1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Let's talk about six, baby.
8,440 Posts
Well-earned.

·
Banned
884 Posts
A five star match in my books. Kenny is an absolute legend in the making. Pure talent personified. Stick him in the ring with somebody of Okada's quality, and you're guaranteed an instant classic. This one lived up to everything I hoped for, with the right result.

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,620 Posts
I hope he has a decent reign. I can see him having the AJ Styles type reign of being champion for the G1 only to lose it AT KOPW. They could do many things with this title reign. Looking forward to seeing it.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Shit match for the new champ, but hey it's given not earned so the match doesn't matter. Hope he does well as champ.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Should have had it long ago, but happy for him. Let's see if they book him decent, but over that long reign of terror that Okada had, I fear they wont keep it on him for as long as he deserves.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I hope he has a decent reign. I can see him having the AJ Styles type reign of being champion for the G1 only to lose it AT KOPW. They could do many things with this title reign. Looking forward to seeing it.
I hope they keep it on him until WK at least. He deserves that type of run. This reign might actually be more exciting, tension wise, than 90% of Okada's two year reign because there was really only danger of him losing the title like three times in that span, with it finally happening on the last of those. With Omega, I think the audience might get that "he might ACTUALLY lose!" feeling more often.

Also, they have given Omega a MASSIVE rub, superstar making rub really, with him being the one to end Okada's reign of terror over the roster. Especially considering HOW he did it, two falls in a row clean as a whistle.

I think it would be counterproductive to waste that with a short four month reign with maybe two defenses.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I hope they keep it on him until WK at least. He deserves that type of run. This reign might actually be more exciting, tension wise, than 90% of Okada's two year reign because there was really only danger of him losing the title like three times in that span, with it finally happening on the last of those. With Omega, I think the audience might get that "he might ACTUALLY lose!" feeling more often.

Also, they have given Omega a MASSIVE rub, superstar making rub really, with him being the one to end Okada's reign of terror over the roster. Especially considering HOW he did it, two falls in a row clean as a whistle.

I think it would be counterproductive to waste that with a short four month reign with maybe two defenses.
Nobody remembers how the RAINMAKER SHOCK ended? Okada held the title from February to June 2012, a period of 4 months with 2 defenses and then dropped it back to...Hiroshi Tanahashi. The same guy whose record breaking V11 reign he had just ended.

·
Registered
12,872 Posts
Good for Omega, the reign is well deserved.

I only wonder if it's due to New Japan actually thinking he is the best choice as champion, or as a means of getting him to stay with them long term, or because of their attempts to expand into the U.S. It could very well be all three but I can't deny the thought popped into my head.

Regardless congrats are in order. I hope he has a long and exciting reign.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Nobody remembers how the RAINMAKER SHOCK ended? Okada held the title from February to June 2012, a period of 4 months with 2 defenses and then dropped it back to...Hiroshi Tanahashi. The same guy whose record breaking V11 reign he had just ended.
This is a fair point but I think this is bigger because Okada's reign was two years and obviously the one defense more and he cleared the entire field of top guys in NJPW during it, if you count Tiger Mask W as Ibushi. And he also broke Tanahashi's all time days mark during this reign.

Plus, having Okada lose two WK main events to Tanahashi and having this short reign after winning it probably have contributed to him being less over with the crowd than his push.

They probably put the two year reign together to try to rectify some of those mistakes in building him as the top guy. I think they should learn from it and do differently with Kenny.

·
Registered
24,571 Posts
Who would you like to see as the first challenger?
The 1st defense will most surely be against Cody at the Cow Palace in July.

After that we'll have to wait until the G1 and see which block Omega is in and who else is in the block with him. I've said since Okada beat Naito at WK that Omega would be Okada at Dominion, Naito would beat Omega at KOPW, Okada wins the G1, and Naito finally beats Okada in the main event of WK.

I would want Omega to have a longer reign as well, but that's my prediction.

·
Registered
612 Posts
He has a tremendous reign to follow. Hes like the only one who can do it, so it should be fine, but still... how can you even get close to the reign of Okada?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts