Wrestling Forum banner

The best heel promo I ever saw

5585 Views 22 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  Rated_RKO_2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPV-rRdCAv0&feature=related

This was...stunning. Bearing in mind the first time WWE tried to turn him heel the crowd pissed on it, this is a work of art.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bret Hart after Wrestlemania 13 was still a face outside America. Rock 2003 only got so much heat because of the fact it was Toronto. If it wasnt the same city he pinned Hogan the year before, the heat would have been lower.

Dont get me wrong though, both great promos, I just think Eddie achieved perfection on that one night,

· Ho!
20,568 Posts
I don't know if it was the best, I'd have to really think, but off the top of my head, I can't think of any better.

Although I don't think it's the best, one other that deserves mention was Edge on the final Smackdown before Summerslam 2008. Edge showed his last bit of brilliance in the build up to Summerslam before he started deteriorating severely. All of his promos were amazing for those three weeks, but the last one... he really convincingly played a man who lost his mind, and almost possessed like. Now the thing is, it was all directed at Vickie, and if it was anyone else (that was somewhat important), the fans would have cheered her and boo'ed Edge. But nobody has sympathy for Vickie, and you couldn't really not side with Edge, even though he was the clear evil in that whole segment, and build up. One would have thought he was possessed by the devil himself. It was very Foley-esque, and honestly for me, it's definitely in the top 10 heel promos of the last decade... maybe even top 5. I'd say it was Edge's best. As for where I'd place it all time? I could see it maybe cracking the top 20, in the top 30 no doubt of heel promos.

I know I'd put Eddie's promo over that, but I thought it was worth a mention.

· The Ayatolla of Rock N Rolla
5,100 Posts
Shawn Michaels in Canada teasing a bret hart return back in 2005 when he was feuding with hulk hogan. He had the his theme music playing and the crowd were going insane only for them to realise he was just messing with them. The amount of heat HBK generated in that promo was just incredible. I think the crowd would have literally killed him if they had the chance.

· Registered
1,247 Posts
It would be nice if the WWE could have a promo like this...a story like this...passion like this....anything like this again. I think Miz has great potential to go to this level/ extreme (obviously Punk 2). Just needs the permission and good writing to support it.

· Banned
4,446 Posts
The Eddie heel turn promo? Excellent. Got it as one of my favorites on my Youtube playlist. Never ever get tired of listening to it. Such a departure from what he was doing all year before that point.

· STRONGER THAN A BEAR, FASTER THAN A BUCK!
2,101 Posts
The Rock - Toronto 2003
HBK Montreal - 2005

but yes this was a work of art.

· Registered
10,204 Posts
Man that was awesome, brought back some great memories. That promo gave me chills, when Eddie was looking into the camera and says "Don't make me take away their papa" it was legit scary, he looked like a sadistic SOB, but at the same time he was able to make me laugh during that promo, which was very interesting. The man was a genius and is greatly missed.

· Asuka
123,116 Posts
Eddie's the greatest heel of all time. Never seen anybody who could portray a psychosis the way he could, he really didn't look like he was acting. Everything about him felt organic, it was just beautiful. He's not really my favourite promo guy (he's pretty good, though), but nobody could be a sick fuck the way Eddie Guerrero could, his level of performance was second to none.

· Banned
761 Posts
I love that it took Eddie all but murdering Rey Mysterio to get people to boo him again. This promo was sick.

· Registered
54 Posts
The Rock in Toronto 2003. The way he had the ability to generate that much heat, then win the crowd over, then produce heat again. That was truly amazing.

"Yaaaay Toronto Yaaaay... That's where we live!!! Yaaaaay... SHUT UP!!!" - The Rock

· Registered
8,175 Posts
Awesome, awesome promo.

I've been watching a lot of Sgt. Slaughter promos back when he was the turncoat, and those promos were great too.

He got death threats, and bomb threats sent in to arenas. That's some serious heat! When he'd go to restaurants with his family, they'd refuse to serve him. That character had a huge effect on the country at the time because of the Gulf War.

Even though Sarge was just a transitional champion, he made the most out of his 2 month reign.

· Banned
2,149 Posts
As mentioned before, The Rock and HBK's Canada bashing promos are the best heel promos in the last 10 years IMO. HBK fed off the Bret Hart heat perfectly and The Rock would pick apart every city he went to.

· There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,895 Posts
Eddie's heel promo work here was remarkable. Only CM Punk in mid-2009 was able to almost capture that kind of deep, once-hidden darkness. (Jericho in 2008 is close, but it's a different kind of turn built around largely very different motivations.) Eddie in '05 and Punk in '09 were both beautiful, disturbing portraits of good men who had found themselves descending into becoming monsters. Brilliantly chilling work by Eddie here.

· Registered
7,589 Posts
Shawn Michaels in Canada teasing a bret hart return back in 2005 when he was feuding with hulk hogan. He had the his theme music playing and the crowd were going insane only for them to realise he was just messing with them. The amount of heat HBK generated in that promo was just incredible. I think the crowd would have literally killed him if they had the chance.
I would have to agree about the Shawn Michaels promo in Montreal in mid 2005 because i have never seen anyone get that much heat, as soon as he came out and said "who's your daddy Montreal" he got HUGE heat and that only became even more as the promo went on. I would say that this was probably Eddie Guerrero's best heel promo but Mick Foley would win for the greatest heel promo's ever in my opinion and would even go as far as to say no one will ever match them either.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.