Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much shit as the American Baddass gimmick gets from many fans, it wasn't a bad gimmick. The issue is that they still called him the Undertaker. It ruined him feel as the Taker. It would have been much better for the character if he had called himself "The American Baddass" Mark Calaway, and used his real name.

When he went back to the Undertaker gimmick following his Buried Alive match with McMahon, he mentioned that he had to "return to a dark place" to fight Kane.

They could have done that same thing when he stopped using the gimmick originally. He could have said he got tired of people questioning his talent and ability, and accusing him of relying on his "powers" to win. He wanted to show that he could kick as much ass as a man as he could as the Undertaker. So he abandoned his urn and all his powers. and took up the name he was born too (Mark Calaway)

·
Registered
664 Posts
re: The "American Badass" was not a bad gimmick

I much prefer Undertaker's 'Big Evil'' ''American Badass'' gimmick over his Deadman gimmick. Though I'll be in the minority with that one lol
Same, screw the 10 minute entrance and the dull promos. I liked the biker gimmick.

·
Registered
13,128 Posts

I enjoyed the gimmick, but was glad he went back to being The Deadman.

I loved the Brothers of Destruction, the motorcycle entrance and really enjoyed his heel turn and run as Undisputed Champ, his ladder match with Hardy is one of my favorite forgotten matches, but the Deadman is one of if not THE GOAT characters in wrestling, Undertaker's a house hold name for crying out loud, any deviation from it was bound to get some hate.

At the very least the tenure as the American Badass gave the fans a breath of fresh air which kept the Deadman gimmick from going stale... the last few years aside :p

·
Banned
9,951 Posts
The American Bad Ass gimmick was amazing. Better than anything today's current main guys( the shield) have ever done

·
Registered
4,704 Posts

It was in 2000 and 2001 but not because of the gimmick, because Taker was at his worst at the time. He was fat and lazy and seemed like he didn't in care. But come 2002 all of that changed, it was actually one of his best and one of my favourite runs. He was just so fucking badass with the attitude, the trash talking promos, the haircut and the epic Big Evil theme :taker

Reactions: DarkLady

·
Banned
4,811 Posts

Big Evil Undertaker was good. Undertaker's heel run from Post-Survivor Series 2001-July 2002 was really well executed.

When Brock defeated him, he should have returned as Big Evil since Brock in essence killed the aura of the Deadman.

·
Registered
17,523 Posts

I don't consider it a gimmick tbh. It's was Undertaker being Mark Caloway.

Still enjoy it though when I watch my tagged classics DVDs, and gave the guy a bit more longevity.

Sent from my 4009X using Tapatalk

·
E:16
6,200 Posts

I didn't like it, but it wasn't bad.

Reactions: DarkLady

·
Angry at refs
3,892 Posts

"The American Badass" may not have been a bad gimmick, but he sure was a bad wrestler.

·
Registered
13,128 Posts

i loved it, it was my first experience of taker as i started watching in December 99
Parallel Universe.. what do you think the Mania match with Batista would've been like with American Badass Taker instead of Deadman Taker?? If memory serves that's your favorite match, or at least on the list lol.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Parallel Universe.. what do you think the Mania match with Batista would've been like with American Badass Taker instead of Deadman Taker?? If memory serves that's your favorite match, or at least on the list lol.
deadman taker fitted the streak better imo and was a better worker by the time he faced batista than he had been at any point in his career

character wise it'd mesh well imo but wouldn't be as good as it was, itd have basically been the brock taker feud from 02-03 with better mic work

it is on the list yeah, definitely the best singles no gimmick match batista had in his career

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts

its a mixed bag for me, undertaker in 2000 was a mess imo, he just looked like shit, by about 2002 / 2003, he had refined it, ditched all the denim clothing and got back into shape, the later version was cool, the early version wasnt imo.

I would be interested to know though whos desire it was to bring back the deadman gimmick, mark had expressed that he didnt have any intention on going back to it, plus he essentially was a hybrid version early on in the return (even wearing the bandanna) which makes me think he was kind of meeting wwe in the middle with it.

undertakers return at wrestlemania 20 is one my all time favorite moments though, just amazing. you watch it back and every movement he made during the entrance was perfectly in time with the music.

·
Butter My Arse
11,763 Posts

It was refreshing at first because it was totally different. He was humanised and kick ass but after the dust had settled after his return, we began to see through the cracks and see what he really was - just a slovenly podgy redneck biker with dodgy dress sense:

When he turned heel it lit a fire under his ass and he preceded to produce some of the best work of his career. It had a limited shelf life though and everybody was clamoring for the return of The Dead Man near the end of 2003. I'm glad he came back in 2004.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts