Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AEW is having its ground collapsing from under its feet at an alarming rate. Viewership is at an all time low. This has nothing to do with NXT either, as NXT viewership has not increased tremendously.

NXT is not stealing viewers from AEW, its just that people are tuning out of AEW.

Its obvious the smarks running the promotion actually have no idea how to run a wrestling business. Full of midgets, no storylines, repetitive wrestling etc have been a recipe for disaster.

In a couple months viewership will drop to about 200k and then AEW will close. I believe this is the beginning of the end. What do u think?

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
They had increased viewership 2 weeks in a row after the World Series game 7 which killed all TV that Weds (NBA cut in half). Then barely shedded viewers despite a viewership loss but demo win in week 8 despite a stacked show by WWENXT opposing them. This past episode was probably their weakest overall episode in quality (I still enjoyed it) and while it took a viewership beatdown and a series low but it did still win the demo rating.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
I think Cody putting in his own stipulation against himself turned some people away. It was a weird stipulation. MJF was never really on Cody's side, it never convinced many, and then throwing in the towel made no sense as no one was convinced he was his manager. AEW wants to cater to the fans of the Attitude Era, or that style but they are misdirected in the way to do it.

Scorpio Sky suddenly propelled to a championship match because he pinned Jericho in a tag-team match? Is that how a proper win/loss record works? seems a little confusing, rushed and off-putting which is why they probably lost viewers last week.

Putting the AEW Championship title on the line on live television is a great idea at first, yet it was met by the wrong challenger at the wrong time. You have to realize that to the outside viewer, this seemed like a rushed attempt and tokenism.

They have great talent, decent booking overall, but their direction and storylines (creative) needs major improvements.

AEW wants to cater to A.E fans, style, but they have to realize that style was also about storylines, heavyweights, and younger talent.

There needs to be at least 2 new titles and actual weight classes in AEW....I am referring to a Heavyweight division with legitimate Heavyweights, a National Heavyweight Championship which would be the solid # 2 title, and ready to be the face of the company in case of injury or incapacity to the AEW Champion. They would also need a lighter version of the Hardcore title since many of us in the Attitude Era liked that as well, but obviously not call it the Hardcore nor Extreme title, you blend it in with the light heavyweights in which this title should be called the Bruiserweight Champion, Brawlerweight Champion, or Broadcast Champion. Obviously this division is meant for the light heavyweights/cruiserweights with potential to be promoted to Heavyweight division, or main event picture. AEW World Champion is not defined by a weight, and that is great because it could benefit 2 new classes. At one point in the near future they might need to introduce a Women's tag-team title.

Reality is they need a couple of new titles, a couple of legit weight divisions, a couple of diverse characters who can be legitimate contenders, and 2-3 proper creative writers and bookers of which one will be CCO.

As much as AEW Dynamite put on a great show last Wednesday, to the outside viewer it appeared that the AEW Championship match seemed rushed in terms of storylines and tokenism, and that is not how to properly build an audience. AEW needs an actual CCO (Chief Creative Officer). A CCO oversees Creative, Branding, Marketing, and Media. They need to get rid of these EVP tags as they don't have the actual experience to lead a startup company with a multi-million dollar budget, and it makes it seem that this isn't a full-time job even though they are very talented in the ring. New audience viewers aren't convinced that 4 EVPs in a start-up company actually have legit business experience to lead and cater to sponsors, those tags seem frivolous.

It is not the beginning of the end, mistakes happen in every start-up...These are lessons to improve, and properly build.

·
Registered
19,023 Posts
Nah they're a new promotion, being run by people new to this side of the wrestling business. They're having growing pains. That's to be expected. I mean when their worst objective problems are maybe they aren't selling out every arena and their least watched show was only seen by 600k people they're doing fine.

Should they be taking notes and trying to adjust of course. But they seem at this stage to be willing to adjust and adapt. So as of now they deserve the benefit of the doubt that they'll at least make attempts to make changes when necessary.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
First off: This is being way blown out of proportion.

Second: Even if you hate AEW, I hope you all understand that this is wrestling's last chance. If AEW fails then no other company will ever attempt something like this again. WWE will be the end all be all (barring NJPW and other small indie promotions).

I love AEW so far and it's fine if you hate it for whatever reason, but this shouldn't be celebrated.

·
None. More. Hated.
4,581 Posts
Random matches put on with no heat with the explanation of "well theres a ranking system so it matters, dummy" is not the way to run a national TV wrestling show. It was dumb from the start and it will always be.

Also, all these matches are the same. Like, every single one. Same flips, same flops, same no selling, fifteen 2.9 counts, its exhausting to watch. Almost mindnumbing. They need brawlers like Foley, technical masters like Angle and Hart, they need variety. I think guys like Omega and Pac can be that, as a matter of fact I've seen them do it. But they're so locked into this style, and it sucks. Straight up sucks.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
If you are not in a country where AEW is being broadcast, imma need to see a Fite subscription in order for me to listen to your bullshit

Too many fucking plebs on this board not even watching the show and commenting - or illegally steaming a new company, which makes you lower than crab shit

So.... ??‍♂

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Viewership would have to be down for a solid year before the Khan's would consider pulling the plug I'd imagine.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Lol so many trolls around here. AEW isn't gong anywhere for a long time. This year has been a huge success for them. They will need years of failure before they consider closing the company.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.