Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
People are afraid of change and grow accustom to what they grow accustom to. Your post = prime example. Now ten years later, we can all say the brand split was a great success. Well, until recently...

·
Registered
746 Posts
Like how people were predicting Taker to retire within 12 months!

It's effectively over ... although funny how we rarely see RAW guys on SD nowadays!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
success my ass. ppv split was a complete failure. smackdown failed 2004 onwards. raws been struggling for a long time. then are the wrestlers injures less often nope. all in all what has happened more stars get a break and more stars have the opportunity of being built. the draft has definitely dragged on should come to an end.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
The brand split is the best idea they have had in the last 10yrs. Any superstar born then can thank the brand split for having time to grow and gain a following. For sure Eddie Guerrero, Chris Beniot, Cena, Orton, Batista, Jeff Hardy, Brock Lesnar, CM Punk, The Miz, Sheamus, Daniel Bryan & Rey Mysterio can thank the brand extension for their extended pushes and exposure.
With only 1 brand it would have been far more difficult to get over and to get exposure.

The slow dissolution of the brand extension is having the same effect not having a brand extension would have had. The top guys are dominating all the time with their angles, promos & matches. They don't have time to push a new guy effectively so we have these microwaved pushes with constantly halted momentum.

·
Registered
357 Posts
The brand split is the best idea they have had in the last 10yrs. Any superstar born then can thank the brand split for having time to grow and gain a following. For sure Eddie Guerrero, Chris Beniot, Cena, Orton, Batista, Jeff Hardy, Brock Lesnar, CM Punk, The Miz, Sheamus, Daniel Bryan & Rey Mysterio can thank the brand extension for their extended pushes and exposure.
With only 1 brand it would have been far more difficult to get over and to get exposure.

The slow dissolution of the brand extension is having the same effect not having a brand extension would have had. The top guys are dominating all the time with their angles, promos & matches. They don't have time to push a new guy effectively so we have these microwaved pushes with constantly halted momentum.
I think that would only work if there were seperate PPV's.

With only having 3 weeks to promote a PPV, WWE has to spend most of their shows focusing on building the main events. Now that they no longer have seperate PPv's. Ending the brand split would allow the undercard to appear on both shows and be given more time to build their stories and feuds.

With only 2 more weeks to Over the Limit WWE only has 2 shows per feud (exluding the CM Punk vs. Daniel Bryan match) to promote it.
so you can imagine it will take up a lot of the time on the show.

Look at John Laurentis vs. Cena.. instead of taking let's say 20 minutes this upcomming week and the week after that to promote, They can spend 10 minutes on 4 shows, this leaving an extra 10 minutes on the next two Raw's to build another feud. (im just making those numbers up obviously but you get the idea)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think the Brand Split was a great idea in 2002, without a doubt the split was to (at least to a piont) create competition. after WWE bought out WCW and ECW there was only really one place to watch wrestling and that was WWE the idea to have RAW brand and Smackdown Brand was a good idea and to a piont it worked as people would watch Raw and not Smackdown and vise verca. But the evolution of the brand split was needed, i dont think the PPV splits worked as there was stars not over enough main eventing PPVs. I dont think they should scap it competeley as there would be so many stars that wouldnt get the spotlight they deserve, as many of them dont get it now.

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,576 Posts
The brand split was a real split in the early years, and every brand had its own identity (e.g Smackdown had cruiserweights, great tag division etc). Today there's no split, it's more like certain guys only show up on 1 of the 2 shows for convenience. It was a success from certain standpoints, but also a failure because Vince's vision was to create competition similar to WCW vs WWF back in the day.

LOL at the forum being called "the smart marks."
Very well known wrestling forum back in the day..

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
The brand split was, and still is, a horrible idea. I absolutely hated it from the start. It was probably one of the factors that made me stop watching after a while. I'm gonna say it for the billionth time: Vince dropped the ball on the WCW/ECW acquisitions. IMO, he should have kept those two organizations in tact, and he could have had a draft every year between those companies. That's how you could have really cultivated all of the talent. This whole brand split shit is still stupid.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Love the brand split. You guys need to realize that if we didn't have the brand split, we wouldn't get two great shows every week. We would just get one. Not to mention, we wouldn't get two great champions at the same time.

·
Starving for poutine
7,260 Posts
I remember being very pissed about this idea when it started. I didn't have The Score at that time so I couldn't watch Smackdown, so I couldn't see The Rock (which was my favorite wrestler at the time). Then, in 2002 when Raw was sucking BIG TIME, I was still stuck with watching that while Smackdown was being awesome.

Love the brand split. You guys need to realize that if we didn't have the brand split, we wouldn't get two great shows every week. We would just get one. Not to mention, we wouldn't get two great champions at the same time.
Are you fucking serious? Did you watch WWF in 2000 and 2001? We had two great shows every week! I even watched Heat and Metal at occasions.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
At first it was a great idea but it should have ended by Wrestlemania 22. Especially after the Raw vs SD feud and Edge and Angle as champs and teasing unification. It definitely should have ended by 2008 when both shows looked the same except one was red and the other was blue. There's no reason for a brand split with such a thin, dreadful roster. Read my sig.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts