Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who else watches/buys these dvds? They are by far the best company to dig up, restore and package lost gems, classics or newer films that flew under the radar along with a few blockbusters so they could get their name out. They were also the company that innovated the special features which started on laser disc.

"The Criterion Collection, a continuing series of important classic and contemporary films, is dedicated to gathering the greatest films from around the world and publishing them in editions that offer the highest technical quality and award-winning, original supplements. Criterion began with a mission to pull the treasures of world cinema out of the film vaults and put them in the hands of collectors. All of the films published under the Criterion banner represent cinema at its finest."

Releases for September
Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence [9/28]
The Thin Red Line [9/28]

Releases for October
The Magician [10/12]
The Darjeeling Limited [10/12]
Paths of Glory [10/26]
House [10/26]

Releases for November
Antichrist [11/9]
The Night of the Hunter [11/16]
Modern Times [11/16]

Releases for December
America: Lost and Found: The BBS Story [12/14]

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I have a few Criterion titles in my DVD library. Haven't purchased anything for a long time though I'm considering to get Nobuhiko Obayashi's "House" on Blu-ray.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a few Criterion titles in my DVD library. Haven't purchased anything for a long time though I'm considering to get Nobuhiko Obayashi's "House" on Blu-ray.
Same here. That film looks like a blast.

I have:
Seven Samurai
The Seventh Seal
Salo, or 120 Days of Sodom
Shock Corridor
M
The Third Man
Yojimbo
The Last Temptation of Christ
Cries and Whispers
8 1/2
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Tokyo Story
The Battle of Algiers
Fanny and Alexander
Divorce, Italian Style
Bicycle Thieves
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,748 Posts
i have some. i wouldn't really know because i don't really notice anything about the DVD except the title of the movie. but i've seen the name before in my collection. props on them for doing what they do.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another thing that I love about Criterion is the care that they put into their packaging, supplements and overall product more than any other releasing company in the world. While their releases are pretty expensive if you buy them right out of the store but the work that they put into each release (although some of them are below standards but the later ones are immaculate) is well deserving of the price not to mention how expensive it was to buy the rights and the restoration and how niche the product is.

One of my favorite covers of the latest releases.

·
Banned
564 Posts
I have like 230 on DVD, mostly from before the re-design. I've stopped getting them now as I moved up to blu-ray only. Only going to cherry pick my favourites on blu-ray as there is no point in buying stuff i'm never going to re-watch, and I'm never gonna get a complete collection, so theres no point in collecting them either.

On blu I have:
Paris, Texas
8 1/2
The Man Who Fell To Earth
Howards End
The 400 Blows

I'll probably get Night of the Hunter, and Sweet Swell of Success of the next batch announced.

·
Banned
564 Posts
Picked up Night of the Hunter, and as expected, GOAT worthy release. They also announced Double Life of Veronique on blu, but I already picked up the Artificial Eye version, which is damn fine anyway, so no big loss there.

I'll be getting Videodrome in two weeks, great movie. Sold the DVD version a few weeks back, it's awesome that these don't lose their resale value, I got more for the DVD than I paid for the Blu.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts