Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as we are heading into SummerSlam I want to discuss some thoughts
on the underlying conflict that drives Nexus vs WWE Superteam.

Obviously the Nexus is a cohesive group of people. They do have a
leader but he is not dominating the others. Individual members of
the group are e.g. called out to give their views in statements and
speak out to the crowd. This even furthers the bond of the group
as they are not simple servants but care about reaching the goals.
The have formed under pressure to be excluded from the company
after NXT 1 which even enhances the feeling of brotherhood.

There seems to be a central moralistic view to this society called
Nexus which could be described best by "the sum is greater than
the parts". This idea leads to a state of mind where the individual
is willing to make sacrifices for the "greater good" of the group.

By contrast the group of WWE Superstars consists of people who have
no inner attachement to the group. They all see the group as an
extension of their own personality. They incorporate selfish goals.
They do not truly care about the company but seek ways to escape
their destruction by Nexus. At the very first test they lost
two members of the alliance and another one is on the verge of
switching sides.

All of this reminds me of the Cold War- Communism vs Democracy.
(That being said please don´t take too much energy into pointing
out the differences from the wrestling angle to the real world from
1947 to 1991.) I would like to discuss with you if
- you think that the resemblance is there and to which degree
- you can think of other/better analogies from this angle to real
world phenomenons
- you like to see such "spill overs" to get incorporated into the wrestling world
- the model would make the Nexus a heel faction per se or if there is a way to
justify what they did.

PS: I think this touches more than the Nexus faction itself therefore I
made a new thread.
PPS: Wall of text, I know.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Look, kudos for the thought and effort. But as a History BA graduate its kind of BS to be honest. The Cold war involved two egos fighting against each other without ACTUALLY fighting. It was all propaganda and science. This, lets face it is a wrestling angle, and in this era (PG) not half as much thought goes into the shit. The one storyline that compelled me in recent times was Jericho/HBK. That actually had some thought behind it. Most storylines these days are over-analysed because of LACK OF SUBSTANCE.

The wwe don't even know where the storyline is going. It IS a great angle and its got me watching week after week, but I don't want to ruin it and over analyze because I always end up dissapointed.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
someone needs to find a bird and go get some me thinks.
kudos for the thought that went into it but seriously, its wrestling and creative arent that creative.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,792 Posts
I do think WWE creative has intentionally drawn parallels between the Nexus faction and a militant, hive-minded terrorist network utilizing terror and mayhem to get what they want politically.

However, I don't see the Cold War analogy fitting.

This storyline echoes other factional war arcs during which an overpowering heel group acts as a cohesive whole versus a bunch of babyfaces who are blinded by their own individual agendas. nWo vs. WCW played this up all the time; for a little while, WWF vs. The Alliance did as well. I enjoy the dichotomy and think the WWE's doing a solid job of letting a retread play out without it feeling so much like a retread, partly due to time and because it's been effectively-mounted by creative since the Money in the Bank PPV.

The storylinee is similar to the nWo vs. WCW with the announcers questioning how the babyface group created to thwart the heel faction can coexist and work together, and the WWF vs. Alliance angle from 2001 as well, which echoed generally familiar themes.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,027 Posts
An interesting theory that i never realised until now. It does seem a little like the rivalry between democracy and communism but I think it's just a coincidence.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I do think WWE creative has intentionally drawn parallels between the Nexus faction and a militant, hive-minded terrorist network utilizing terror and mayhem to get what they want politically.

However, I don't see the Cold War analogy fitting.

This storyline echoes other factional war arcs during which an overpowering heel group acts as a cohesive whole versus a bunch of babyfaces who are blinded by their own individual agendas. nWo vs. WCW played this up all the time; for a little while, WWF vs. The Alliance did as well. I enjoy the dichotomy and think the WWE's doing a solid job of letting a retread play out without it feeling so much like a retread, partly due to time and because it's been effectively-mounted by creative since the Money in the Bank PPV.

The storylinee is similar to the nWo vs. WCW with the announcers questioning how the babyface group created to thwart the heel faction can coexist and work together, and the WWF vs. Alliance angle from 2001 as well, which echoed generally familiar themes.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Cool read, good theory. I wish wwe had put as much thought into it but I doubt they have. Hopefully the wwe continue to implode and blame Cena when/if Nexus win at Summerslam. I like the idea of people blaming Cena for the arrival of Nexus and everyone gradually turning against him.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,792 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA
I'm glad you could get a good laugh out of something today, thanks for sharing with everybody.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts