Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently Kazuchika Okada has been champion for 443 days which makes his 2nd for longest champion in a single reign. Shinya Hashimoto with 489 days. Okada is 46 days away from breaking the record and with Wrestle Kingdom 121 days away, it's a given that Okada will break the record beofre his match with Naito.

So, how has Okada's reigns been so far and what does him breaking the record mean for his legacy.

·
Le Champion
18,816 Posts
vs. Marufuji - Didn't see
vs. Omega I - **** 3/4
vs. Suzuki - *
vs. Shibata - *****
vs. Fale - *** 1/2
vs. Omega II - **
vs. Cody - ** 1/2

Obviously been a bit of mixed bag for me. :p Good for him though. Gedo won't stop til he's the true biggest ace in company history. No doubt he'll break all the rest of the IWGP Title records currently held by Tana considering he's only 29 fucking years old (insane).

·
Intoner
6,591 Posts
Finnaly. They have been hot potatoing the belt for years.

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do you see? Other than Naito's 2 month transitional reign, the shortest run of the last 6 years was Tanahashi's last run with the belt (2014-15) and that still went 4 months.
To be fair that's hot potatoing by new japan standards.

BTW his marufuji match was really good. I say the G1 match was better but that's just me.

·
Le Champion
18,816 Posts
To be fair that's hot potatoing by new japan standards.
I mean, I guess but that still seems like a stretch to say.

If anything I could say that I'd like to see an actual variety of people hold the IWGP and not the same 4. I get the whole prestige of the belt argument and how only a select few should be the ones holding it, but it's been the same dudes for years now. Since 2011:

Tanahashi
Okada
Tanahashi
Okada
Styles
Tanahashi
Styles
Okada
Naito
Okada
Naito next presumably

It's basically two guys just trading reigns until a 3rd is entered the picture (maybe that's what Morrison means by hot potatoing?). Not that I'm complaining about match quality, it just takes the believability factor out of it at times.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
So the 4 absolute best wrestlers holding the IWGP Heavyweight Championship for the past 6 years=hot potatoing. Okay.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
The only other wrestlers credible enough or over enough to hold that belt were Nakamura but he left for WWE before putting over Omega and perhaps moving on to face Nakamura. Now Omega and Naito are credible perhaps Evil later down the road.

Good for Okada. He's a worthy Ace.

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
The thing about an NJPW run is that they don’t defend the belt “every 30 days” which is a usual trope for a North American company. Not saying all companies… as RoH in the old days used to have a title match every show. So much so that when Nigel couldn’t defend the title he was shit on by the RoHBots… but I digress. And of course the WWE fans are now seeing Lesnar defend their Raw title infrequently as well. So conventions are out the door. However in saying that longer title reigns are part of the course in NJPW because they only defend the title every 2 months or so.

How has his reign been, well the fact that it has gone as long as it has, and not felt stale is a good start. He most definitely walks, looks and wrestles like a champion. He has been champion a few times before and had burned through some big title challengers in those reigns, so he has done a great job with those he has had to fight in this reign. I feel even though he has won them all, he has elevated most of his opponents to another level for credibility.

Everyone wants Naito to beat Okada at the Dome, as do I. But I can actually see Gedo saying “Nope” and having Okada retain just so he cements his new Ace, and then Naito or Omega may take it at New Beginnings 2018.

·
Won't shut up about Peyton Royce
17,649 Posts
So the 4 absolute best wrestlers holding the IWGP Heavyweight Championship for the past 6 years=hot potatoing. Okay.
Nakamura and Omega haven't hold it in those past 6 years though, and they were every bit as good.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The thing about an NJPW run is that they don’t defend the belt “every 30 days” which is a usual trope for a North American company. Not saying all companies… as RoH in the old days used to have a title match every show. So much so that when Nigel couldn’t defend the title he was shit on by the RoHBots… but I digress. And of course the WWE fans are now seeing Lesnar defend their Raw title infrequently as well. So conventions are out the door. However in saying that longer title reigns are part of the course in NJPW because they only defend the title every 2 months or so.

How has his reign been, well the fact that it has gone as long as it has, and not felt stale is a good start. He most definitely walks, looks and wrestles like a champion. He has been champion a few times before and had burned through some big title challengers in those reigns, so he has done a great job with those he has had to fight in this reign. I feel even though he has won them all, he has elevated most of his opponents to another level for credibility.

Everyone wants Naito to beat Okada at the Dome, as do I. But I can actually see Gedo saying “Nope” and having Okada retain just so he cements his new Ace, and then Naito or Omega may take it at New Beginnings 2018.
USA care more of the days held the title and Japan of the number of defense.
Okada will have 8 defense(what is normally a good number of defense) when he goes to WK, if he retain they will make him go to the tanahashi 11 defense record and not breaking it a month later in a match with lesser heat.

·
Premium Member
4,759 Posts
It's not even the length of the reign, but the quality of matches he has had since his reign has started, along with the matches he had in the G1, just unreal

·
Registered
9,974 Posts
The length and quality of his reign is something I haven't seen in all my years as a fan. There's not even a single world championship run in any company that I can think of that has been better than this.

When it's all set and done, Okada is going to be in that rarefied air as a GOAT.

·
When we all fall alseep where do we go?
23,631 Posts
The dude is not just a machine but THE effing machine. Pumping out all these mega classic matches and getting that well deserved spot as PWI's #1 wrestler and its all just the beginning. It will be a huge blow for this promotion if he ever takes a WWE deal thats for sure. I do feel bad for Naito (Who is actually my fav wrestler in this promotion and one of my favs in the world today) having that crap reign he had, I would like to see him win the title but just as bad like everyone else I want to see Omega have yet another classic with him for it too. Either way this is well deserved for the Rainmaker.

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
USA care more of the days held the title and Japan of the number of defense.
Okada will have 8 defense(what is normally a good number of defense) when he goes to WK, if he retain they will make him go to the tanahashi 11 defense record and not breaking it a month later in a match with lesser heat.
Yep, I'm sure Gedo is probably deeply thinking about whether Okada should break Tana's 11 title defence record or not right now. He has been building Okada up as the ace for some time. This is one of those puzzle peices that he may want to add to Okada's career.

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The only other wrestlers credible enough or over enough to hold that belt were Nakamura but he left for WWE before putting over Omega and perhaps moving on to face Nakamura. Now Omega and Naito are credible perhaps Evil later down the road.

Good for Okada. He's a worthy Ace.

Hiroshi Tanahashi???? Also Okada vs Nakamura would have never happened outside of the G1 or New Japan Cup since they were both CHAOS.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I think Okada will break the all time days as IWGP Heavyweight Champion record from Tanahashi if he makes it to Wrestle Kingdom, as well. In 4 reigns where it took Tanahashi 7.

·
Banned
9,951 Posts
As big of a fan as I am of Okada, he objectively is a top 3 wrestler in the world today, he probably had the easiest route to putting on a great match catalogue I have ever seen in NJPW. Main event match against other top 5 wrestlers again and again and again and again. He's had a great title reign though, and no one can take that away from him.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts