Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Recognize
21,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the new WWE Mag special today and spent a good hour just reading through all the cool little facts inside. It contained 1001 answers to fan submitted questions and its actually a really good read. I came across this little tidbit which I thought was pretty interesting considering how much this place seems to talk about merchandise sales etc. I don't know if this is including the WWF stuff but the best selling WWE shirts of all time are as follows:

Number 1

Triple H "Grey Skulls" T-Shirt

Number 2

John Cena "Chain Gang Batallion" T-Shirt

Number 3

DX "Illustrated" T-Shirt (Without the crutches. I couldn't find a good one without them lol)

Number 4

Stone Cold "Raise Hell" T-Shirt

Number 5

John Cena "Never Give Up" T-Shirt

Thats it. Personally, I thought it would have been the Austin 3:16 or original DX one but like I said, maybe that list doesn't include WWF stuff. Then again, given the vast amount of ways to buy shirts these days, maybe they are the true best selling WWE shirts of all time! This begs the question though, is Cena that replaceable at the top of the WWE merch mountain lol? The Spinner Replica WWE Title Belt and the kids version are also numbers 1 and 4 respectively on the list of best selling merch in the last 5 years (not including t-shirts). Cena, DX, Trips, Austin = Cash cows lol.

·
also known as a BUSTER
11,967 Posts
LOL worked list.

No Hardy Boyz t-shirts, original DX shirts (as worn by Mike Tyson), Hulk Hogan shirts, nWo technically might count too, the Austin 3:16 simple shirt outsold all of that list combined times 100. No Rock shirt...the list is endless.

·
Banned
8,283 Posts
That's it WWE magazine and WWE.com are officially full of shit. Those top 20 lists for greatest tag teams or greatest intercontinental champions they keep coming out with are inacurate as well. I never even heard of that Triple H t shirt. I knew mostly kiddies pick up the WWE magazine and read it so it doesn't surprise me they think they can fool them. I really don't know why they have to lie to us, maybe to make the kiddies believe they are apart of something special in wrestling right now to make them buy those 5 shirts. I'm not even gonna sit here and explain that they are inaccurate because obviously the only people that have the records of what they've sold all time is the WWE and even they don't know for sure.

Do they realize how many people had Austin 3:16, What shirts, Stone Cold U shirts, D Generation X Suck It shirts, and Rock is cooking t shirts back in the day when WWE, WCW, and even ECW for that matter was a part of mainstream culture of that time. Compared to any of those 5 I think they easily have sold more if I had to just take a guess.

Out of those 5 I've only seen the DX one and the Cena one of course because he wears it to the ring every fucking week.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
That list is defo bullshit, Austin sold more merch than anybody ever and the 3:16 top must of been his best seller.

·
Recognize
21,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like I said guys, I'm only posting what it says lol. I have my doubts but I don't see why they would lie. They continually put Austin over as the no.1 guy ever so I see no reason why they wouldn't have his shirt at the top if it was at the top. Then again, maybe the WWF stuff isn't being counted here because I find it a bit weird that Austin 3:16 and the original DX didn't feature at all even if Austin and DX did themselves.

·
also known as a BUSTER
11,967 Posts
The Foley smiley face was another big shifter.

The fact that the Triple H shirt has "On your knees dog" in Latin on it is win but I've never seen anyone in a wrestling crowd wearing it.

You'll still see ECW shirts everywhere though.

-

They're lying, OP, because they use that magazine to market stuff. They probably don't stock 1990s shirts anymore. They just want people to rush out and buy those Triple H shirts.

·
Banned
4,201 Posts
lol that is a complete worked list, most of those t-shirts are fairly new ones.

Austin 3:16 will be by far the biggest selling WWE T-shirt ever.

Dont believe anything you read in WWE magazine, its all a work.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
This better not include WWF stuff, because there is no way that the original nWo, DX and Austin 3:16 shirts aren't on this list.

·
Registered
132 Posts
john cena never give up is amazing shirt

·
Recognize
21,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They're lying, OP, because they use that magazine to market stuff. They probably don't stock 1990s shirts anymore. They just want people to rush out and buy those Triple H shirts.
Two pages over they are advertising the Austin 3:16 shirt, Roddy Piper Shirt and NWO shirts becaust somebody asked if WWE still sell Retro shirts. I really don't think they are going to use a Q&A mag session to advertise a 3 year old HHH shirt. The whole point about the newer WWE shirts is that you can wear them outside the arena because they don't scream wrestling shirt. Maybe that is why it has sold so well. I still think that it is only counting WWE stuff though and not the WWF stuff because without a doubt Austin 3:16 would be a topper. I'm not going to outright dismiss it though just because its from WWE Magazine.

·
Banned
8,283 Posts
When you look at the shirts back in the attitude era when wrestling was at it's peak and you look at the t shirts today there's no doubt the t shirts have gotten a lot better looking and aren't as simple looking as they used to be. Whether I like to admit it or not I've gotta say that no matter how much I loved that time and no matter how much more I liked the wrestlers like Stone Cold and The Rock versus the kiddie beloved WWE-merchandise-tools of today. Now I wouldn't wanna be caught dead in a shirt like the ones out today. They are nice but a little too childish, you know more nice for a little boy to be wearing than a grown man like me.

The fact remains no matter how much WWE loves the shirts their putting out today and no matter how many little fat kids with glasses beg their parents to buy them a John Cena or Triple H "grey skulls" t shirt there's just no way it surpasses the shirts from back in the day as far as what their basing this list on which is the total amount that has been sold. I don't even care how long they made those shirts for back then whether it was 5 years they were manufactured or only 6 months. When you see the astronomical ammount of people at the arenas, in school, and at jobs wearing that it's obvious no matter how good the shirts look today, the shirts back then were the cool thing to wear.

The shirts today are for fat geeky little John Cena kids and even the adults are wearing them too, I'll admit I've seen a few with them on. Still outside of the arena I don't see too many kids with them on but then again I work all day and I'm not around kids. Still the shirts in the attitude era were cool for everybody to be wearing including the NWO shirts outside of the arena or hotline which you bought them at. If I had one of those attitude era shirts I'd probably wear it today. The fact I don't have one means nothing because the only wrestling shirt I own is a E-C-F'n-W t shirt which I bought only recently. On top of that I wasn't as much of a fan and too young to buy shirts as I was a little kid in those days.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Autin 3:16, The NWO shirt, DX shirt all out rank these...although I'm sure John Cena's is ranked on there.

Has to be new school stuff.

I remember People who didn't even watch wrestling wearing NWO, Austin 3:16, DX and Goldberg shirts.

ANY list about the business made by the WWE, or a list made by TNA is subject to being a work, mostly why PWI is so well respected in the industry because their polls and list are from various insiders and the fans and the only ones of merit

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
You know, Ive been to dozens upon dozens of wrestling events and I must say, Ive NEVER seen someone wearing one of those HHH shirts. I know I live in the midwest and it doesnt mean much. I know Cena has a top 5, but i highly doubt that hhh shirt is on there.

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
While Cena is a huge when it comes to merchandise, he's the beneficiary of modern technology where more fans have high speed Internet not to mention WWE's growing international market. I dont think this list is bullshit at all, it's just that it's easier to buy more merchandise.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.