Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1210 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
A standalone Batman movie starring and directed by Ben Affleck is officially in the works, Warner Bros. chief Kevin Tsujihara confirmed Tuesday at CinemaCon.

It was reported in July 2015 that Affleck was in talks to star and direct, but Tuesday’s announcement marks the first official confirmation of his involvement. Affleck made his debut as the Caped Crusader in “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” which bowed March 25.

Tsujihara first mentioned Affleck when he took the CinemaCon stage in Las Vegas, saying that the studio was excited to be moving forward on the standalone Batman film with the actor and filmmaker.

Tsujihara said the studio has committed to 10 DC films — most of which have already been announced — within the next five years, then named every movie along with their director, including Batman with Affleck.

Warner Bros. confirmed that Affleck would be directing the movie later on Tuesday in a press release.

Affleck took the stage later, along with his “Batman v Superman” co-star Amy Adams. He did not, however, go into further details on the standalone Batman movie.

Despite its massive $166.1 million opening weekend — the seventh-biggest of all time — the box office receipts for “Batman v Superman” look like something of a disappointment for Warners. It’s doubtful that the movie will reach the coveted $1 billion worldwide mark.

Warner Bros. had already planned a sprawling slate of movies in the DC universe through 2020, with “Suicide Squad” on deck. Also planned are “Wonder Woman”; “Justice League” Part One and Two, which will see Affleck reprise his role; “Aquaman”; “Cyborg”; and “The Flash.”
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/ben-affleck-batman-standalone-directing-1201752021/

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Re: Rumor: Ben Affleck to direct 'The Batman' for 2018 release

I don't know how long it was going to take, but about fucking time Affleck takes some directing duties in one of these films, especially one starring the Goddamn Batfleck. Argo and Gone Baby Gone are brilliant, and The Town is damn good too. And given how Terrio was the writer for Argo, it gives me great hopes for this movie.

Not sure if we'll ever see anything better than The Dark Knight, but we may get something to give it a run for its money. Now... given how almost every major Batman villain was already played in TDK trilogy or will get played in Suicide Squad... JOHNNY DEPP AS THE RIDDLER PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE?!!!

·
Banned
28,112 Posts

Sweet! I was expecting Ben's solo Batman in 2019 so I'll gladly take it a year earlier. I can't wait to see how his directing skills translate over into the Comic Book Blockbuster genre, he's a done a tremendous job so far with his movies but will he be able to handle the action side of things?

60,000 Posts

I'm excited for this even more now. I was already sold on anything Batman, but this seems to be the logical direction to go.Keep the subject matter dark and broody and I think he can hit the ball out of the park. Affleck has a terrific history of directing in recent years and maybe this Batman gives The Dark Knight a run for its money as far as critical acclaim goes.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts

I'd love to see the Court of Owls, Hush or even a creepier Scarecrow since he's one of my favorite villains. Probably wishful thinking since they'll likely just continue his storyline with Joker.

·
You Spoony Bard
9,920 Posts

Talk shit about his acting or forehead all you want, but Affleck is an exceptional director. He'll do a great job.

·
Super Moderator Going Backwards With WF
33,365 Posts

Im certainly intrigued on how he will do in Batman vs Superman, so ill wait until then to judge how his take on being Batman is.

But im a fucking Batman freak, so i am looking forward to hearing more about this, what villian(s) he will use, and what direction he takes this into. Realistic like Nolan, or another way.

Besides, as a director, he rarely a miss TBH, so.

·
Banned
14,424 Posts

I wonder how Kevin Smith really feels that Ben Affleck stole the life he wanted.

·
Respect My Pimphand..
15,378 Posts

Great news, I read it yesterday, but I really hope the next Batman Universe is similar to the Batman: Arkham City games so we can see fantasy elements like Clayface, Man-bat, and Solomon Grundy.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts

Frankly I'm looking more anxiously forward to this than I am Justice League, since that... well, Zack Snyder. Look, maybe he'll prove me wrong in the future, and I am excited for Batman V Superman - out of the trailer and the posters, I can see that they transformed this into a WM 30 Daniel Bryan-like scenario where it was never the plan to try to cover up the blunders of Man Of Steel from a story perspective (Superman 'protecting' a city by destroying it in a fight and killing thousands, etc.) and use those as an instrument for the benefit of BVS's plot, and I like that a lot. Still won't make me think good of MOS, but yeah.

Now, I think I can start fanboying and dream casting. Most likely is that, given the background behind Batman's presence in Suicide Squad, they're going the Red Hood route, and I think Jensen Ackles is totally fit for that. But there are a few examples I consider more awesome... JOHNNY DEPP AS THE RIDDLER PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. If you're going instead for a villain you've never had, examples could be Christoph Waltz as Hugo Strange, Ray Liotta as Black Mask or Ewan McGregor as Basil Karlo Clayface (this latter would be excepionally great for a Nolan-style movie). And if there was a secondary villain, I'd like to see Baby Doll from TAS (crazy, I know, but I think DC would have the balls to pull it off, especially if JLA is a hit), played by either Chloe-Grace Moretz or Mackenzie Joy (who played young Murph in Interstellar). Besides that, I assume we'll have Jim Gordon by obligation, and even though Oldman was perfect, I say Bryan Cranston is a great replacement. And for Barbara, I would love for either Emily Blunt or Evan Rachel Wood.

·
Salt of the Earth
16,443 Posts

The generation of recycled over budgeted poorly made action movies based around men wearing capes era in force.

I will still watch, I like Batman.

·
Respect My Pimphand..
15,378 Posts
Frankly I'm looking more anxiously forward to this than I am Justice League, since that... well, Zack Snyder. Look, maybe he'll prove me wrong in the future, and I am excited for Batman V Superman - out of the trailer and the posters, I can see that they transformed this into a WM 30 Daniel Bryan-like scenario where it was never the plan to try to cover up the blunders of Man Of Steel from a story perspective (Superman 'protecting' a city by destroying it in a fight and killing thousands, etc.) and use those as an instrument for the benefit of BVS's plot, and I like that a lot. Still won't make me think good of MOS, but yeah.

Now, I think I can start fanboying and dream casting. Most likely is that, given the background behind Batman's presence in Suicide Squad, they're going the Red Hood route, and I think Jensen Ackles is totally fit for that. But there are a few examples I consider more awesome... JOHNNY DEPP AS THE RIDDLER PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. If you're going instead for a villain you've never had, examples could be Christoph Waltz as Hugo Strange, Ray Liotta as Black Mask or Ewan McGregor as Basil Karlo Clayface (this latter would be excepionally great for a Nolan-style movie). And if there was a secondary villain, I'd like to see Baby Doll from TAS (crazy, I know, but I think DC would have the balls to pull it off, especially if JLA is a hit), played by either Chloe-Grace Moretz or Mackenzie Joy (who played young Murph in Interstellar). Besides that, I assume we'll have Jim Gordon by obligation, and even though Oldman was perfect, I say Bryan Cranston is a great replacement. And for Barbara, I would love for either Emily Blunt or Evan Rachel Wood.
:clap Well done! I love all of those casting choices. I think if they do Hugo Strange like you said, they should use Grundy as his mindless giant zombie/Frankenstein henchman. If they made him similar to Arkham City it would be splendid.

Seeing Clayface done on screen with justice has always been my top wish from a batman movie along with a Arkham game accurate Bane, with the motivations and intelligence of Nolan's version.

·
Banned
14,424 Posts

I know he overcompensates how happy he is that Affleck is Batman, directing Batman, writing Batman, etc.. When you know it's his lifelong dream to be doing all of that himself. And instead the guy he "made" is doing it. You know Smith secretly rescues puppies, and names them Matt Damon, then strangles them later that night while wearing his mother's dress and screaming "THAT'S WHAT YOU GET, BEN, I'LL TAKE EVERYTHING YOU LOVE TOO"

·
I'm the world's greatest superhero. I can do whate
20,359 Posts

I have no qualms with Affleck as Batman really. I do wonder how he does as Wayne though. Thankfully he has approved tremendously over the last few years and it has to be better than the Clooney and Kilmer versions.

·
Premium Member
7,027 Posts

Affleck as Batman...hmm...interesting choice.

I'll reserve judgment until the movies are out, but on paper, it's a huge step down from god Christian Bale.

·
Registered
12,449 Posts

Great news, I read it yesterday, but I really hope the next Batman Universe is similar to the Batman: Arkham City games so we can see fantasy elements like Clayface, Man-bat, and Solomon Grundy.
lol Zack Snyder being at the helm of majority of these projects, don't have much hope for those movies. He'll make them all "dark and gritty" to the point where there's not a single smile in the film. Affleck seems to have a solid resume for directing, I liked The Town quite a bit but I can't help but feel all of this is Snyder's vision because of how heavily involved he is with the DC Cinematic Universe. Just look at the way the Joker is, the way Superman is. It's all up in the air really and it worries me

1 - 20 of 1210 Posts