Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
For a variety of reasons, Andre the Giant is a household name. Movies, television, his wrestling career, the celebrities he hung out with, the legendary stories about him... everything. Undertaker, while he's one of the all-time most well-known and celebrated figures in the wrestling business, doesn't hold a candle to Andre's overall worldwide fame.

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,747 Posts
Undertaker is probably the biggest name in wrestling who just mainly stuck to wrestling.

i would say Undertaker is pretty much a household name himself, which deserves a lot of praise for how popular he is, considering he never did much in the way of TV/movies or anything.

But Andre was big. Andre might even be the 4th biggest, after the Big Three. Undertaker is definitely somewhere in there, in that top ten easily, but he just was never as big as some of those guys, and some of those guys had a lot more marketing outside of wrestling to help that.

·
Banned
9,124 Posts
Andre and it's not even close. I honestly can't believe you felt this question needed to be asked.

Hogan v. Andre was THE biggest match in the history of the business. Other than his first match against Kane, Taker has never came close to that level. Taker's matches were better, but that's entirely beside the point.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Undertaker is probably the biggest name in wrestling who just mainly stuck to wrestling.

i would say Undertaker is pretty much a household name himself, which deserves a lot of praise for how popular he is, considering he never did much in the way of TV/movies or anything.

But Andre was big. Andre might even be the 4th biggest, after the Big Three. Undertaker is definitely somewhere in there, in that top ten easily, but he just was never as big as some of those guys, and some of those guys had a lot more marketing outside of wrestling to help that.
Undertaker is not a household name. Sorry. Maybe in your household, where there are wrestling fans, but nobody outside of wrestling knows who he is. A brief appearance in Suburban Commando does not lead to worldwide stardom. Nobody used Undertaker's face in viral graffiti campaign, he doesn't regularly get referenced in modern media, and he was never the subject of documentaries not produced by the WWE. All of those things can be said of Andre.

I don't mean to make light of Undertaker's accomplishments whatsoever. Within the wrestling industry, Undertaker is a bigger star than Andre. He had a longer, more successful career, and helped carry the biggest company in wrestling throughout times when it lacked star-power.

But overall? It's not even close. Average guy walking down the street knows Andre the Giant. He does not know the Undertaker.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Like some have already said, Andre's popularity has transcended Professional Wrestling. Undertaker's hasn't.

The answer is Andre.

·
Registered
13,671 Posts
Andre is a bigger name outside of wrestling but Undertaker is a bigger and more respected name within the wrestling world.

·
Registered
837 Posts
For wrestling fans I'd probably go with Taker. For normal people I'd go with Andre. So Andre. Undertaker will be remembered in 10 years by normal people about as much as Jake the Snake. His name will be met with "Oh yeah. I totally remember him. Didn't he die or something?" Hell, if you mentioned him to somebody now they'd probably ask the same question. Andre the Giant is a cultural icon. Undertaker is a wrestler.

·
Premium Member
18,745 Posts
Andre is the bigger name. He and Hogan were the biggest thing going in early to mid 80's. I like Taker more but Andre transcended wresting and became a star period. With that said Undertaker is probably the biggest star to never cross over into the mainstream. unless you want to count Flair, but i think he's done a few guest spots on tv's and maybe been in a movie or two.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
In the WWE Undertaker (more accomplishments, longer career, many more huge matches)

In the world . . . Andre

I mean, Andre's in Princess Bride, come on

·
The Man
15,344 Posts
Andre and it's not even close. He is up there with Hogan, Rock, Austin, and Sammartino as one of the biggest draws ever. He was a HUGE (literally and non-literally) in the 80's and so on, and appearing in cult classics like the Princess Bride has only helped his popularity with non-wrestling fans. Undertaker is a legend but I don't think he has never really been a huge draw, and he hasn't branched out from wrestling much at all either.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Andre. I personally would but Andre as WWE's 2nd biggest ever star behind Hogan, with Austin third. He was HUGE in his time, bigger than Undertaker ever will was and will be, Taker still a massive star though.

·
Ho!
18,655 Posts
I asked my dad this question since he was around watching wrestling in 70's and 80's, and he said Andre was bigger, he was over 7 feet and Taker is under 7 feet :p

But in all seriousness, he did say Andre was bigger than Taker is world wide, though he did say Taker is definitely more known by wrestling fans. Plus I don't think Andre is pushed as big as the likes of Hogan and Austin were in today's era (or within the last few years), despite possibly being up on their level as people have said.

Both are household names though.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts