Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The camera did not pick up key moments during what is considered one of the premier events of the year.

It completely missed Edge's 1st spear or wrestling move since his return from retirement and was more focussed towards the crowd.

Corbin's elimination was also not presented properly and several instances of signature moves performed by several wrestlers were also shot amateurishly or missed altogether.

Every time a signature move is performed, or a key spot occurs, one is pre conditioned to anticipate a crowd shot soon after. This affects the viewer experience and takes away from the performer's efforts. Most of the time, the crowd shots are delayed or miss the reaction when it's most expressive and that just defeats the purpose.

WWE gets brickbats for it's creative, but in the past few years, the crowd shots and wayward production is affecting the product more perniciously. This kind of production may have begun sometime during the network era during all those visuals of the shocked crowd after the streak ended. Or after Goldberg upset Lesnar at Survivor Series. Even Styles WWE debut at the 2016 Royal Rumble had a similar camera gaffe.

Obviously, highlighting the crowd is required to encompass the whole experience. But one watches the product for the drama interspersed with acrobatics and athletics. Not to miss the same by looking at how someone else reacts. It is not this intrusive during promos or entrances because that's more about the spectacle. But when it comes to the wrestler's performances, this sort of camerwork should be regulated.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
How many more millions of dollars does Kevin Dunn need to earn? And wouldn't he already have a sizeable piece of the company. It is fine to move on, dude.

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
3,523 Posts
To be clear, the camera work is not the issue. The DIRECTION is the problem.

The cameramen are capturing the action; it’s the director’s job to select which camera angle to use at any given moment. There were MULTIPLE cameras pointed right at Edge for that spear, for example; the (idiotic) choice to instead show the crowd is the director’s fault. Camera work has absolutely nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m still in complete and utter disbelief over Edge’s spear.

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING? Do we get the first official spear in an actual match from Edge in nearly a decade after we thought we’d never see it again, completing one of the greatest feel-good moments in wrestling history or a few gormless expressions of the crowd? Somebody actually decided on the latter.

The fact it was also hit on Ziggler who aside from maybe Brock would have sold it better then anyone else makes it even worse.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
My wife had me re-sub for the Rumble. She was bitching so much throughout the night with the 1000 camera cuts she even asked me has anyone on that forum you read complain about it yet? I really couldn't believe they screwed up the camera on Edge's first spear. Absolute shit.

·
Registered
923 Posts
The only 2 wrestling events I ever consider watching anymore are RR and WM and after watching a bit last night it really is appalling how awful the announcing is, and how they are freaking OBSESSED with getting crowd reaction shots. I mean good Lord just because a guy was in complete disbelief in the front row after Taker lost at WM that doesn't mean you need to try and recreate that at EVERY GOD DAMN EVENT you have after it. Just stupid and it is a really glaring example of the amateur hour stuff they try to do.

·
Premium Member
11,175 Posts
I can’t imagine what Vince thinks when he sees the program. Honestly how has nothing been done yet? WWE even had to put Edges debut on YouTube. They know it’s a problem but why isn’t anything being done about it?

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
Yep this is WWE making shitty camera mistakes. On Edge return on people cheering when it should be on him. This is an amateur move.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I noticed it ruined a lot of moments for me in the PPV because it would cut to the crowd during big moves. They also at a point would change the camera angle ever 2 seconds.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts