Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is why Orton is nowhere near the best worker in the industry. Let's get serious here. I love Orton's character and it is great to see someone so committed to their role - he was doing phenomenal mic work in the build to wrestlemania last year until he lost his momentum. At the moment he is getting enormous face pops and he has a brilliant comeback moveset. I do think the guy is talented, however best worker in the business? Really?

The best worker in the business is someone in the Bret Hart / Shawn Michaels mould who can get a match out of anyone and who is exciting to watch against anyone on the roster. Mysterio has this going for him as does Jericho and guys like Aj Styles and Kurt Angle.
Orton however does not fit this criteria. I do not look forward to Randy Orton matches unless he is facing another main eventer. His style is slow and plodding and he has had relatively few great matches in the past few years compared to the likes of John Cena, John Morrison, CM Punk, Chris Jericho, Rey Mysterio, Edge and Christian.

When Orton is on song ala Breaking Point 09 he is a joy to behold but I fail to comprehend how this guy can be taken seriously as the best in ring talent.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can understand people saying that he has the best character or that he has the best psychology but the numbers don't add up well enough to suggest that he is "the man" inside the squared circle.

·
Premium Member
4,216 Posts
I'd say Kurt Angle is the best worker in the buisness but i think guys like Chris Jericho, Christian, CM Punk, Bryan Danielson and AJ Styles could all have great matches with anyone.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Agreed. Orton is a good worker with most people, and fucking fantastic in the right situation, but he's not the best. The best would probably be Bryan Danielson, tbh. The guy made me interested to watch him get squashed by The Great Khali, so he was doing something right.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
I fully agree, there's a lot of (teenage) people who see Randy Orton as the best thing ever but that's more their naivety coming through, rather than truth.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Orton has GREAT in-ring chemistry with a select few other people. but to be the best, he has to have great in-ring chemistry with everyone.

so yeah, HBK and the Hitman are the best. Maybe Undertaker too, since I don't think I've ever seen him have a match I would describe as bad. also, probably gonna get hated, but I reckon Christian's sort of close to this too. he can make his opponent look good, sell well (and convincingly), and can pull off amazing moves. I'm in no way saying he's as good as HBK or Hart, but he's still damn good.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Agreed. Orton is a good worker with most people, and fucking fantastic in the right situation, but he's not the best. The best would probably be Bryan Danielson, tbh. The guy made me interested to watch him get squashed by The Great Khali, so he was doing something right.
Exactly. When Raw announces Randy Orton is scheduled to take on Mark Henry later on in the show I let out a loud sigh whereas I know a Jericho, Edge, Mysterio type would manage to make the match at least somewhat entertaining.

At some point shortly some users will come in here and have a different opinion but if so let's try and have a meaningful, interesting and open minded discussion here as opposed to the usual blind hate / blind love crap.

I am a big Randy Orton fan but even if I can't ignore the flawed logic in his apparent greatness as a worker.

·
Asuka
96,231 Posts
I can understand people saying that he has the best character or that he has the best psychology but the numbers don't add up well enough to suggest that he is "the man" inside the squared circle.
You can understand people saying he has the best character? All he has is the generic "bad attitude" gimmick that we've seen 1000 times over.

Best character would have to be CM Punk. It's original, it's fresh, and it's real (partially), and he pulls it off brilliantly. That goes a lot deeper than a guy who can't pull anything except running into the ring and RKO'ing everything in sight and then making a bunch of stupid, overexagerated facial expressions to show how ANGRY~!!! he is.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Orton has GREAT in-ring chemistry with a select few other people. but to be the best, he has to have great in-ring chemistry with everyone.

so yeah, HBK and the Hitman are the best. Maybe Undertaker too, since I don't think I've ever seen him have a match I would describe as bad. also, probably gonna get hated, but I reckon Christian's sort of close to this too. he can make his opponent look good, sell well (and convincingly), and can pull off amazing moves. I'm in no way saying he's as good as HBK or Hart, but he's still damn good.
When did Christian last have a bad match? I'm struggling...

then making a bunch of stupid, overexagerated facial expressions to show how ANGRY~!!! he is.
Sounds more like Cena to me. I really dig Orton's character - he is deeply engaged in his role and doesn't appear phoney or forced like the majority of the roster. I can't fault him in that department.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Also, I'm just gonna throw this out her, but Orton's "fist-pound the floor" thing is the most annoying thing anybody currently does in the WWE.

whenever he does that, i just think "stop acting like a mental patient fighting the floor you crazy-eyed fuckwit. just pick the guy up and then RKO him, rather than waiting like a freak for him to stagger to his feet!"

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Best character would have to be CM Punk. It's original, it's fresh, and it's real (partially), and he pulls it off brilliantly. That goes a lot deeper than a guy who can't pull anything except running into the ring and RKO'ing everything in sight and then making a bunch of stupid, overexagerated facial expressions to show how ANGRY~!!! he is.
It's not exaclty Orton's fault. He's a face, and he has to go really over the top to get the crowd involved. The character was at it's best in early-mid 2009, as was Punk's. I'd actually say that both Orton and Punk's characters are far less entertaining, now that neither of them is doing anything meaningful.

·
Asuka
96,231 Posts
It's not exaclty Orton's fault. He's a face, and he has to go really over the top to get the crowd involved. The character was at it's best in early-mid 2009, as was Punk's. I'd actually say that both Orton and Punk's characters are far less entertaining, now that neither of them is doing anything meaningful.
That just proves how one dimensional he is. Unlike Cena or Triple H, he's absolutely useless with a mic in his hand, so he has to go "crazy" to compensate.

Even in 2009, he's still bland and has nothing to him other than his exploding temper.

CM Punk needs something meaningful to do again, but he's still entertaining. He makes everything work. I damn near choked laughing this week at his "I broke Big Show's hand" t shirt.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
The problem is many wrestling fans today confuse working a crowd with EXECUTION. Thats why Cena today still gets "You cant wrestle" chants because the smark crowd at times have no freakin clue about what they are talking about and think just because Cena cant do an stf right, the guy cant wrestle.

Now Randy Orton no doubt, executes his moves beautifully. But executing moves well does NOT in any way mean that you know how to WORK a crowd. Like Ive been saying earlier Teddy Hart for example is one of the best executors of moves in wrestling today, but his ability to work a match and structure it correctly is basically non existent.

·
Registered
746 Posts
The usual suspects really.

Angle, Jericho, CM Punk, Danielson and Undertaker I'd say.

·
Student of the game? I am the f***in' Game!!
8,351 Posts
Randy Orton is easily the best worker of today. His delivery in the ring is so poise with such conviction puts him up there. I mean he hisses, seethes, stalks basically replicating a reptile. You come to expect these things from him and he don't come off to random. It all falls in line with his Viper Moniker.

As he is incredibly old school but with the "Viper" moniker there is something real modern in that. He knows how to work in a theatrical sense, a real lost art in the business. In a good theatrical sense and not like The Undertaker or Kane who come off too unrealistic. Realism is a good touch in detail but Randy Orton's work rate is the bigger picture.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Randy Orton is easily the best worker of today. His delivery in the ring is so poise with such conviction puts him up there. I mean he hisses, seethes, stalks basically replicating a reptile. You come to expect these things from him and he don't come off to random. It all falls in line with his Viper Moniker.

As he is incredibly old school but with the "Viper" moniker there is something real modern in that. He knows how to work in a theatrical sense, a real lost art in the business. In a good theatrical sense and not like The Undertaker or Kane who come off too unrealistic. Realism is a good touch in detail but Randy Orton's work rate is the bigger picture.
Some good points but I'd say this applied more to his character. At the end of the day the guy is in the ring with someone like MVP and I couldn't care less.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts

Sorry but this is EXACTLY what Im talking about. Having good delivery of moves does NOT make you a good crowd worker.

·
Student of the game? I am the f***in' Game!!
8,351 Posts
Sorry but this is EXACTLY what Im talking about. Having good delivery of moves does NOT make you a good crowd worker.
Yes it does. Everything in the ring works the crowd. Delivery is just one of many.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts