Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Banned
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one who was surprised by how much chemistry they displayed in the little time they had? Their styles work perfectly off each other. They put on a pretty good feud back in 2006 but I wasn't expecting them to still have that chemistry. I think before Rey retires these two should definitely have another feud as face vs face cos it means the offence is more back to back when compared to Rey's regular matches of him getting beat down for the entire thing. Same thing kinda applies to Orton really.

Am I the only one who wants to see these two feud just because of the match quality?

· Registered
20,781 Posts
Orton tends to work well with fast-moving high flyers and Rey works well with just about anyone with any wrestling competency.

But yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing them go again. Maybe not as face/face since that would be a boring feud outside of the ring.

· Banned
18,124 Posts
They had some very good matches back in 2006. Rey can carry anyone to the great match.

· I must away and tend to my ravens
12,061 Posts
They do work well together but last night wasn't a great example, they were practically sleepwalking out there. Obviously there was no planned finish due to the backstage segment with Punk but even allowing for that they really didn't bring it.

· Registered
3,886 Posts
I think it's because it's not the classic big man little man thing, with 6'5 Orton and 5'2 Rey you'd expect it to be, they make it their own though. It's pretty unique chemistry, something you wouldn't expect (similar to Austin v. HBK, they had it great), can't quite put my finger on it, how the chemisty is how it is, but they do have chemistry.

· Celestial Messiah
38,520 Posts
They had two brilliant matches in 2006.

No Way Out and the Smackdown after Wrestlemania. Both incredible. That was Orton's peak right there. The asshole piece of shit bully who abused Rey Mysterio.

· Registered
364 Posts
They had two brilliant matches in 2006.

No Way Out and the Smackdown after Wrestlemania. Both incredible. That was Orton's peak right there. The asshole piece of shit bully who abused Rey Mysterio.
I wouldn't say it was his peak. I think Orton has improved leaps and bounds. His sadistic control segments these days are a joy to behold. Although, granted, many people find them boring. I love his whole Viper schtick, too. I don't think he's gotten any worse, personally.

You're quite right though, these were great, great matches.

· Banned
5,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wouldn't say it was his peak. I think Orton has improved leaps and bounds. His sadistic control segments these days are a joy to behold. Although, granted, many people find them boring. I love his whole Viper schtick, too. I don't think he's gotten any worse, personally.
Sssssshhhhh, it's cool to hate on current Orton and act oblivious to the fact that Orton reached a whole new entire level when he adopted The Viper gimmick.

· Registered
6,114 Posts
I thought their match was very good, especially for what it was which was a short, fast-paced match. Orton should do this fast-paced stuff more often and spread his signature moves a bit more rather than do 5 move combos like Cena does because firstly, it's more exciting and it's also less predictable.

· Registered
951 Posts
It was a pretty decent match altogether. Quite honestly I'm surprised Rhodes didn't attack Rey after Orton left, but thats for a whole different discussion.

· Registered
364 Posts
I don't think a short, 5 minute TV match should be any less likey to get an accolade than a 25 minute main event. Why are those main events thought of as 'better', because the WWE tells us to think that way? Sure, more time allocated to a match allows for more emotions to be invoked, but that's not ALWAYS the case; it entirely depends on the talent in the ring.

Some of the finer Umaga squash matches and the Punk/Regal 5-7 minute series in 2007 I would rate well above a lot of PPV man events. See here for an example:

http://www.wrestlingforum.com/blogs...08-3-cm-punk-v-william-regal-raw-7-28-08.html

/shameless blog plug

· The Winds of Change
5,604 Posts
If they ever turn Orton heel again, Mysterio would be the perfect guy for him to work with. Perhaps we'll get something after Mania with the brand draft and whatnot.
I agree with this. Cena/Orton was done to death, and Rey is the superman of Smackdown. They could draft him over there and it could be fresh. The only thing is I don't see them turning Orton back heel any time soon.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.