Wrestling Forum banner

6341 - 6360 of 6765 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I can't believe I forgot to mention "Longest Singles Undefeated Streak in Modern History". There's that too, all under the company's umbrella.

·
NBA
5,290 Posts
The first to hold all championships, get consistent mic time, be in main events of PPVs, And so on. We're too in the bubble right now to necessarily see the forest for the trees.
I see the forest, and that forest in a 4 Ponies one. I don't want Asuka to be the next most important and best booked thing. i want her to be the most important and best booked thing. Yeah, she's got accolades, but she's had to have months and mnoths of no build 5 mnis matches with shitty talent nistead of having marquee matches every PPV like a certain pony does. I want to be albe to enjoy as many stuff from her Main roster run as possible when i rewatch her stuff in the future. i don't want to skim through things. mind you, it's now been 4 years on the main roster, so slo9wly but surely, the amonut of poorly booked Asuka is going to surpass the amount of good stuff you could watch during her last 5 years as Kana and first 3 years as Asuka.

Is it worth it? Those accolades on their own aren't enoguh if they don't come with the preferential treatment that should be coming with them.

And the way they book her certainly isn't specific to her, and her alone. Most of the rest of the roster would kill for everything she's achieved and/or gotten.
Most people from ,Somalia, Sudan or Chad would kill to be in the shoes of a low class citizen from a 1st world country. doesn't mean said low clas citizens should be happy with what they got.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I would argue that Kurt was better booked by simply being a man. Like it or not, women's wrestling still isn't treated at the level that men's is. You're either in the title picture or you're not. That's the women's division. For men, there's always things to do even if you don't compete for the title, most matches on PPVs are still predominantly men's matches, with only 2 matches usually for the women, the RAW and SD title matches. And sometimes not even that.

There just isn't the same level of focus devoted to women, and that's why it's become so damn hard for them to get any woman over nowadays. Fans know if you're not in the title picture, you basically don't matter.
But that's a women's division issue, not specifically an Asuka issue.

·
NBA
5,290 Posts
I can't believe I forgot to mention "Longest Singles Undefeated Streak in Modern History". There's that too, all under the company's umbrella.
Umaga had a long ass streak. Kozlov had one. No one cared because the rest of the booking wasn't anything to write home about.

But that's a women's division issue, not specifically an Asuka issue.
Here's the thing. I don't want Asuka to have to put with those endemic issues, no matter how many other workers from the promotion also do. f she's going to spend the next 5 years aka the last years of her prime, toilering away doing shit just because "it's the way things go" then may as well leave the promotion, pack those bags and head back to her original scene.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Well, we know how you two will see her overall run, but that's not necessarily how many others will see it, in hindsight. Time will tell.

And if she's unhappy and wants to move on to another promotion, more power to her. That's for her to decide. But it seems like she's pretty settled in Las Vegas, so you're probably looking at a North American promotion.

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
Not to mention, most of the dream booking scenarios, at least on my part, now all pertain her going back to Japan and working most of the promotions as a top heel again. Don't know, but kinda tired and lost hope with the way big American promotions approach women's wrestling presentation and booking wise. Guess you could say Asuka should then go to Impact or something but, don't know, if she's going to go to a smaller promotion, may as well to a women's only and where she'll also be more in control of her booking and not get constricted storyline wise by the nationality thing.

And since that would be non wwe related, people in here would probbly complain about it being "off topic", since theys eem to be allergic to non wwe related discussion.
These "I wish she would just leave" posts is us admitting that things won't change in the WWE. Asuka is essentially on a hamster wheel. If she's getting paid and happy, then good for her, but it's really not been the most satisfactory watch for her fans overall the last 3 years. The accolades are given to her only because she's just that damn good, but they've done everything else in their power to minimize her in comparison to others Vince prefers. To me that's not something to celebrate.

(I fully realize things may not be better if she leaves also, plus her age means few promotions would make plans to build around her at this point, which makes the WWE screwing up some of her best years even more annoying)

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
Well, we know how you two will see her overall run, but that's not necessarily how many others will see it, in hindsight. Time will tell.
Well, if you log onto twitter and search "Asuka" I would bet you over 70% of the posts on her the past few months are more focused on her bad booking than anything else. And no, those aren't Hugo and my twitter accounts either lol. Even though in kayfabe she's had a good year, people who watch the shows know she's not booked up to the standards they usually book a normal champion.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Well, if you log onto twitter and search "Asuka" I would bet you over 70% of the posts on her the past few months are more focused on her bad booking than anything else. And no, those aren't Hugo and my twitter accounts either lol. Even though in kayfabe she's had a good year, people know she's not booked up to the standards they usually book a normal champion.
And that's right now. We won't know the overall picture until a number of years from now.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
To be clear, if she wants to go somewhere else after her current contract expires, I'm cool with it. I think one of the reasons she came to the States is because she wanted a bigger platform, and also to put less stress on her body, because she got the shit kicked out of her regularly in Japan. What she does now is up to her.

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
To be clear, if she wants to go somewhere else after her current contract expires, I'm cool with it. I think one of the reasons she came to the States is because she wanted a bigger platform, and also to put less stress on her body, because she got the shit kicked out of her regularly in Japan. What she does now is up to her.
She likely won't. She seems content enough and I'm sure no other place compares in salary, and she does like her money (as does everyone). I'm just saying it's not so much fun for us.

As far as less stress on her body, I don't know if that was the primary reason. For Nakamura it was, but I don't know about her. The biggest reason is the WWE REALLY wanted her and was willing to pay her more money than she was making in Japan. She didn't go seeking out the WWE, they went seeking her out. This is on record.

She still attempts to create some illusion of realism in her matches even in the WWE, moreso than most stars. Also the idea that the WWE is easier on one's body is sort of a myth, since their workload is more prolific (pandemic schedule notwithstanding), like a drip-drip-drip effect. In Japan they go hard but also usually have more time off between matches to recover.

·
NBA
5,290 Posts
Now that she's got the accolades she got in america, it's about time she put them to good sue and went there to get special attraction bookings. Yeah, no promotion would build around someone in their 40s, but they would book shows and storylines around her vs the top name. Unles you are one of Vince's absolute favourites, once you get phased out, you are used only to job and be in tag teams with utter crap or get forced to become a fucking "coach" who trains wrestlers to learn the wwe way (I'm gonna puke). I don't want that.

At least over there in japan she would be able to work the dates freely across promotions she wanted and would control her storylines (you know, like she sued to in the first half of the 10s).

Talking from a fan's perspective. Don't care about the money per se. As in, I want her to get better paid in wwe because I want her to get better paid compared to other cowrokers I perceive as inferior who get paid better than her. You take that weird variable out of the equation, i don't give a damn about the amount of 0s a wrestler gets. I care about me liking the stuff they are put in and them being booked the their full potential.

The elephant graveyard would defo push the shit out of her :geek:.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Yeah, it depends on how many dates they work. A full road schedule with live events could certainly be more taxing on the body than a run in Japan with far fewer dates. But given that they're moving away from the live-event model, methinks she's not doing as much damage as in her peak years in Japan.

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
The one boon about AEW is that they allow you to wrestle outside the company. Asuka making her own schedule and travelling around the world wrestling and taking pictures with her SIGMA cameras is certainly an attractive alternate path, and she's a big and respected enough name to get consistent work everywhere.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Then Tony Khan and Kenny Omega had better pony up the money. Back the Brinks truck up behind her place in Vegas. ;)

·
NBA
5,290 Posts
Nah, fuck AEW. I don't want her anywhere near shit like Baker Jay or Brandi and getting less TV time, merch, money and booknig than them. The whole freelancing across the wrold getting special attraction appearances in shows thing sounds appealing though.

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
Nah, fuck AEW. I don't want her nowhere near shit like Baker Jay or Brandi and getting less TV time, merch, money and booknig than them. The whole freelancing across the wrold getting special attraction appearances in shows thing sounds appealing though.
I think being on TV semi regularly is still important. I wouldn't want her to be full time. But as someone who comes in every few months for a big match? Sure. Lots of stars faded fast in name once they went back full time to the Indies. I guess Japan is an option but I don't see Asuka actually MOVING back to Japan and working full time there again. As a special attraction like Mox in NJPW? Sure, I can see that. But working the Japan schedule like before? Doubt it.

But anyway, she ain't leaving the WWE so this is all fantasy fiction right now.

·
NBA
5,290 Posts
She wouldn't get TV time in AEW. AEW treat their champ who's been holding the title 2nd rate compared to utter shit like the 3 names I mentioned and give her no storylines. Hell, they treat Mox who's one oftheir biggest names and proven draws like 2nd rate compared to their guys. No way they are going to suddenly change their ways to build around a newcomer who's in her 40s.

At this point, if she leaves wwe, fans should simply want her to be put in hot angles and matches with worthy future top names who could get a good rub from working programs with her. Nnoe of that is going to happen in America (they'd have her job each 3 mnoths to undeserving people), so better go back to Japan.

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
She wouldn't get TV time in AEW. AEW treat their champ who's been holding the title 2nd rate compared to utter shit like the 3 names I mentioned and give her no storylines. Now ay they are going to suddenly change to build around a newcomer who's in her 40s.
She'd get more time than Shida simply based on the WWE fame, at least for the first year.

But as I said, I wouldn't want her to be a full timer like Shida. Now if she came along a few times a year like Yuka, that's fine.

Being on national TV is still important on keeping the special attraction level

6341 - 6360 of 6765 Posts