Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with all the recent speculation about sting coming to WWE, it has rekindled my inteerest in him. however i only ever got to see the sting in TNA, which was a far cry from his WCW days

Anyway, can anyone recommend the best of him in WCW to watch , thanks!

· Registered
1,978 Posts
with all the recent speculation about sting coming to WWE, it has rekindled my inteerest in him. however i only ever got to see the sting in TNA, which was a far cry from his WCW days

Anyway, can anyone recommend the best of him in WCW to watch , thanks!
I got a feeling this thread might be closed but i always enjoyed sting vs flair

· Registered
6,564 Posts
Sting vs. Vader about 1992 and 1993 was some of his best work. And, his first big match at the original Clash of the Champions in 1988 against Ric Flair...of course Vince will not give it much run as the Clash was on the same day as Wrestlemania IV.

· Harvester of Sorrow
13,772 Posts
You should check out his fued with Ric Flair and the Four Horsemen, Flair always regards Sting as one of his best opponents, and his matches with Mick Foley as well. Other then that, I think his fued with NWO was great as well

· Banned
4,461 Posts
His matches with the Great Muta were legendary
He was making guys like Foley stand out years before you ever heard of Mankind
His US title matches with Steve Austin are underrated throughout history
His feud with Rick Rude in 1993 was great
The Vader matches were a stand out because Vader won one of the first clean at Great American Bash in 92..shocked me
Sting/Luger vs Steiner Brothers were good matches that's been marred by fans only remembering DX garbage instead

Anyway..he has a ton of great moments..the franchise of WCW, if you will. Nobody was more of a symbol for that company than he was.

· Registered
9,636 Posts
Sting really carried WCW just before and definitely after Flair left for WWE. AnySting/Flair from 88-94 match is good to great and the Sting/Vader matches in 92 and 93.

· Banned
6,181 Posts

· Registered
7,601 Posts
I loved almost all of Sting's matches in between 1988 and 1996 which was probably his peak for his actual in ring work and his long term on and off feud with Ric Flair is one of the greatest of all time, it was arguably the feud that put WCW on the map. The match at Clash of the Champions in 1988 was a classic for that time but their match at The Great American Bash in 1990 when Sting won the NWA World title was also great.

The feuds and matches with The Great Muta, Mick Foley as Cactus Jack, Vader and Rick Rude were also all great for that time and i was more a fan of WCW than WWE because Sting was the first wrestler that i ever marked for. As a kid i don't think i had ever been as upset watching wrestling as much as i would be when Sting lost a match and a title but not realising it back then Sting put a lot of people over and also got a lot of people over as well.

If you want to watch entertainment though instead of matches then you simply have to watch Sting from the lead up to War Games in 1996 when The New World Order had a fake Sting signed up with them and we were about to see the change in character for Sting and then watch through to Halloween Havoc in 1998 and his feud with Bret Hart. In between mid 1996 and mid 1998 Sting was more popular than Stone Cold Steve Austin and no one can convince me otherwise, the crowd would absolutely crazy whenever he appeared and he was the face of WCW throughout his whole career there and was alongside The New World Order as the main reason Nitro beat Raw for a year and a half in the ratings.

· Banned
4,461 Posts
Haha Ive never sat down and watched ONE sting match in my life. And dont intend to btw. Will not be jumping on the sting bandwagon :)
Yet he reps two lame pieces of shit like Hickenbottom and Levasque? Two guys with some of the most overrated matches in history. Go figure.

· Registered
59 Posts
Sting is my all time favorite dating back to 89-90 when I started watching. He has had some excellent matched with Great Muta, Flair and Vader obviously, Cactus Jack, Rick Rude, Austin, Nikita Koloff, DDP later on...

Sting/Luger vs. the Steiners from the first Superbrawl is an amazing match.

The War Games against the dangerous alliance in 92 maybe was one of the best war games ever, and worth seeing...

Sting vs. Cactus at Beach Blast was a great match...

Sting vs. Samoa Joe at Bound for Glory was real good too...

Thats just off the top of my head but I would stick to 88-96 for his best in-ring work in NWA/WCW. Lots of good stuff...

· There's only one of me
1,269 Posts
Sting and Flair, Sting and Muta, if we're going to talk about the colorful version. Vader as well...but all three were already mentioned.

I was never a big fan of the Wolfpack Sting, though...but I did like when he first returned, dropping into the ring, and fighting off the NWO (memorable moment, when a handful of fake Stings came out to fight them, and Bagwell punched the real Sting and was dropped for it).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.