Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just on Lords of Pain.com and stumble across this and just wanted to know everyone elses opinion and whether they agree or not. Feel free to replicate with your own list if you want too.

Credit: Lords Of Pain.com

Blog is Tito: Top 10 Wrestling Draws since 1985

How do I define a draw in pro wrestling? Basically, a wrestler or personality's existence on the show, somewhere, either puts butts in seats, moves merchandise, or puts more eyeballs on television. In my humble opinion, these are the top 10 DRAWS since 1985:

10) Legion of Doom/Road Warriors - Ahhhhhhhhhh what a rush! I just had to put a tag team here, as these guys caused interest even in their later years. You know that if the Road Warriors were on the card, someone's ass was about to be kicked! Big merchandise movers in their heyday and anyone who comes out to "Iron Man" by Black Sabbath has "draw" written all of them!

9) Sting - Even in the darkest hours of WCW, which would be 1991 to 1993, Sting was always there and always something for fans to get behind. He was always a crowd favorite and became dependable to watch as he was one of the most durable wrestlers around. I still know hardcore Sting fans that actually endure TNA's crap just to see Sting keep the train rolln'. I feel his 1996-1997 stuff, though, on how he reinvented his look doesn't get enough credit.

8) "Macho Man" Randy Savage - I contend he's one of the most underrated talents of all time, because his in-ring work was excellent but his persona of appearing to be F'N crazy while being potentially abusive towards Miss Elizabeth kept fans interested. Then, when he turned heel in 1991, fans wanted him to execute Jake "the Snake" Roberts. I loved his 1994-1996 WCW stuff, too... Macho still had it.

7) Jerry "the King" Lawler - Very strong independent promoter in Memphis that had a presence even when WCW and WWF began to pull away... In my humble opinion, though, he was a draw as a WWF announcer, too. Just an awesome heel commentator and I believe he was like the John Madden of the WWF/WWE, although a heelish version obviously. In his prime, people listened carefully for whatever zingers Lawler had in store. Very good wrestler, as well.

6) Shawn Michaels - I can't imagine a WWF during 1995-1997 without him and he probably kept that company from completely falling apart, at least in terms of star power. I hold his 2000's run with high regard... I believe he was a draw with older fans, as 2010's numbers seem to fall off when he retired.

5) Ric Flair - Good Southern draw and was the face of NWA/WCW for many years. Up North, not so much, as he only got one good year in the WWF and his Horsemen struggled to matter in the shadow of the NWO during the late 1990's.

4) John Cena - I'm sure I'll get disagreements, but this guy has carried the WWE from 2005 through present. He got hot when Austin, Rock, Foley, and Lesnar were all gone and he had to make due with whatever else was left on the roster. He moves merchandise and packs houseshows. Not the best Pay Per View draw, but who is he facing? Popular outside of wrestling...

3) The Rock - One could argue that his strengths were increased because he worked conveniently with Steve Austin. Good points, but when Austin as gone for late 1999 and most of 2000, the Rock was there and still running strong. Rock's efforts in 2001-2003 were quite remarkable, too, and he gave back considerably to the business by putting over guys like Brock Lesnar. The mere fact that the Rock remains popular outside of wrestling, moreso than #1 or #2, merits this third position.

2) "Stone Cold" Steve Austin - I would take his 1997-1998 years over any wrestlers on this list in terms of growing the business the fastest, as Austin was RED HOT during this period of time. While he was still pretty good during his late 2000 full return, but he was never the same and was done with wrestling by 2003.

1) Hulk Hogan - Obviously. Utterly dominated the wrestling industry with popularity from the early 1980's through somewhere in 1991, and then experienced a HUGE rebirth in 1996 by turning heel but selling out stadiums everywhere he or the New World Order went. His 2000's nostalgia tour in the WWE has served him well, too.

Now i agree with a lot of that especially the top four as i find it hard for anyone to argue with that but i would probably place Sting in at number five ahead of Ric Flair as Sting proved to be a bigger draw in WCW in the long term. I would probably place The Undertaker in there as well and crazy as it sounds i have always heard that Sid Vicious was a major draw everywhere he went but was never given a chance as the top guy for too long.

As bad a draw as people say Shawn Michaels was when he was on top i have to agree with Tito because had Shawn Michaels not been around in between 1995 when he became the top guy and 1997 when Stone Cold Steve Austin was coming through then WWE may have not been around for Stone Cold Steve Austin to even become what he did. Shawn Michaels carried the company on his shoulders for two years and WWE got by because of his match quality which drew people in although ratings and buyrates were not great but by mid 1996 he had to contend with Scott Hall and Kevin Nash showing up in WCW and Hulk Hogan turning heel forming The New World Order and Vince McMahon himself has said before that no one in wrestling history could have contended with that.

So my top ten draws of all time would look like this,

10. Sid Vicious
9. Randy Savage
8. Shawn Michaels
7. Ric Flair
6. The Undertaker
5. Sting
4. John Cena
3. The Rock
2. Stone Cold Steve Austin
1. Hulk Hogan

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
too lazzzzzy to think and post of all 10 right now, the mentioned ones above yeah i agree they did draw a lot, but we are missing Goldberg some where along the line.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Steve austin has to be number 1, its been documented multiple times over that he broke every records thats ever been held. I would also put Andre the Giant in spot 4 after the Rock.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Don't agree with Jerry Lawler being on the list because his box office prime was before 1985.I'd award a place to the New World Order faction.

A major special attraction -- The Undertaker has been the glue of the WWE since his first babyface turn in 1992. Moved tons of merchandise between 1992 and 1997.His feuds with Mankind,Shawn Michaels,Steve Austin etc did good business.

Difficult to argue with the rest...

·
Banned
10,758 Posts
A major special attraction -- The Undertaker has been the glue of the WWE since his first babyface turn in 1992. Moved tons of merchandise between 1992 and 1997.His feuds with Mankind,Shawn Michaels,Steve Austin etc did good business.
Respect Taker but this way too much.

·
You're a mong.
5,401 Posts
I go on LoP and the Tito guy is a fucking idiot 90% of the time. Hustle is usually the only guy who makes any sense on those forums. Agree with about half of that list.

·
Registered
21,650 Posts
Steve austin has to be number 1, its been documented multiple times over that he broke every records thats ever been held. I would also put Andre the Giant in spot 4 after the Rock.
He broke records but he only had about 4-6 years on top. Hogan had about 20 years on top so overall he was a lot bigger draw.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Decent list but I'd put Batista in there and remove Michaels though, he's like the no. 2 and/or 3(Jeff was for a time #2, imo) face of this era, whilst Michaels was the captain of the sinking ship and so his value in the 90s have probably been outdrawn by Batista from 2005-07 alone.

·
Registered
835 Posts
He broke records but he only had about 4-6 years on top. Hogan had about 20 years on top so overall he was a lot bigger draw.
Was he really on top for 20 years? as soon as steve austin became hot in WWF WCW started to decline, if hogan was the biggest draw of all time surely everybody would still be tuning in to see him regardless.
Also you cant say that because hogan was the top person for longer makes him the bigger draw when austin had to bow out because of injury. End of the day austin when he was top broke hogans records when he was top so that has to mean SCSA is bigger

·
Banned
549 Posts
1. Hogan
2. Rock
3. Austin

btw, i got this data from a similar thread in WF
(Originally Posted by Wrestling Observer Newsletter)

1985 - 1 Hulk Hogan (set all-time record for most big gates in one year); 2. Ric Flair; 3. Roddy Piper; 4. Paul Orndorff and Road Warriors; 5. Andre the Giant; 6. John Studd; 7. Bob Orton Jr.; 8. Randy Savage and Antonio Inoki; 10. Kevin & Kerry Von Erich

1986 - 1. Hulk Hogan (set all-time record for most big gates in one year); 2. Ric Flair and Paul Orndorff; 4. Road Warriors; 5. Randy Savage; 6. Dusty Rhodes and Nikita Koloff; 7. Roddy Piper and King Kong Bundy; 9. Midnight Express and Tito Santana

1987 - 1. Hulk Hogan (dominant year); 2. Ric Flair; 3. Randy Savage; 4. Kamala; 5. Road Warriors; 6. Dusty Rhodes and One Man Gang; 8. Andre the Giant and Antonio Inoki; 10. Harley Race and Carlos Colon

1988 - 1. Hulk Hogan; 2. Randy Savage; 3. Ric Flair and Andre the Giant; 5. Ted DiBiase; 6. Lex Luger; 7. Big Bossman; 8. Tully Blanchard; 9. Road Warriors, Dusty Rhodes and Carlos Colon

1989 - 1. Hulk Hogan; 2. Randy Savage; 3. Big Bossman; 4. Ultimate Warrior; 5. Big Van Vader; 6. Akira Maeda; 7. Antonio Inoki; 8. Andre the Giant, Carlos Colon and Rick Rude

1990 - 1. Hulk Hogan; 2. Ultimate Warrior; 3. Stan Hansen; 4. Mr. Perfect; 5. Riki Choshu; 6. Konnan and Rick Rude; 8. Big Van Vader, Perro Aguayo and Earthquake

1991 - 1. Hulk Hogan; 2. Ric Flair; 3. Konnan; 4. Perro Aguayo; 5. Sgt. Slaughter; 6. Ultimate Warrior; 7. Tatsumi Fujinami; 8. Undertaker, Genichiro Tenryu and Canek

1992 - 1. Ric Flair; 2. Konnan; 3. Hulk Hogan and Sid Vicious; 5. Cien Caras; 6. Bret Hart; 7. Randy Savage; 8. Vampiro; 9. Davey Boy Smith; 10. Perro Aguayo

1993 - 1. Konnan; 2. Cien Caras; 3. Perro Aguayo; 4. Genichiro Tenryu; 5. Mascara Ano 2000 and El Hijo del Santo; 7. Keiji Muto; 8. Riki Choshu, Love Machine, Octagon and Tatsumi Fujinami (Bret Hart was No. 1 in the United States)

1994 - 1. Konnan; 2. Bret Hart; 3. Shinya Hashimoto; 4. Nobuhiko Takada and Perro Aguayo; 6. Genichiro Tenryu; 7. Antonio Inoki, Owen Hart and Love Machine; 10. Cien Caras, Keiji Muto and Atsushi Onita

1995 - 1. Shinya Hashimoto; 2. Ric Flair; 3. Antonio Inoki; 4. Konnan and Keiji Muto; 6. Perro Aguayo; 7. Masahiro Chono; 8. Mitsuharu Misawa and Cien Caras; 10. Nobuhiko Takada and Diesel

1996 - 1. Nobuhiko Takada; 2. Shawn Michaels; 3. Shinya Hashimoto; 4. Bret Hart; 5. Keiji Muto; 6. Diesel; 7. Ric Flair, Kenta Kobashi, Toshiaki Kawada, Akira Taue, Vader, Genichiro Tenryu, El Hijo del Santo and Riki Choshu

1997 - 1. Shinya Hashimoto; 2. Undertaker; 3. Shawn Michaels; 4. Bret Hart; 5. Naoya Ogawa; 6. Lex Luger and Keiji Muto; 8. Steve Austin; 9. Hulk Hogan; 10. Riki Choshu, Kevin Nash and Mick Foley

1998 - 1. Steve Austin (set all-time record for most big gates in one year); 2. Undertaker; 3. Kane; 4. Mick Foley; 5. The Rock; 6. Bill Goldberg; 7. Hulk Hogan; 8. HHH; 9. Sting; 10. Randy Savage

1999 - 1. The Rock (set all-time record for most big gates in one year); 2. Steve Austin; 3. HHH; 4. Big Show; 5. Kane; 6. Undertaker; 7. Keiji Muto; 8. Bill Goldberg; 9. Ric Flair; 10. Kevin Nash

2000 - 1. The Rock (set all-time record for most big gates in one year); 2. HHH; 3. Kurt Angle; 4. Kane and Chris Benoit; 6. X-Pac; 7. Undertaker; 8. Road Dogg; 9. Naoya Ogawa; 10. Kensuke Sasaki and Chris Jericho

2001 - 1. Steve Austin; 2. The Rock; 3. Kurt Angle; 4. HHH; 5. Undertaker; 6. Chris Jericho; 7. Kane; 8. Kensuke Sasaki, Chris Benoit and Keiji Muto

2002 -1. The Rock; 2. Bob Sapp; 3. HHH; 4. Hulk Hogan; 5. Chris Jericho; 6. Steve Austin; 7. Kazushi Sakuraba; 8. Brock Lesnar; 9. Yuji Nagata and Mirko Cro Cop

2003 - 1. Brock Lesnar; 2. HHH; 3. Kazushi Sakuraba; 4. Big Show and Kurt Angle; 6. Yuji Nagata, Hulk Hogan, Kenta Kobashi, Masahiro Chono, Bill Goldberg, Shawn Michaels and Wanderlei Silva

2004 - 1. HHH; 2. Chris Benoit; 3. Bob Sapp and Eddie Guerrero; 5. Shawn Michaels; 6. La Parka; 7. Randy Orton, Ric Flair and Kenta Kobashi; 10. Shinsuke Nakamura, Cibernetico and Perro Aguayo Jr.

2005 - 1. Kenta Kobashi; 2. HHH; 3. Mistico and Ultimo Guerrero; 5. Atlantis, John Cena and Batista; 8. Rey Bucanero and Cibernetico; 10. Kurt Angle and El Hijo del Santo

2006 - 1. Mistico; 2. Perro Aguayo Jr. and Dr. Wagner Jr.; 4. Atlantis and Black Warrior; 6. John Cena and ***** Casas; 8. Ultimo Guerrero & Rey Bucanero; 9. La Parka, Konnan and Muerte Cibernetico (Mesias)

2007 - 1. John Cena; 2. Mistico; 3. Batista; 4. Randy Orton and Perro Aguayo Jr; 6. Ultimo Guerrero; 7. Dr. Wagner Jr.; 8. Cibernetico; 9. Hector Garza and Great Khali

2008 - 1. Mistico; 2. HHH; 3. Perro Aguayo Jr.; 4. Ultimo Guerrero and Hector Garza; 6. Cibernetico; 7. Zorro and Shocker; 9. Shawn Michaels and Chris Jericho

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
According to Wrestling Observer's top draws yearly Austin was only #1 in 1998 and 2001, Rock was #1 in 1999 (Austin was #2 on the list), 2000, and 2002. And really '98 was Austin's only "undisputed" year, Rock was gone for a while in '01 and his month 4 absence is what probably bumped him down to #2.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hulk Hogan. He drawed the most fans for a long time, got the most mainstream publicity and is even known by most non wrestling fans.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
Hogan, Andre, Macho Man, The Rock, Austin, Horsemen, Stinger, Cena, Hart, just to name some of them.

·
You're a mong.
5,401 Posts
Hogan, Austin, Rock, Cena, Triple H, Andre, Macho Man.

rough list based on what I've read (the article a few posts up being one of them).

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Well if we look at it from a percentage stand point then Austin wins .

If Austin had the same years as Hogan then Austin > Hogan.

im just saying :side:

·
Registered
205 Posts
I can't argue with this. Both guys were immense draws, I'm sure if Austin was on top for 20 years too then he might have surpassed Hogan but he wasn't.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts