Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Orton Marks, Guess What?

Since I try to be fair, and I always admit when Orton bores me every week, I'll admit this: the guy did a solid job on the mic last night. He didn't drag segments down with his blandness like he usually does. The crowd seemed fairly into him too. And he did it without relying on a thousand RKOs and punt threats to get a reaction. Can't ask for more from the guy than that, at this point.

Either he's gotten better, gotten better material, or my standards have sunk past the point of no return. Either way, I was entertained.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Re: Hey Orton Marks, Guess What?

I think he was just given something different to do other than pose and hit RKO's which made actually come across as credible.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Honestly if you guys didnt see him pandering to the crowd a little more then i dunno what to say. the way he talks and his actions have been leaving the guessing a lot lately and he eventually had to at least show them in some fashion that he is a face by at least smiling and addressing them in a more subtle way now, instead of basically acting like they are non existent. He did do much, just a couple of hand raising yelling and shades of the Eddie Guerrero cheating, then leaning in the audience like "i didnt do nothing" lol...

but its a change i welcome... they are keeping his attitude in tact but just changing the way he interacts with the people which i think is a good thing... they ate is up at the start of the show and ate the end... and he's not overdoing it..

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Re: Hey Orton Marks, Guess What?

Yup, he was pretty good.

·
i ain't got no type
1,490 Posts
Orton is a dominant force and has been a favorite of mine week in and week out for years dating back to the days of Evolution. His act has gotten boring, I liked it when he lived up to the Legend Killer name.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
at first i wasnt liking the sudden change in orton, but at the end, like someone else mentioned, it reminded me of eddie and others as well...he did what he had to do to win. i'm still not sold on the pandering, but i guess he has to...it's just figuring out how to do it without making himself look "soft" that will be a/the challenge...last night he did alright though.

·
Banned
7,761 Posts
I noticed it too. Made Orton seem more human, which is a good thing considering he IS a face now.

I think creative are starting to realize that you can only have a guy stand around looking pissed, never talking, and RKOing random people for no reason, before people start to get bored.

However, they need to cut that awkward smiling BS when he's holding the championship. It's just too weird.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I love the position this storyline has put him in. He's being overlooked as WWE Champion by the feud between Cena and Barret, but at the end of the day it's Orton fighting for his title at Survivor Series. It's really created something special, and I think that match is going to be a lot of fun to watch. Orton fighting Barret and Cena at the same time. It almost doesn't make sense, but seems inevitable.

So his change in character is almost being forced by the storyline, but it's definitely in a good way.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Good for you. Nobody else cares if he entertains you or not though, so this thread is not necassary

·
Recognize
21,378 Posts
On the one hand I'm happy that he was allowed to show a little character and do more than RKO people. But on the other hand I'm not quite sure I like what character they are trying to portray. He was pandering to the fans and talking about respect for the title? Come on, that's not Orton. I really hope they don't turn him into another cookie cutter face. He needs to keep that edge to him otherwise this will be a huge fail.

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
He can only seem good when someone else carries him. Also, Rtruth sounds like lil Wayne (not a good thing :p)

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,078 Posts
Last night he was more fan-friendly, happy-go-lucky, smiling broadly, chatting up R-Truth like he was one of his buds for vague reasons and pandering to the crowd by raising his arms practically every time he hit an offensive move.

I get what they're doing. They're attempting to recast Orton as the straight face while Cena is effectively "tweenerized" as Barrett's errand boy/bitch who just might screw Orton over at Survivor Series. Not sure how it's going to work for everyone involved, though.

The longer last night's Orton continues, the more his demented "Viper" character begins to die, frankly.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
He did a pretty solid job on the mic last night .. He is not great on the mic, but he can hold his own in a segment .. The Viper character had started to get real boring .. It has run its course .. Not talking at all , making angry faces , RKOing people , threatening to punt them , throwing a fit, his character needs to be refreshed now .. I don't think this is just for the storyline, I think we are going to see a more face Orton from now on ..

·
The Winds of Change
5,627 Posts
Last night he was more fan-friendly, happy-go-lucky, smiling broadly, chatting up R-Truth like he was one of his buds for vague reasons and pandering to the crowd by raising his arms practically every time he hit an offensive move.

I get what they're doing. They're attempting to recast Orton as the straight face while Cena is effectively "tweenerized" as Barrett's errand boy/bitch who just might screw Orton over at Survivor Series. Not sure how it's going to work for everyone involved, though.

The longer last night's Orton continues, the more his demented "Viper" character begins to die, frankly.
I love the position this storyline has put him in. He's being overlooked as WWE Champion by the feud between Cena and Barret, but at the end of the day it's Orton fighting for his title at Survivor Series. It's really created something special, and I think that match is going to be a lot of fun to watch. Orton fighting Barret and Cena at the same time. It almost doesn't make sense, but seems inevitable.

So his change in character is almost being forced by the storyline, but it's definitely in a good way.
First of all, I agree with both of you. DesolationRow, in regards to his demented Viper character dying, I don't know if it will necessarily die, but I think it may be toned down. I am a big Orton fan, but he was even getting a little over the top for my liking with his freak outs before RKO's and playing up the whole crazy thing in general. And I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing that the insanity piece of his character could be toned down. His punching the ground and yelling is pretty bad ass, but running the hands over his face with the demented look on his face was a little much...lol.

Last night was an interesting testing of the waters in the opening segment in my opinion...and just the over all way the storyline is going now, with Cena and Orton. Don.Corleone said it perfectly, in that they have created a special dynamic here with the whole Orton/Cena/Barrett situation. It really is a storyline that could viably go in variety of different directions.

And lastly to address DesolationRow's comment on being "not sure how it is going to work out for everyone involved" - I'm not sure either. I think this could be one of those rare occasions where the direction of a major storyline could be altered by the fans, and the way it is precieved. I was a little worried last night that the fans would not hold their ground behind Orton while he was confronting Cena, but they did. Orton held his ground as a babyface in the altercation, and I thought how interesting it would be if the fans actually turned on Cena at Survior Series...which could happen.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,078 Posts
Great post, NoLeafCloverRKO. And I agree with you about how the storyline is really working out for the three main characters in the moment, at least. It's a good, strong dynamic. I'm trying to think of a good parallel trifecta where WWE could have run a similar storyline and I think you could see it being Triple H (Wade Barrett) manipulating the strait-laced, goody babyface who for one reason or another is under Triple H's thumb, that being Mick Foley (John Cena), with the more roguish tweener but more wholeheartedly embraced face, Steve Austin (Randy Orton), not trusting Foley/Cena while obviously understanding that Triple H/Barrett is pulling the strings.

(And no, folks, my comparison between Orton and Austin, Cena and Foley and Triple H and Barrett goes no further than that in this case.)

It's a good, sound storyline that has a lot of possible outcomes for everyone involved. And most importantly, I do agree with you that Orton's acting had become pretty over-the-top as of late and most likely needed to be toned down some. It might make it more special when he actually does "lose it" again. Guess we'll see where they take this in the coming weeks.

Reactions: Akihiko

·
Banned
6,658 Posts
Please, Orton's "face" character is, and has been awful. Don't get me wrong, his heel stint in Legacy was awful as well. Orton was one of the better "heels" in the business during his build to the World title win off of Chris Benoit. I can't believe they actually changed that character. Such a shame. Orton even admitted himself that his old character from 2004-05 was his favorite. Go figure.:no:

·
Registered
559 Posts
he seemed to have given up that " i talk like im reading something unfamiliar" vibe last night. i like it, he showed some kind of mic skill that he once had back in the day. i hope he stays like that. he was more cookie cutter, but still viperish

1 - 20 of 24 Posts