Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For many years WWE has brought us some truly memorable video packages to promote feuds and main events, from the epic 6 Man HIAC one for Armageddon ("there will be blood!") the WWF Desire ones, to more recently the Eddie tribute featuring Johnny Cash's cover of 'Hurt', and HBK/Taker's Mania promo featuring Placebo's cover of 'Running Up That Hill'.

Just finished watching this week's NXT on Sky, and half way through I saw the pretty damn epic, emotion-fuelled package chronicling Cena's dilemma heading into Survivor Series. The use of footage throughout his WWE tenure, and the song that played in the latter half of the promo, to every Desire-esque close-up shot of his face, his eyes... something about that song that played (I need an ID on that btw) was just amazing. Easily the best work from that department since Taker/HBK II.

If you missed it...

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
Well yeah but I feel like they are exaggerating this a little bit , I mean... whats he REALLY doing here... they act like its some huge deal

The way they talk about it you'd think the stipulation is either Cena kills 50 random fans of his from the audience with his bare hands , or hes fired or some shit , screwing a guy out of his title reign going on any longer isn't even close to as bad as they are acting like it is

The way I see it its like

• Randy Orton : 56,862 time WWE champion. So why exactly is it a big deal to screw him out of this reign?
  • Randy Orton : Does not even get along with Cena and has RKO'ed him many times throughout this whole thing and threatened to punt Cena

So like , realistically speaking unless John Cena was like the most morally sound person who ever existed (and I don't think anyone in their right mind expects him to be that way) he would indeed screw Randy at SS and keep his job. Losing his job would simply not be worth letting Randy Orton hold onto that title untill what... When Cenas at home watching TV when Wade Barrett beats Orton for the title the next day on RAW somehow or something? For when Sheamus comes take it back off him a month later? Like its THAT big of a deal?!

Orton has to lose the title eventually , so you know... all I gotta say about that is if Cena ACTUALLY counts 1-2-3 for Orton to win then he is a (kayfabe ofc) moron

If Orton actually retains the title well... thats gonna be all kinds of swerving then

·
Banned
4,312 Posts
Wow....if the WWE tells you Cena is the be and end all, I guess he is.

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
Cena won't let barett win un;ess barett cheats w/o cena noticing.

·
These days I find beauty as depressing as years be
13,975 Posts
wow, that was epic.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well yeah but I feel like they are exaggerating this a little bit , I mean... whats he REALLY doing here... they act like its some huge deal

The way they talk about it you'd think the stipulation is either Cena kills 50 random fans of his from the audience with his bare hands , or hes fired or some shit , screwing a guy out of his title reign going on any longer isn't even close to as bad as they are acting like it is

• Randy Orton : 56,862 time WWE champion. So why exactly is it a big deal to screw him out of this reign?
  • Randy Orton : Does not even get along with Cena and has RKO'ed him many times throughout this whole thing and threatened to punt Cena

So like , realistically speaking unless John Cena was like the most morally sound person who ever existed (and I don't think anyone in their right mind expects him to be that way) he would indeed screw Randy at SS and keep his job. Losing his job would simply not be worth letting Randy Orton hold onto that title untill what... When Cenas at home watching TV when Wade Barrett beats Orton for the title the next day on RAW somehow or something? For when Sheamus comes take it back off him a month later? Like its THAT big of a deal?!

Orton has to lose the title eventually , so you know... all I gotta say about that is if Cena ACTUALLY counts 1-2-3 for Orton to win then he is a (kayfabe ofc) moron

If Orton actually retains the title well... thats gonna be all kinds of swerving then
Ultimately I agree totally with the point you're making. Orton is basically nothing but a douche to Cena, so in regards to everything Roddy was saying - well, principles go out of the window when it comes to someone you don't get along with, regardless of whether you're a babyface or a superheel. If it was Cena's mother holding the title, or to a lesser extent R Truth, then it would have relevance.

But anyway, I was talking about how well put together this video was, not the exaggeration of the promotion. :p

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts

Suspend your belief bro. Cynicism and years of watching may have crippled your interest in the title but some people take this shit very seriously. And they should, that title is the most important thing in the world. At one it truly meant you were the very best in the world.

Even though its not THAT important, it has to look like it. Because thats wrestling. To make you believe this little strap of gold is worth your entire life.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Suspend your belief bro. Cynicism and years of watching may have crippled your interest in the title but some people take this shit very seriously. And they should, that title is the most important thing in the world. At one it truly meant you were the very best in the world.

Even though its not THAT important, it has to look like it. Because thats wrestling. To make you believe this little strap of gold is worth your entire life.
And everything you said there just reaffirms how awesome Piper was on RAW this week. He made that title MATTER. You actually felt saddened for himself and the others, now deemed "Legends", who never got to taste that gold. It's about the not-haves - THAT is how you make a title mean something.

·
#RiseAbove
1,471 Posts
It's getting ever more important again...and I'll be there to see it WWWYKI!!!

Ryder references aside though, the image at 2:30 with Cena standing with Barrett in the background faded --->>> AWESOME.

·
One Man Dynasty Here To Save Myself
237 Posts
This was a proper good promo video equally comparing to hbk/taker placebo running up that hill but does anyone know what the song they used?

·
i ain't got no type
1,490 Posts
Cena will probably do the right thing, because WWE Legends have been calling him out about it.

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
I've been starting to like Cena recently with the prospect of him becoming a heel , if he pussies out and gets fired just so that some dickhead who RKO's him 46 times a week can keep a title he's gonna lose in a month or so regardless.... I can't help but think I would dislike Cena for that.

Hustle. Loyalty. Respect.

Hustle? You don't Hustle by getting fired.

Loyalty? You're Nexus... now show your friggin Loyalty...

Respect? Clearly Orton doesn't respect you so don't respect him back....

Cena... :no: DON'T give Orton the belt :no:

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I've been starting to like Cena recently with the prospect of him becoming a heel , if he pussies out and gets fired just so that some dickhead who RKO's him 46 times a week can keep a title he's gonna lose in a month or so regardless.... I can't help but think I would dislike Cena for that.

Hustle. Loyalty. Respect.

Hustle? You don't Hustle by getting fired.

Loyalty? You're Nexus... now show your friggin Loyalty...

Respect? Clearly Orton doesn't respect you so don't respect him back....

Cena... :no: DON'T give Orton the belt :no:
I'd wish Orton lost and Cena didn't turn heel. Actually,what's the great appeal of being a heel? I know Cena's current gimmick is stale,but that doesn't mean he has to turn heel,just give him a new one like they did with his Marine and Rapper-like gimmicks.

·
Registered
169 Posts
This was a proper good promo video equally comparing to hbk/taker placebo running up that hill but does anyone know what the song they used?
The first track was off Angels&Airwaves latest album by the sound of it. No idea about the other one.

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
I'd wish Orton lost and Cena didn't turn heel. Actually,what's the great appeal of being a heel? I know Cena's current gimmick is stale,but that doesn't mean he has to turn heel,just give him a new one like they did with his Marine and Rapper-like gimmicks.
You're talking like its already happened. It hasn't and it won't.

·
Banned
542 Posts
1 - 20 of 58 Posts