it would severely hurt his credibility. He's supposed to be up there with Cena credibility-wise. I think if dealt with properly both can come off great from this feud, even if Punk were to lose. It just needs to be done properly.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.