Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So 10 years since the darkest day in wrestling (Nancy would have died on June 22nd 2007). This for me changed WWE to what it is today. PG, more emphasis on PR. I actually thought at the time I don't think I could watch a Benoit match but I eventually got over that but still even to this day I don't watch Benoit the same as I used to. But this really opened up the dark side of the wrestling business to the mainstream.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
His WCW stuff is pretty hard to watch at times since he was mostly with Nancy. Other than that I can still watch his matches from time to time.

·
Registered
16,460 Posts
I missed Benoits rise as that was during the time I stopped watching WWE for four years during the period of 2004 - 2009. And only knew him a little bit from his run on WCW.

I really only know him as nothing other than a murdering coward, so thats all he is to me, couldn't care less about his matches after what he did, man doesn't deserve my attention.

I know a lot of people liked him, and thats good for you. But I couldn't care less about the man.

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
we already had this thread not long ago and it got closed for obvious reasons.

this subject just leads to one person calling him a scumbag (which he is) and some chap living in a bubble comes out and says "you dont know what your talking about, hes the victim, hes not a monster" which snowballs into one big argument.

just saying before we head down that road.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I still watch his old matches. I don't see any good reason why not to. Him killing his wife and son doesn't change the fact that Chris Benoit vs Shawn Michaels vs Triple H was one of the greatest WM matches of all time.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Times flies.

It's been over a decade, and a part of me still does not believe that he murdered his wife and son. I realize that I might get a lot of flack for this, but he just didnt seem like a psychopath capable of committing such a heinous crime. To my knowledge, there was no note or anything from him in which he voiced/confirmed his guilt.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
One of the toughest issues the industry has ever had to deal with.

Chris Benoit went from one of the most revered workers to the most reviled in a matter of days. While there's been all this speculation about brain damage and the trauma he had dealt with, according to Nancy's sister the injuries inflicted suggests that it wasn't some violent confrontation that went horribly wrong and there was plenty of intent from Benoit. The Daniel stuff...I really don't want to touch on because in a sick way it seemed like Benoit's idea of a mercy killing, but to deny his son any chance of living is just unspeakable. Not a lot of celebrity deaths affect me, but this is one that whenever I think about it, it just makes me feel sick.

The post-Benoit Raw was one of those ideas that blew up in the WWE's face. Even with the benefit of hindsight, I'm not entirely sure what approach the WWE could have taken other than cancel the show altogether with a brief message for Nancy and Benoit's (for Daniel) family. They were in a no-win situation and feel bad for them whenever they're criticized for the tribute.

The weeks that followed were just a blur. The WWE really cracked down on it's drug policy which seemingly made it seem like they weren't really serious after Eddie's passing which sucked. Then they ramped up concussion testing which seems to be in the company's best interest, even though it's credibility has been called into question. I'm not sure which concussion test they've used but Punk was adamant they weren't that credible on the Colt Cabana podcast since the WWE officials still wanted to do further testing afterward. Now, you could argue Punk was just being stubborn but the point I believe he was making was that the WWE were covering their arses and used these tests that really aren't that effective to protect themselves. This eventually led to the Daniel Bryan retirement which is an ongoing story and will be interesting to see what happens when Bryan's existing deal runs out. If he ends up leaving and going to New Japan whatever, I hope to god he ends up okay. Especially after what happened to Shibata recently.

Like everyone else, I was bitterly disappointed we didn't get the Benoit-Punk match at the pay per view and to learn Benoit died ruined that day for me. I was like Jericho where I just sat in front of the PC and looked at every possible theory. I even bought into the 'Kevin Did It' angle as some reports of his arrest at an Atlanta airport came up but were later proven false. I was just so torn up and when it came out it really made me question my passion for anything television related (whether it be pro sports, tv shows etc.). It was a good lesson to get out of the way then and there that the only thing that truly matters is you and the people around you but it was a harsh one as well.

As for Benoit these days, I can still watch his work no issues. Benoit the pro wrestler is not like the Benoit we've heard about in personal stories so it's easy to disconnect myself from that and WrestleMania XX is still one of those shows I like to pop in from time to time. Before his death, Benoit was still my favourite wrestler on the roster and I was excited to see him finally leave SmackDown and become a main event attraction on ECW. In retrospect those early to mid years in the WWE become that much worse post-Benoit because you really do lose one of the best aspects of the show. Even though he wasn't a star attraction, Benoit's stuff was usually liked all across the board so now with most of it gone, it's so much harder to look at that era retrospectively.

If there's been any positives, it seems like a lot of those early wrestling deaths are becoming a thing of the past and guys are at least making it to their 50s. Still too young, but better than what it was like in the late 90s - mid 00s.

·
Banned
879 Posts
we already had this thread not long ago and it got closed for obvious reasons.

this subject just leads to one person calling him a scumbag (which he is) and some chap living in a bubble comes out and says "you dont know what your talking about, hes the victim, hes not a monster" which snowballs into one big argument.

just saying before we head down that road.
yep, having an opinion while patronizing the opposite side for not sharing your opinions. and you wonder why this snowballs into a huge argument to the point where these threads close lol

anyways, rip benoit, ya bastard

·
WF's resident Big Dog
8,098 Posts
Man another Benoit thread, I'll just repeat myself before it gets closed

He was one of my favourites, WM20 was a better ending than WM30 for me & obviously he was a surefire HOFer without any doubt

But then he threw it all away. People can spin it however they want but at the end of the day he googled quick ways to break a neck, murdered his wife, his son, tried to book flights & then killed himself following that google search..that's just inexcusable & I cannot celebrate that. People wanna bring Snuka up but that bastard got away with it cause he was "too ill to stand trial" when it came round then he died. Can't compare this to anything either.

Just a sick tragedy that took 3 lives (2 of them sadistically) & ruined a family.

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
yep, having an opinion while patronizing the opposite side for not sharing your opinions. and you wonder why this snowballs into a huge argument to the point where these threads close lol

anyways, rip benoit, ya bastard
its not about opinions in this case, its about knowing simple right from wrong, if you dont think killing two people is wrong and is simply an "opinion" then youve got some questionable morals, there is a line in the sand.

·
TONI POR TODO!
4,602 Posts
What a shock it was...
The guy seemed the perfect worker to me, just when I read that he missed the PPV I knew it was for something serious, because the guy just screamed a high nerdy passion for wrestling.

My take is... that the guy was just used to choke his wife. He may have been doing it for years, but that night he choked her too hard that she died, then he spent that weekend thinking what to do, then he must thought he just went beyond the point of no return...
And made the horrible awful decision to kill his son.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts