Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all like to mention that reason WWE is in the shitter is because they failed to develop anyone other than John Cena and Randy Orton. But lets take a look at things.

Back in the Attitude Era the established names were Rock and Austin and Triple H. Guys like Angle and Big Show were main eventers but they were never guys that put asses in seats. The undercard consisted of guys like Edge, Jericho, Benoit, Guerrero etc.

When Austin and Rock left, wrestling popularity fell tremendously and Triple H who's face we saw in the main event over and over since 1998 managed to keep his face in the main event over and over from 2002-2005. No surprise the audience got tired of him. The audience also obviously didn't take a liking to the other guys WWE presented as the next group of icons; Jericho, Angle etc but they did find some success in Lesnar though.

Now don't get me wrong, Attitude Era undercard guys got pops today's main eventers wish they could get but the fact is apart from Rock, Austin and Triple H the Attitude Era failed to produce anyone to take over when those guys left. Just like today WWE hasn't made one person that take over the reigns when Cena and Orton are going to leave.

So the same principle applies today that applied 10 years ago. If they're making you a shit ton of cash, forget about long term planning just shove, shove, shove till they get past their sell date. And it's a fact Austin was way past his sell date by 2002 and by 2003 he became routine, stale, boring and predictable just like Cena is today.

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
well the midcarders in the AE became main eventers after it was over , Eddie guererro , chris benoit , Edge , Jericho .. that and addition to Attitude stars like Foley and Rock and triple h put over new talents like Brock lesnar , Randy Orton , and Batista from 2002 to 2005 ..

but if you meant by stars as in mega-draws , you gotta know that making a mega-draw isn't quite easy or a walk in the park, you can push a guy with 10 title reigns and multi-main events and he still can't draw asses to the seats , like randy orton for example ..

look at mick foley , let's be honest WWF at the time never looked at the guy as a face of the company , but he was so brilliant he became a top draw and had 500,000 people switch the channel just to see him win the title

·
Banned
2,092 Posts
dude when Edge, Jericho, Benoit, Guerrero was around so was Cena and it was CENA who getting the push since 2004 till present

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
I don't even know where to begin with this one. The Attitude Era didn't create stars? Austin, Rock, HHH, Foley, Jericho, Benoit, Guerrero, Angle, Edge... those guys all became stars during the so-called Attitude Era. And every one of them main evented a Wrestlemania at some point in their careers so they were all STARS whether you think they put asses in seats or not.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Historically, every era of the WWE has had two big name guys surrounded by very good talent

Hogan&Savage had Slaughter, Warrior, Andre and Piper

Bret&Shawn had Taker, Diesel, Razor and the Hart foundation.

Austin&Rock had Taker, HHH, Foley, Jericho, Angle, Kane and DX.

Cena and Orton have Punk..............and ermmmmmmm

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't even know where to begin with this one. The Attitude Era didn't create stars? Austin, Rock, HHH, Foley, Jericho, Benoit, Guerrero, Angle, Edge... those guys all became stars during the so-called Attitude Era. And every one of them main evented a Wrestlemania at some point in their careers so they were all STARS whether you think they put asses in seats or not.
THIS.....

A company doesnt need 20 stars its pointless. It had the big draws of Undertaker, Austin, Rock, HHH, Foley. and then this was backed up with quality players like those listed above.

The difference was there wasnt a weakness on the card: New Age Outlaws, Hardy Boys, Dudleys, APA, Big Show, D'Lo, British bulldog, x-pac.

Look at the list of wrestlers on the royal rumble 2000 PPV, each wrestler you were happy to watch. now the show has 4 guys you want to know what happens and who cares if you miss the rest!

WWE NEEDS to build people, not to main event for you to care about!

·
HEADBANGA
21,318 Posts
We all like to mention that reason WWE is in the shitter is because they failed to develop anyone other than John Cena and Randy Orton. But lets take a look at things.

Back in the Attitude Era the established names were Rock and Austin and Triple H. Guys like Angle and Big Show were main eventers but they were never guys that put asses in seats. The undercard consisted of guys like Edge, Jericho, Benoit, Guerrero etc.

When Austin and Rock left, wrestling popularity fell tremendously and Triple H who's face we saw in the main event over and over since 1998 managed to keep his face in the main event over and over from 2002-2005. No surprise the audience got tired of him. The audience also obviously didn't take a liking to the other guys WWE presented as the next group of icons; Jericho, Angle etc but they did find some success in Lesnar though.

Now don't get me wrong, Attitude Era undercard guys got pops today's main eventers wish they could get but the fact is apart from Rock, Austin and Triple H the Attitude Era failed to produce anyone to take over when those guys left. Just like today WWE hasn't made one person that take over the reigns when Cena and Orton are going to leave.

So the same principle applies today that applied 10 years ago. If they're making you a shit ton of cash, forget about long term planning just shove, shove, shove till they get past their sell date. And it's a fact Austin was way past his sell date by 2002 and by 2003 he became routine, stale, boring and predictable just like Cena is today.
So Edge and Jeff Hardy didn't become big draws?

·
You want it all but you can't have it.
2,986 Posts
You know, usually it's "Bring back the Attitude Era" threads that are annoying, but I swear the anti-Attitude Era threads are just as worse.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
It was the night after WM 14 that Triple H basically set out on his ascent to the top. Until then he was HBK's hanger on. Chyna and Sable had a lot of coverage. Chris Jericho finally reached the main event scene in 2000. They made robotic Chris Benoit a bonafide star that year and pushed Kurt Angle as number two heel. Hardy Boyz merchandise was very popular that year. Not forgetting the McMahon family as a whole.

·
P.O.P., hold it down
22,552 Posts
You know, usually it's "Bring back the Attitude Era" threads that are annoying, but I swear the anti-Attitude Era threads are just as worse.
This.

I mean come on, I immediately shook my head in disbelief at your stupidity when I read the title.

Arguably the WWE's two biggest draws of all-time were created in the Attitude Era.

·
Employee Of The Month At Dale's Dead Bug
4,733 Posts
Historically, every era of the WWE has had two big name guys surrounded by very good talent

Hogan&Savage had Slaughter, Warrior, Andre and Piper

Bret&Shawn had Taker, Diesel, Razor and the Hart foundation.

Austin&Rock had Taker, HHH, Foley, Jericho, Angle, Kane and DX.

Cena and Orton have Punk..............and ermmmmmmm
This.

·
Employee Of The Month At Dale's Dead Bug
4,733 Posts
Uh, let's see the Attitude Era created stars like Steve Austin, The Rock, Triple H, Kane, Mankind/Mick Foley, Kurt Angle, Chris Jericho, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, Jeff Hardy, and Edge.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Well, if you say they didn't create stars. They created entertainment, show after show it was an action-packed blast they kept people watching. Besides, they created Edge, Jericho, Angle etc...

·
Registered
373 Posts
Haha, I can imagine. I just try and laugh, but it's so difficult with this thread. At least with "Rock vs Stone Cold" threads you get a lot of righteous indignation and super trolling. This is just plain idiotic and everyone knows it.

Bring out the gifs, people. Tell the OP what you think of him in picture form. At least it the thread might get a few laughs

·
Arrive Post Leave
501 Posts
the attitude era had so many stars that the likes of edge, christan , jeff hardy could barely make raw never mind a PPV.

the problem today isint the big names like cena , orton , cm punk. its the midcard. in the attitude era you had interesting matches throught the card , not just the main event. you'd have had the new age outlaws in a tag match , the godfather pimping his ho train vs the most dangerus man ken shamrock, hardcore holy vs al snow for the hardcore title , austin kicking the shit out of someone back stage , all before you even got to a main event match.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts