Wrestling Forum banner

The Best of Seven Series

7689 Views 213 Replies 91 Participants Last post by  thorwold

What are everybody's initial thoughts on this announcement?

Whilst the thought of the same guys wrestling seven times sounds nauseating it is worth remembering Booker T and Chris Benoit pulled it off twice in different companies to good effect.
1 - 20 of 214 Posts

· Registered
2,159 Posts
It seems like a bit much, IMO. I’m hoping it doesn’t go to 7, because I don’t think we need that many matches between these two trios. Not even trying to hate either. I’m okay with the elite being back and have nothing against DT. Idk that I’d want to watch any two wrestlers/teams in either company do a best of 7 right now.

· Registered
27,619 Posts
View attachment 139551

What are everybody's initial thoughts on this announcement?

Whilst the thought of the same guys wrestling seven times sounds nauseating it is worth remembering Booker T and Chris Benoit pulled it off twice in different companies to good effect.
i’ll tell you exactly what i think

the ‘bucks always wrestler the same match’ crowd are gonna be in the mud 😂

· Waiting for Kawato
5,741 Posts
The match was so good, and these guys are all so good, that I have no doubt they'll make it work, but when I first saw it the first thing that struck me definitely was that it was probably a bit much. If they have to do it I wish it were a LITTLE more spread out.

If they switch up what they do and aren't just doing a slight variation on the same match every week it could be great, but I don't know what the chances of that happening are. Certainly Pac, Omega and the Bucks are capable of working 7 completely different matches, we'll see how it goes. You just know the town that gets to the 2-minute surprise pin would consider themselves screwed over.

· Registered
399 Posts
As a fan of hockey and basketball, I can appreciate the appeal of a best of seven series. The PPV match yesterday was phenomenal so I definitely left that match wanting to see a rematch. If they can find different elements and endings to add to each match and build upon the feud, then I think they’ll be able to maintain the audience’s interest.

· CEO
3,968 Posts
It will be as awful as their match last night and any Young Bucks match. Those skinny fat geeks are truly the worst things in the business. They would need to book themselves at the top of the show and then cause the ratings to drop for the entire show as no one will stick around after having to endure even seconds of their dance routines.

· Waiting for Kawato
5,741 Posts
It seems like a bit much, IMO. I’m hoping it doesn’t go to 7, because I don’t think we need that many matches between these two trios. Not even trying to hate either. I’m okay with the elite being back and have nothing against DT. Idk that I’d want to watch any two wrestlers/teams in either company do a best of 7 right now.
Given they've announced dates and locations there's no WAY it won't go 7, which is one reason it was definitely stupid to do it like this. Given the last one is right in the Bucks backyard it seems obvious how it's going to end too.

· Registered
*coin drop*
15,267 Posts
Posted the same in the Dynamite thread but:

Why I love this:

• Guaranteed banger match every week.
  • Trios division has had some great matches but this could DEFINE it as a staple of AEW. A putting-it-on-the-map series.
  • Best of 7s are the more sporty approach many of us wanted from AEW, as it feels like a sporting contest with stakes.

Some other good best of's:

• Magnum TA vs. Nikita Koloff (NWA 1986)
  • Benoit vs. Booker T (WCW 1998, later redone by WWE in 2005)
  • Sheamus vs. Cesaro (WWE 2016)
  • Danielson vs. Homicide (ROH 2004~2005)

And the best of all:

• MGMG vs. Beer Money (TNA 2010)

Could they add different stips to the matches? Maybe, but I don't think it's a must. These are six supremely talented athletes with the ability to tell their stories without the props.

· Registered
20,758 Posts
It's dumb if all seven matches are trios. They could've make three of these matches solo, two matches 2 on 2 and two trios matches, or something like that

This is actually an innovative and creative idea. Which means Khan probably won't think of or consider doing it.

· Registered
*coin drop*
15,267 Posts
It's dumb if all seven matches are trios. They could've make three of these matches solo, two matches 2 on 2 and two trios matches, or something like that
It's a best of seven series for the TRIOS title though, so other variations wouldn't work unless no title was on the line.

· Registered
20,758 Posts
It's a best of seven series for the TRIOS title though, so other variations wouldn't work unless no title was on the line.
Thus why you probably shouldn't have a best of 7 (Which already looks like it's booked to go all 7] of the exact same match unless you're willing to be creative.

· Registered
20,758 Posts
1 - 20 of 214 Posts