Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The WWE's greatest challenge in the presentation of Roman Reigns is not for any of the reasons that have been described - ring presence, promo skills, the fact that he is a heel playing a face - although all are valid to some extent. The biggest challenge is scarcely mentioned, but it looms like a giant shadow over the promotion and has so since January 2015. And that challenge is this.

There is almost no suspense in the elevation of Roman Reigns.

It was clearly obvious that Roman Reigns would win the 2015 Royal Rumble. And so he did, with WWE going out of their way to bury the roster in such a way that the fans would feel compelled to cheer for him. The one curve ball was at WrestleMania, where Seth was allowed to become champion as a means of further building Roman and getting the boos to die down. There was no suspense that Roman would be winning the 2016 Royal Rumble. There was no suspense that Roman would defeat HHH at WrestleMania 32. There was no suspense that Roman would fail to defeat AJ Styles in their encounters - in fact Roman would still be champion now if he had not received the Wellness Violation. There was no suspense over who would come out victorious in his match with The Undertaker at WrestleMania 33. Next year, when Brock Lesnar steps into the ring for likely the last time, there will be no suspense that Roman will have the belt when he leaves in what will be his second coronation as the Face of the Company. And in 2019 when he faces John Cena at WrestleMania 35, there will be no suspense over who will come out the victor.

Everything is pre-ordained. In any fictional show, you want surprises and twists. For a NFL or NBA, why watch if you know that the New England Patriots or Golden State Warriors are going to win the next five championships and 95% of their regular season games. For older fans, it is like being in an extended multi year run of the buildup to Hogan/Slaughter. Everyone knew that Hogan would be leaving WrestleMania 7 as the champion, and the main event was a failure because there was no intrigue. Roman has no intrigue - because we know the journey. It's not organic - it is being completely dictated by the company regardless of reaction. Roman will win the WWE title at WrestleMania 34 against Brock Lesnar. Roman will retain the belt throughout 2018 and successfully defend against John Cena at WrestleMania 35. It will likely be the summer of 2019 before WWE feels it can move the belt off of Roman to a heel Cena playing the role of Hollywood Hogan - and in turn setting up a rematch at WrestleMania 36 between Cena and Roman. And in between this, Roman will main event at least one hundred RAWs and come out victorious.

This is an unsung reason why he is being booed. Because there is nothing to be excited about, because we have already read the conclusion of the story, and it ends with an infinity symbol.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Alright, soooo can we go one day without talking about a Roman Reigns heel turn or why he is a failure or anything about Roman Reigns.

Reactions: DammitChrist

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Well what you said has been talked about, you just worded it differently. It's called "SHOVING HIM DOWN OUR THROATS". By definition, his predictability is what constitutes being shoved down our throats.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
WAY Too much too soon for a pretty decent but non-extraordinary talent all while interjecting a phony personality that clearly doesn't match Reigns' actual self. IMO. it really is that simple.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
He's a symptom of a much larger problem. He could be a game changer if booked properly.
And I know this, I know this because this is the 500th Roman Reigns should turn heel thread.

I just ask just one week where we dont see a Roman Reigns thread on this forum.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And I know this, I know this because this is the 500th Roman Reigns should turn heel thread.
No - booking properly could amount to a number of different avenues. A heel turn is one.

By giving Roman the push he has received since 2014 WWE has taken any suspense about their future direction out of the program. Why should I care about WrestleMania 34 next year when I know that Lesnar is leaving and Roman is going over? And why should the fans treat that match any differently than Lesnar vs Goldberg for WM20? It makes me think that WWE might have to be really creative to drown out the boos, such as going the Gangstas route and playing Roman's theme dialed up to 11 for the entire match.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts