• Ric Flair

Votes: 14 28.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 wrestling legends with incredible legacies.

Both proven draws.

Who is the bigger overall draw in wrestling between Andre the Giant or Ric Flair?

·
I'm Just A Sick Guy.
1,884 Posts
Ric Flair. Not only was he a far superior wrestler, but with a career spanning from 72' to 2012, 40 years as an active wrestler spanning multiple titles and title reigns; I'd say Flair drew more money overall.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I’ll go with Flair because I love that guy and he was the man for his company for so long. He was one of the first heels that it was cool to like.

But not knocking Andre at all, he was a massive draw.

·
Registered
11,378 Posts
Flair clearly if you are talking longevity.

There is a reason Flair was top guy for a decade+ in jcp/wcw and Andre was more of an attraction act that would come in, do a few shows then leave.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
People still talk about Andre as a mythical entity, a quintessential larger than life figure. Guys like Hogan, Piper, Flair etc all speak highly of Andre. He’s like Taker before there even was a Taker, the original phenom. As recognisable as Ali during the 70s as a sporting figure. His bout against Hogan in SNL brought WWE it’s highest rated show ever, 33 million people tuned in.

He never needed the title because he was a spectacle in itself. Usually the title is the draw, but he was bigger than the title. That’s why his challenge at WM3 was so monumental since Vince Sr avoided the match up of Sammartino Vs Andre since it would’ve hurt their stock. If Andre wanted to he could’ve stayed in the NY territory and become champion, but he choose to increase business everywhere by going to different territories.

·
Banned
3,623 Posts
Andre wins by a light year, by proxy of working with Hogan in his absolute peak years. I know I talk about this a lot, but The Main Event 1 pulled a 15.2 rating with 33 million total viewers. How many combined shows in Flairs peak years did he have to work to get to that singular number?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Andre. Not even close. Even today id argue more people know of Andre than flair. I remember my sister who never watched wrestling started talking about Andre once after she read about him in the guiness world book. He would make all the mainstream tv shows in the 80s. Letterman and the like. He,s a proven draw who drew everywhere he went. Flair never raised ticketsales or drew ppv buys,tv ratings anywhere he went.

·
Registered
443 Posts
It almost feels unfair to compare the two, I love both guys and could flip flop on it. I suppose the only person who could tell you for sure is Jim Cornette, that bastard probably has every gate either man drew from 1970 to 1990.

·
Registered
11,378 Posts
Andre wins by a light year, by proxy of working with Hogan in his absolute peak years. I know I talk about this a lot, but The Main Event 1 pulled a 15.2 rating with 33 million total viewers. How many combined shows in Flairs peak years did he have to work to get to that singular number?
Neither did rock or austin at their peak though..

In terms of overall shows headlined with 10,000 fans Flair is 8th all time, Andre 18th

To suggest Flair didn't draw outside Carolinas would be incorrect. He and Kerry von Erich did 50,000 in Dallas in 84. Flair has also done 26,000 in Dallas and 18,000 in smaller venue. He was also promoted as major act in Japan when he worked there and handpicked by inoki to mainevent North Korea show

·
Parks and Recreation Dept.
7,406 Posts
Even though he died in '93, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Andre still won when it comes down to the sheer dollars.

For the majority of his career, people paid money purely to see Andre, whereas people paid money to see Flair vs INSERT POPULAR OPPONENT HERE and there's an obvious argument that Ric's opponents helped to draw the money, especially the likes of Harley Race, Ricky Steamboat, Dusty Rhodes, etc.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Yeah, this shouldn't even be debated. Andre was a national superstar with mainstream crossover appeal. Flair was contained specifically to the territories and was only a star to the wrestling audience.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts