Wrestling Forum banner

161 - 180 of 1217 Posts

·
Banned
28,110 Posts
Re: 'The Batman' Movie (Release Date TBA) Ben Affleck To Direct

Just give me one or two villains please, the thought of Ben having to juggle multiple characters in his first blockbuster sounds ambitious but risky. I'd like to see him ease himself into this genre first by sticking to his strengths not jumping into the deep end, save the spectacle for down the road.

·
Premium Member
44,035 Posts

Honestly, I say just keep it to one villain and make it a villain that doesn't get used much, if at all.

Its a Batman movie, so you're guaranteed a strong opening weekend at least, and if its good, it'll have legs. So don't worry about cramming a bunch of crap into the film.

Just make it a Batman detective story with one main bad guy. I'd like for it to be someone like Hush or Black Mask.

·
Registered
513 Posts

What kind of source is Birth Movies Death? If I were you I would take these shit rumours as a grain of salt.

Devin Farci has been wrong about a lot of things. He said SS reshoots were to add humour, however the director himself said otherwise. He also said that James Wan was about to leave because of creative differences with WB. That also was proved wrong by James Wan himself.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts

I just want to see mr freeze

Reactions: SUPA HOT FIRE.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts

If the rumors of multiple villains are true then fpalm

WB/DC need to focus on just making a good fucking movie, which they haven't done since The Dark Knight, instead of coming of all desperate and pathetic trying to play catch up with MARVEL. The best thing for WB/DC to do right now is to literally just flat out ignore The MCU altogether and just focus on making a good coherent movie.

Ignore Joker he's been done to death and we'll see that in Suicide Squad anyway. Ignore any villain used in the Nolan Trilogy give us something new a serious take on The Riddler, Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy, Clayface, Firefly or the already heavily rumored Red Hood which I guess they HAVE to involve Joker in but if so they need to keep it extremely limited.

Just do SOMETHING to make me give a shit again DC. Dark Knight Rises was an utter pile of shit. Man Of Steel was a utter pile of shit on top of a trainwreck, and Batman v Superman would be a good movie... if you remove Superman, Doomsday & Lex Luthor Jr. . Batman and Wonder Woman literally stole the show but everything else was so cringeworthy, made literally zero sense or just flatout sucked.

·
Registered
15,734 Posts

Personally I'm a lot more open to different artist interpretations than most people
I feel the same way too. Reinterpretation of existing tropes and ideas is an artform in and of itself. If the movies were 100% faithful to Batman's origins then Bats would be running around with a gun and he wouldn't give a sh^t about killing if he deemed it necessary. Comic book traditionalists eventually settled on a "definitive" interpretation of Batman but that doesn't mean that different interpretations can't work. If the story is compelling and the characters acts logically within the inherent laws of their world then it can absolutely be good. That's why I love the Burton movies even tho he basically ignores canon for the most part

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts

I feel the same way too. Reinterpretation of existing tropes and ideas is an artform in and of itself. If the movies were 100% faithful to Batman's origins then Bats would be running around with a gun and he wouldn't give a sh^t about killing if he deemed it necessary. Comic book traditionalists eventually settled on a "definitive" interpretation of Batman but that doesn't mean that different interpretations can't work. If the story is compelling and the characters acts logically within the inherent laws of their world then it can absolutely be good. That's why I love the Burton movies even tho he basically ignores canon for the most part
Couldn't agree more (Y).

If the rumors of multiple villains are true then fpalm

WB/DC need to focus on just making a good fucking movie, which they haven't done since The Dark Knight, instead of coming of all desperate and pathetic trying to play catch up with MARVEL. The best thing for WB/DC to do right now is to literally just flat out ignore The MCU altogether and just focus on making a good coherent movie.
I don't see how multiple villains is necessarily face palm worthy seeing as how the Dark Knight was awesome and had 3 villains in it(Scarecrow, Two-Face, and Joker). Again all that really matters at the end of the day is the script and how it's presented. Many of his villains could be shown as cameos with 2 or 3 at most being the focus.

Also how is having multiple villains playing "catch up" to Marvel? In the case of Batman I don't feel it is, seeing as how people have been wanting a legit breathing Bat-Universe for years now. Plus many of Batman's villains are WELL KNOWN already. We don't need all these formal introductions for them. Not only that but this Batman is already in his early to mid 40's, so given the context 90% of his villains should already exist in some form or fashion.

It's all about context and Batman as a property when it comes to cultural awareness doesn't exist in the same form as many of the Marvel heroes do(or use to back in 2008).

·
Asuka
96,553 Posts

If they put the right people in charge sure. But it seems unlikely.
They don't know who the right people are, that's the problem. I don't expect this movie to be any better than Batman v Superman, to be honest. Lest we not forget that it was Affleck who brought on the guy who wrote it. He's just as culpable as Snyder if not more so, because while Snyder is a gigantic problem, and while his first movie has problems of its own, it was lightyears ahead of BvS and didn't devolve into a monstrous, universe breaking trainwreck.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts

Depends on the context. There are scripts that can pull off a lot of things going on, and there are scripts that have too much going on that it bogs down or ruins the movie.

Look at the difference between Avengers 1 & 2.
So would you be okay with exactly what I described?

Bats walks through Arkham and we get like a 5-10 second shot of each character in their cell...a basic way to show all the nutcases Bats has encountered over the years.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts

They don't know who the right people are, that's the problem. I don't expect this movie to be any better than Batman v Superman, to be honest. Lest we not forget that it was Affleck who brought on the guy who wrote it. He's just as culpable as Snyder if not more so, because while Snyder is a gigantic problem, and while his first movie has problems of its own, it was lightyears ahead of BvS and didn't devolve into a monstrous, universe breaking trainwreck.
Whether or not WB knows who the right guy is ATM doesn't change the fact that Ben still seems WAY safer of a choice for this Bat film going forward, than Snyder.

Also Terrio isn't writing the new Bat movie. It's Ben+Geoff Johns.

·
Asuka
96,553 Posts

I'm not saying Snyder should direct it. Good God no, but that doesn't mean that Affleck didn't make BvS worse, because he did. I know he did, because Man of Steel was 5000x better than BvS, so if it was all Snyder's fault, the film would've merely been average or below average like Man of Steel was and not Green Lantern level.

Affleck had major creative control to the point of getting the entire script re-made, and he didn't stop many of BvS's problems, including the most egregious one, which is Batman becoming a murderer, which he could've, which dooms this movie right from the get go as far as I'm concerned, so I don't have any confidence in him writing a Batman movie when he doesn't understand the character. And that's really a shame because he's CLEARLY the right person to be PLAYING the character, but not handling it.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts

I'm not saying Snyder should direct it. Good God no, but that doesn't mean that Affleck didn't make BvS worse, because he did. I know he did, because Man of Steel was 5000x better than BvS, so if it was all Snyder's fault, the film would've merely been average or below average like Man of Steel was and not Green Lantern level.

Affleck had major creative control and he didn't stop many of BvS's problems, including the most egregious one, which is Batman becoming a murderer, which he could've, which dooms this movie right from the get go as far as I'm concerned, so I don't have any confidence in him writing a Batman movie when he doesn't understand the character.
So in your mind Affleck should be watching TAS then? What novels should he be reading while he's writing the film with Geoff Johns? Like I said before you should put a lot of the blame on this version of Batman happening on Zack Snyder, David Goyer and Frank Miller who wrote what many people in the film and comic industry view as the greatest version and story of Batman, The Dark Knight Returns.

Affleck pretty much was playing that version of Batman but you knew that already. Then again I don't think The Dark Knight Returns exists in your view of Batman.

·
Asuka
96,553 Posts

So in your mind Affleck should be watching TAS then? What novels should he be reading while he's writing the film with Geoff Johns? Like I said before you should put a lot of the blame on this version of Batman happening on Zack Snyder, David Goyer and Frank Miller who wrote what many people in the film and comic industry view as the greatest version and story of Batman, The Dark Knight Returns.

Affleck pretty much was playing that version of Batman but you knew that already. Then again I don't think The Dark Knight Returns exists in your view of Batman.
No, The Dark Knight Returns doesn't exist in my view of Batman. It's not a good story. Never mind the fact, though, that he never kills anyone in it, so I don't know why anyone would use it as a murderous Batman defense. He should be taking his cues from Batman: TAS, yes, that's the definitive interpretation.

I do blame Snyder. He's not a talented director and he has no business being involved with DC, BUT, Snyder did a DC movie before, and say what you will about it, it wasn't THIS bad. Affleck brought in that hack of a writer, Terrio, and he had the creative power to veto anything he wanted, and he didn't, so yes, that's HIS fault. Goyer I don't think was even involved for the longest time. Terrio completely re-wrote the script to my understanding, and why would I blame Frank Miller? Fine, he wrote a shit story, but he didn't force them to take cues from it, they decided to do that. I'm not gonna blame somebody who wasn't involved in making the movie.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts

No, The Dark Knight Returns doesn't exist in my view of Batman. It's not a good story. Never mind the fact, though, that he never kills anyone in it, so I don't know why anyone would use it as a murderous Batman defense. He should be taking his cues from Batman: TAS, yes, that's the definitive interpretation.

I do blame Snyder. He's not a talented director and he has no business being involved with DC, BUT, Snyder did a DC movie before, and say what you will about it, it wasn't THIS bad. Affleck brought in that hack of a writer, Terrio, and he had the creative power to veto anything he wanted, and he didn't, so yes, that's HIS fault. Goyer I don't think was even involved for the longest time. Terrio completely re-wrote the script to my understanding, and why would I blame Frank Miller? Fine, he wrote a shit story, but he didn't force them to take cues from it, they decided to do that. I'm not gonna blame somebody who wasn't involved in making the movie.
The closest you are ever going to get to that version of Batman is what Chris Nolan did. Like I said most people who are actors, directors or writers that like Batman worship, The Dark Knight Returns, Year One and maybe The Killing Joke. BTW I think all that Terro did was rewrite dialogue for BVS by the time he came on the story you saw on that screen was pretty much Snyder & Goyer.

So when Ben is done with Batman you are just going to be pissed that the next person does not worship Kevin Conroy Mark Hamill or Paul Dini.

·
Asuka
96,553 Posts

Well if they did, BvS would've made a million and well past it. If they want to lose money, that's fine with me. I guess I'll have to just be content with Marvel and having the proper version of this universe in cartoons and the Arkham games.

BTW I think all that Terro did was rewrite dialogue for BVS by the time he came on the story you saw on that screen was pretty much Snyder & Goyer.
I don't buy that for a second. You don't go from making an average comic book movie to one of the all time worst with the same people in charge in such a short time. Just doesn't happen. Terrio himself said writing this movie was the hardest job he's EVER done.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts

Well if they did, BvS would've made a million and well past it. If they want to lose money, that's fine with me. I guess I'll have to just be content with Marvel and having the proper version of this universe in cartoons and the Arkham games.
Like I said the closest you will ever get is the Nolan films and if you did not like that take on Batman then no one will ever make a Batman film to your standard unless you made it and told everyone involved that the film from the top down will be Batman The Animated Series brought to life.

·
Asuka
96,553 Posts

I do like the Nolan movies (the first two at least), but that's not Batman either. The Nolan movies are about a cop in a batsuit. There's nothing comic booky about them, they're completely real world, reality based.

All I want is a Batman movie set in a comic book universe with a good script where he doesn't kill people. That is not asking too much.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts

I do like the Nolan movies (the first two at least), but that's not Batman either. The Nolan movies are about a cop in a batsuit. There's nothing comic booky about them, they're completely real world, reality based.

All I want is a Batman movie set in a comic book universe with a good script where he doesn't kill people. That is not asking too much.[/Q.UOTE]

Then have DC sell the rights to Batman to Marvel. Would never happen in a million years.

Most Batman stories don't really have the vibe you want outside of TAS. Would you like film influenced by The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Death of the Family/Under the Red Hood, whatever Grant Morrison did with Batman RIP, Batman Inc, Final Crisis, new 52 Scott Synder Batman.

That is were people will draw influence from to make Batman films.

·
Asuka
96,553 Posts

Hey, I've argued that WB needs to sell DC to Disney. I'm all for it. They'd turn that ship around fast, and not just Batman, all of it.

I don't read the comics (with incredibly rare exceptions), so I don't care what storyline they do. Make something new for all I care, just don't have him kill, and have everything be well acted, well directed and make sense. It shouldn't be as hard as they make it.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts

I don't buy that for a second. You don't go from making an average comic book movie to one of the all time worst with the same people in charge in such a short time. Just doesn't happen. Terrio himself said writing this movie was the hardest job he's EVER done.
That's because Nolan was there to reel Snyder in on MOS, you could feel his influence over that movie up until the last half hour. If you don't think a director can butcher a good script, think again. Snyder's wife revealed the Batman nightmare/Flash scene wasn't in the script, who's to say there weren't several scenes like that? He didn't even have a definitive explanation for why the Robin suit was in there. Snyder shouldn't get the blame for every thing that goes wrong in this universe, but you have to blame him for the issues with his own movie. And this coming from someone who doesn't hate the guy like a lot of people around here.

161 - 180 of 1217 Posts