Wrestling Forum banner

6321 - 6340 of 7170 Posts

·
Registered
10,441 Posts
As for drifting off-topic, when people start discussing Asuka's positioning in the company, they then start dissecting the motives of the company, often bypassing Asuka herself in the process. As I said, I'd prefer not to have conversations boil down to qualitative judgments about WWE as a whole, because quite frankly, those discussions, even if I agree with someone's position on the subject, have been talked to death, and belong on other threads. And I'm also not interested in discussing her current tag-team partner separate from how it affects Asuka. But it does directly affect Asuka right now, even taking her off TV as a result so her partner can carry on the current story without her. So for Charlotte fans who can't handle Hugo or llj venting about her usage as it relates to Asuka, that isn't necessarily off-topic right now, and you're just gonna have to live with it, or simply ignore said posts. But, to be sure, we should stick to analyzing the booking rather than engaging in any sort of personal attack on her.
Honestly if we stopped talking about her booking and the WWE in general, this thread would be pretty much just be a fluff thread like most of the fan threads in here. I'm just not the type of guy to post random pics of Asuka and type "YASSS QUEEEN" under it.

Not to shit on other fan threads, but really many of them are pretty lacking in substance.

Over here we may overanalyze every detail and rumor to death but we do at least look at every facet thoroughly.

·
Registered
8,497 Posts
Honestly if we stopped talking about her booking and the WWE in general, this thread would be pretty much just be a fluff thread like most of the fan threads in here. I'm just not the type of guy to post random pics of Asuka and type "YASSS EMPRESS" under it.

Not to shit on other fan threads, but really many of them are pretty lacking in substance.

Over here we may overanalyze every detail and rumor to death but we do at least look at every facet thoroughly.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Honestly if we stopped talking about her booking and the WWE in general, this thread would be pretty much just be a fluff thread like most of the fan threads in here. I'm just not the type of guy to post random pics of Asuka and type "YASSS QUEEEN" under it.

We don't have to stop discussing her booking, and as I said, given that her current booking is tied to Charlotte, story-wise, Charlotte fans who don't like seeing us voice our displeasure with Asuka, the champion, playing second-fiddle to her, are just gonna have to suck it up.

But we don't need to discuss WWE in general on this thread. There are other threads for that on this forum. And we all know where each of us stands on that anyways.

I'm all for staying on-topic as much as possible on this thread. You guys have your DDM and Backlund threads for more random stuff, assuming the mods allow it.

·
Registered
10,441 Posts
We don't have to stop discussing her booking, and as I said, given that her current booking is tied to Charlotte, story-wise, Charlotte fans who don't like seeing us voice our displeasure with Asuka, the champion, playing second-fiddle to her, are just gonna have to suck it up.

But we don't need to discuss WWE in general on this thread. There are other threads for that on this forum. And we all know where each of us stands on that anyways.

I'm all for staying on-topic as much as possible on this thread. You guys have your DDM and Backlund threads for more random stuff, assuming the mods allow it.
We actually haven't talked about Charlotte in a couple of pages now. Most of our last few pages has been bashing Vince or the WWE (I mean they ARE the real targets all the time, Charlotte bashing usually more concerns the idea of "Why her anyway?")

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
We actually haven't talked about Charlotte in a couple of pages now. Most of our last few pages has been bashing Vince or the WWE (I mean they ARE the real targets all the time, Charlotte bashing usually more concerns the idea of "Why her anyway?")
But, again, we talk in too broad strokes sometimes. Anyways, as long as we make a conscious effort to narrow our focus to Asuka and her booking, that's all that matters.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I'm wondering if they're gonna have Asuka and Charlotte hold onto the tag-titles until the Women's Dusty Cup Tag Tournament is over, so they can face, and perhaps put over, the winner.

·
NBA
5,415 Posts
You guys have your DDM and Backlund threads for more random stuff, assuming the mods allow it.
Just take a look at the backlund thread and, even though llj talks about comics stuff over there and I engage him, all of the pages are mostly on topic (you know, videos and comments)

And be nice to Charlotte.

(Try, at least!)

'm wondering if they're gonna have Asuka and Charlotte hold onto the tag-titles until the Women's Dusty Cup Tag Tournament is over, so they can face, and perhaps put over, the winner.
Think you are giving them too much credit. Then again, they won't be able to resist the temptation of featuring chuck on all 3 brands, something that the tag belts allow them to do, so there's that (and it'd would be, imo, the real reason behind them putting the titles on her right now)

As for the finals of the tournament, there are chances of the finals being a Boss N' hug vs Double Royalty rulers or whatever (impro name) match, mainly because ssomething tells me neither Vince nor Trips will be able to resist the temptation of going back to putting the 4 ponies at the forefornt of everything.

Then again, Vince ain't a women's wrestling fan, so maybe he trolls people and puts the titles on the shittiest team possible.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Think you are giving them too much credit. Then again, they won't be able to resist the temptation of featuring chuck on all 3 brands, something that the tag belts allow them to do, so there's that (and it'd would be, imo, the real reason behind them putting the titles on her right now)
I don't think that tournament will start soon enough for the winner to face Asuka and Charlotte, but I have to assume that the winner will at least get a title shot at whomever the current tag champs (Riott Squad by then?) are. I figure Asuka and Charlotte will drop the tag titles no later than Elimination Chamber, possibly even in the structure itself.

·
Registered
10,441 Posts
But, again, we talk in too broad strokes sometimes. Anyways, as long as we make a conscious effort to narrow our focus to Asuka and her booking, that's all that matters.
I hear you, but I don't really hear recommendations as to how to narrow the focus down, as Asuka's booking is dependent on mostly outside factors at this point, Charlotte being a primary one as you noted.

I'm not a fan of "How would you book Asuka then?" discussions because that's just fantasy booking and while that's fun it's just not realistic since we're not Vince. Vince books the product, therefore much of the discussion in here centers around us reading into how Vince thinks, and what his intentions are. You simply can't get away from that discussion.

To be perfectly honest, most of us already know damn well it's a hopeless battle. Asuka will never get to that next level of booking under Vince, which is why most of her WWE run will always be a source of frustration despite the accolades. It kind of makes me a little sad and not a little angry that years from now most people will likely think more about her shitty booking than her matches and accomplishments when she's retired. She deserved a better legacy than that. And yes, I'm already talking in the past tense because I know Vince won't change.

·
NBA
5,415 Posts
I'm not a fan of "How would you book Asuka then?" discussions because that's just fantasy booking and while that's fun it's just not realistic since we're not Vince.
Not to mention, most of the dream booking scenarios, at least on my part, now all pertain her going back to Japan and working most of the promotions as a top heel again. Don't know, but kinda tired and lost hope with the way big American promotions approach women's wrestling presentation and booking wise. Guess you could say Asuka should then go to Impact or something but, don't know, if she's going to go to a smaller promotion, may as well to a women's only and where she'll also be more in control of her booking and not get constricted storyline wise by the nationality thing.

And since that would be non wwe related, people in here would probbly complain about it being "off topic", since theys eem to be allergic to non wwe related discussion.

Reactions: llj

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
To be perfectly honest, most of us already know damn well it's a hopeless battle. Asuka will never get to that next level of booking under Vince, which is why most of her WWE run will always be a source of frustration despite the accolades. It kind of makes me a little sad and not a little angry that years from now most people will likely think more about her shitty booking than her matches and accomplishments when she's retired. She deserved a better legacy than that. And yes, I'm already talking in the past tense because I know Vince won't change.
History has a way of counterbalancing things. I mean, you've compared Asuka's positioning to Kurt Angle in the past, and while he was certainly never the company's #1 guy, most look back pretty fondly on his run. So we can never be sure what the future holds. Right now, certainly a good deal of frustration, but in the future, perhaps, "Most Decorated Foreign-Language Performer in WWE History". The first to hold all championships, get consistent mic time, be in main events of PPVs, work two matches at a major PPV, and so on. We're too in the bubble right now to necessarily see the forest for the trees. And the way they book her certainly isn't specific to her, and her alone. Most of the rest of the roster would kill for everything she's achieved and/or gotten. It doesn't excuse the company not maximizing her creative and commercial potential, but it doesn't hurt to keep things in perspective, sometimes.

·
Registered
10,441 Posts
History has a way of counterbalancing things. I mean, you've compared Asuka's positioning to Kurt Angle in the past, and while he was certainly never the company's #1 guy, most look back pretty fondly on his run. So we can never be sure what the future holds. Right now, certainly a good deal of frustration, but in the future, perhaps, "Most Decorated Foreign-Language Performer in WWE History". The first to hold all championships, get consistent mic time, be in main events of PPVs, work two matches at a major PPV, and so on. We're too in the bubble right now to necessarily see the forest for the trees. And the way they book her certainly isn't specific to her, and her alone. Most of the rest of the roster would kill for everything she's achieved and/or gotten. It doesn't excuse the company not maximizing her creative and commercial potential, but it doesn't hurt to keep things in perspective, sometimes.
I would argue that Kurt was better booked by simply being a man. Like it or not, women's wrestling still isn't treated at the level that men's is. You're either in the title picture or you're not. That's the women's division. For men, there's always things to do even if you don't compete for the title, most matches on PPVs are still predominantly men's matches, with only 2 matches usually for the women, the RAW and SD title matches. And sometimes not even that.

There just isn't the same level of focus devoted to women, and that's why it's become so damn hard for them to get any woman over nowadays. Fans know if you're not in the title picture, you basically don't matter.

The other sticking point is that the WWE has had multiple windows to book Asuka properly for even a 5-6 month stretch and took a pass on all of them. Sure...she's had "moments", but never a significant stretch where you could say the booking was completely behind her. Too much stop start.

6321 - 6340 of 7170 Posts