Wrestling Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
3,523 Posts
Well done to 'The Bellas'.... but by April 2020 they may be too pregnant to travel and step-daddy John Laurinaitis (wearing BirdieBee clothing) may have to accept the HOF on their behalf.
GOOD. Give me 20 minutes of Big John sounding like he gargled with razor blades than the Bella twins getting lost mid-sentence and then giggling.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I know that denial is an important part of this forum, but reading that The Bellas were not over makes you wonder if these people have really seen the Bellas run in WWE or they are simply following up to sound cool and edgy.

Just remember that 2 years ago the company had to bring them back for the women Royal Rumble to make Asuka win look greater because no one on the main roster was that popular.

Time to admit that only John Cena can say that his brand is bigger than The Bellas, all the others are unknows to the mainstream.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it's pretty clear now that Brock and Sable don't want the company to acknowledge her run in the WWE, it's a shameful past which they don't want to mention ever again.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Bellas should be in the celebrity section Hall Of Fame and no close to the wrestling side Hall of Fame.

"But their on Total Divas! They brought tons of media coverage! There highly talked about!"

Being reailty tv stars, having all this outside wrestling attetion on them, and filling mens heads of banging two hot twins has nothing to do with Wrestling.

When it comes to wrestling were talking about match quality, promo work, ability to get your character/gimmick over and connect with the crowd in a way weather babyface or heel.

AJ Lee should go in 500x more before the Bella Twins hell I might even say Paige to even though I never was really a fan of hers

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Why in god's name would that matter? WWE has inducted plenty of people that weren't fully retired. The cupboard of potential HOFers is almost bare, so it's understandable that WWE is scraping the bottom of the barrel with two of the very worst female performers in professional wrestling history, two chicks that talked as if they'd just been roofied and wrestled like a stack of wooden boards with learning disabilities.
They just both seem very young still, with plenty of career left ahead of them. Most HOF inductees are fully retired, or come back for one last run (like Angle, Goldberg). But it's rare to see HOF inductees who are still active superstars/performers. Maybe it's my fault for still considering them active, and maybe they're more "done" than I think.

They've both had a very long career, with some big moments. I think they're fine HOF inductees when you consider the other type of talents that have made it. Maybe they're not your cup of tea and that's fine - but I still think it's 100% fully merited.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Oh the Bella salt will be funny. Like it or not they've done good business for WWE. More than Elizabeth or especially any 2000s woman.
Maybe more than other 2000s women - but not Elizabeth. Savage would never have been that big of a deal without Elizabeth, as much as I love Savage I really believe that. Later on he didn't need her once he was established - but the pairing with Elizabeth is what put him up at the top in the first place and I don't think he gets there without her.

I don't hate the Bellas by any means, but I'd put Liz in before the Bellas.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Maybe more than other 2000s women - but not Elizabeth. Savage would never have been that big of a deal without Elizabeth, as much as I love Savage I really believe that. Later on he didn't need her once he was established - but the pairing with Elizabeth is what put him up at the top in the first place and I don't think he gets there without her.

As integral as Liz was to Macho's act at times, it wasn't as dependent on her as you think. As a heel, she was his own personal heater but he could've have gotten heat(just not the kind of heat he got) without her and after the face turn, she was essentially unnecessary until they needed him to go heel again to face Hogan. It's isn't that Elizabeth wasn't great in her role. She was and there were several moments that are essentially timeless that she was a big part of but Savage was always the star of the act and his work often showed that he didn't need her with him(even when she was). It was an interesting wrinkle to an act that was heavily inspired by Superstar Billy Graham. The addition of a beautiful woman who you couldn't hate even if she set you on fire was a good hook for sure but I hardly think that someone with the tools that Savage had NEEDED that hook to succeed in the manner he did.

·
Registered
20,044 Posts

I can't say she wasn't important for Macho, not my era. While she was attached to a much bigger act comparing them though Bella's have made more money for WWE than Elizabeth herself in particular.

Agree she should go in though. But because the WWE HoF doesn't have a time period for eligibility I don't really think when somebody gets in really matters personally. I mean Rock isn't in he should be in before Batista realistically. The other thing is how close are they to her family? Maybe it's close to an Owens situation were them and the family aren't in good standing

·
Registered
671 Posts
As integral as Liz was to Macho's act at times, it wasn't as dependent on her as you think. As a heel, she was his own personal heater but he could've have gotten heat(just not the kind of heat he got) without her and after the face turn, she was essentially unnecessary until they needed him to go heel again to face Hogan. It's isn't that Elizabeth wasn't great in her role. She was and there were several moments that are essentially timeless that she was a big part of but Savage was always the star of the act and his work often showed that he didn't need her with him(even when she was). It was an interesting wrinkle to an act that was heavily inspired by Superstar Billy Graham. The addition of a beautiful woman who you couldn't hate even if she set you on fire was a good hook for sure but I hardly think that someone with the tools that Savage had NEEDED that hook to succeed in the manner he did.
Hmmm- I don't know man. A lot of Savage's heat was also how he treated Liz (most would say he treated her like s**t). Not trying to diminish him at all - but I think you might be underrating her importance. At least to the people making the decisions like Vince.

Like Hogan opponents other than I guess Piper- they were all these large monsters. Savage wasn't that, although he had a good physique was not that large of a guy in the land of giants. Maybe Dibiase wasn't either I guess, but Bundy, Studd, One Man Gang, Orndorff (not as big as those guys but was a big jacked up guy), etc.

I guess my point is that I think in the land of WWE - Savage needed that extra something - or would have never been a true main eventer. I think his ceiling would have been the IC title.

Once he got to main event status - I think by then he was "made" and he no longer needed Liz.

I could be wrong though - you make fair points. Savage was a hell of a performer there is no doubt about it.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I can't say she wasn't important for Macho, not my era. While she was attached to a much bigger act comparing them though Bella's have made more money for WWE than Elizabeth herself in particular.

Agree she should go in though. But because the WWE HoF doesn't have a time period for eligibility I don't really think when somebody gets in really matters personally. I mean Rock isn't in he should be in before Batista realistically. The other thing is how close are they to her family? Maybe it's close to an Owens situation were them and the family aren't in good standing
Is there a way to even prove that the Bellas made more money than her though?

If that is the case - fair play. I do know that Bruce Prichard said Liz posters of her in a bikini were by far the biggest sellers of that era. Without Savage in the poster - just her. Bigger than Hogan posters, etc I'm pretty sure. Take that for it's worth.

Quite frankly I don't know one way or the other the total merch sold though.

And yeah the WWE HOF has probably more to do with who you know and how good of a relationship you have with Vince and the company than what your actual accomplishments are.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Hmmm- I don't know man. A lot of Savage's heat was also how he treated Liz (most would say he treated her like s**t). Not trying to diminish him at all - but I think you might be underrating her importance. At least to the people making the decisions like Vince.

Like Hogan opponents other than I guess Piper- they were all these large monsters. Savage wasn't that, although he had a good physique was not that large of a guy in the land of giants. Maybe Dibiase wasn't either I guess, but Bundy, Studd, One Man Gang, Orndorff (not as big as those guys but was a big jacked up guy), etc.

I guess my point is that I think in the land of WWE - Savage needed that extra something - or would have never been a true main eventer. I think his ceiling would have been the IC title.

Once he got to main event status - I think by then he was "made" and he no longer needed Liz.

I could be wrong though - you make fair points. Savage was a hell of a performer there is no doubt about it.
Who's to say who is wrong or right. To be honest, the true effect she had probably lies somewhere in between both our opinions on the matter. There is no denying that she had an impact on his career I just don't see her as more than a complementary piece to his act. He was always good at being a cocky prick and then being able to back it up in the ring she just helped him be extra douchey. She was all but Superfluous to his act as a babyface. Once he turned he didn't NEED her at all(and this was before he was WWF Champion). She had great moments though the greatest perhaps being SMNE on October 3rd 1987 when she tried to stop Honky from blasting Savage with the guitar. I'd put her in the Hall of Fame for that moment alone.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts

If that is the case - fair play. I do know that Bruce Prichard said Liz posters of her in a bikini were by far the biggest sellers of that era. Without Savage in the poster - just her. Bigger than Hogan posters, etc I'm pretty sure. Take that for it's worth.

And yeah the WWE HOF has probably more to do with who you know and how good of a relationship you have with Vince and the company than what your actual accomplishments are.
There was a bikini poster of Liz. Damn, I had the one with the workout gear(Pink sweater, headband, tiny weights in her hand) very 80's look going on. It's not surprising that a poster of a beautiful woman in a state of even moderate undress would sell like hotcakes to a testosterone-fueled predominantly male fanbase.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Lol at the Bellas getting in. The Hall of Fame is a joke. Its for those who are on Vince's good side and not blacklisted from the company for doing bad things or leaving on very bad terms. How on Earth can the Bella Twins get in before Elizabeth, Sable and so many others? Lol. So stupid.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Lol at the Bellas getting in. The Hall of Fame is a joke. Its for those who are on Vince's good side and not blacklisted from the company for doing bad things or leaving on very bad terms. How on Earth can the Bella Twins get in before Elizabeth, Sable and so many others? Lol. So stupid.

The how is right in your comment. It's not based on chronology or any particular achievement it's about personal and/or business relationships. Just look at Jeff Jarrett, a few years ago he would have been near the bottom of most people's list in terms of getting inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame yet here he is now. Not only is he in the Hall of Fame he's actively working for the company.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Why does everyone get in so soon now, can't they let the Bellas, Batista get old before putting them in? They're just getting more and more desperate it seems like.

·
Registered
20,044 Posts

I'm just thinking of the wider international fan base and money WWE may have made off the 2 TV shows

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I've asked this before. . . as with any HOF, there's a player/wrestler/musician/etc. that functions as a gatekeeper. They're the one that people say, ". . . but [insert name here] got in." Who is it for WWE?

We're comparing The Bellas to Miss Elizabeth. Instead of comparing them to each other, we should be comparing them to Koko B. Ware or Torrie Wilson or whomever that gatekeeper is to determine whether they're HOFers.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I know that denial is an important part of this forum, but reading that The Bellas were not over makes you wonder if these people have really seen the Bellas run in WWE or they are simply following up to sound cool and edgy.

Just remember that 2 years ago the company had to bring them back for the women Royal Rumble to make Asuka win look greater because no one on the main roster was that popular.

Time to admit that only John Cena can say that his brand is bigger than The Bellas, all the others are unknows to the mainstream.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it's pretty clear now that Brock and Sable don't want the company to acknowledge her run in the WWE, it's a shameful past which they don't want to mention ever again.
They had to bring them back for the rumble because they didn't have enough bodies lmao. Nothing to do with them being over or not.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts