Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 586 Posts

·
Baby It's Violence
8,852 Posts
I've been tracking stuff I watched on my own, but I just got so sidetracked from posting on the 2020 thread. I'll try to keep on top of it more for next year, starting with the two nights of Wrestle Kingdom!

Cheers to another year full of great wrasslin!

Reactions: DammitChrist

·
Currently lying down wearing a blue suit
17,430 Posts
Thank you for creating what’s probably my FAVORITE thread on this forum :drose

I’m looking forward to seeing what (and how many) good matches that 2021 will bring to the table :woo

·
Registered
28,047 Posts
Still gonna try to be a part of this, even though the general dead-feeling that the 2020 one had towards the end was pretty depressing :D The new forum layout sure did wonders, eh?
Sure did. Praise to our VS Overlords!

I do miss the day of our crew talking about great matches and other random nonsense having nothing to do with those great matches.

·
THE NXT CHAMP BAYBAY !
11,613 Posts
2020 was the first time in three years, that I stopped keeping track of match ratings. Honestly, since the pandemic I've had no interest to watch any wrestling outside of Adam Cole matches and a few others here and there. Hopefully a new year may re-invigorate my interest in ratings.

·
17,430 Posts
I give a YES to El Phantasmo vs Hiromu Takahashi at Wrestle Kingdom 15 Night 1.

I gave that pretty good match an 8/10 :D

I give a YES to Dangerous Tekkers vs Guerrillas of Destiny for the IWGP Tag titles at Wrestle Kingdom 15 Night 1.

I gave that great match a 9/10 :mark: :mark:

I give a No, but strongly recommended to Satoshi Kojima vs KENTA at Wrestle Kingdom 15 Night 1.

I gave that good match a 7/10 :eek:

I give a No, but strongly recommended to Great O-Khan vs Hiroshi Tanahashi at Wrestle Kingdom 15 Night 1.

I gave that very good match a 7.5/10 :)

I give a YES to Will Ospreay vs Kazuchika Okada at Wrestle Kingdom 15 Night 1.

I gave that incredible match a 10/10 👏 👏

I give a YES to Tetsuya Naito vs Kota Ibushi for the IWGP Heavyweight title and for the IWGP Intercontinental title at Wrestle Kingdom 15 Night 1.

·
Waiting for Kawato
2,771 Posts
I will be surprised if New Japan tops the Okada/Ospreay match this year. I've found the last few Jan 4th(and 5th) to be relatively disappointments, but that match pretty much ensured this one lived up to the hype, and I've not been crazy about their previous outings. Okada really is just the best, and I like watching Heel Ospreay so much more. The guy is a natural at it. ****3/4

Main event was not in the same league overall I don't think, but the ending (the stiffness of those last two knees and his slightest hesitation before going for the pin, just enough to capture the enormity of the moment without being disrespectful) and post-match stuff was tremendous. Nice finale to their feud. Now never let them wrestle again. ****

·
Registered
28,047 Posts
Yes to the following:

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom Night 1: Guerillas of Destiny vs. Dangerous Tekkers

I enjoyed this match far more than I thought I would. Not that I though it would be bad but I just didn't have any expectations for this combination of talent. But, I was wrong. I enjoyed seeing ZSJ and Taichi playing defacto babyfaces and the double team offense from both sides was done really well. Finish was kind of lame but it doesn't ruin the match.

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom Night 1: Will Ospreay vs. Kazuchika Okada

For a 35 minute Ospreay match, I thought this match was very well paced. It felt very slow and deliberate for me but in a good way. The first 20 minutes was really just both men trading offense before they busted out the big moves like the Suplex on the table and the Tombstone on the apron.

And after that you just saw some great counter wrestling until Okada put it away in the end. Ospreay needed to deliver here, and he did that by still being him but working a slower more dramatic pace.

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom Night 1: Testuya Naito vs. Kota Ibushi

I'm nominating this match although it's a hesitant nomination if I'm being honest. The match was like any other Naito match for the 1st 15-20 minutes with Naito just pounding the neck over and over again. But then they bring in the big bombs with the Hurricanrana off the apron and the Poisened Rana by Naito. That's when the match felt the most exciting but after that it kind of just devolved into a finisher fest. To me it felt like there could have been more to the end of this match than that. But, overall, still a great match.

2020 was the first time in three years, that I stopped keeping track of match ratings. Honestly, since the pandemic I've had no interest to watch any wrestling outside of Adam Cole matches and a few others here and there. Hopefully a new year may re-invigorate my interest in ratings.
Same here. I stopped ranking the matches really right after the pandemic hit. But, I'm trying get back in gear for 2021. And WK is a perfect place to start for that.

·
17,430 Posts
I give a No, but strongly recommended to Drew McIntyre vs Keith Lee for the WWE title on the Raw (1/4/21) episode.

·
Baby It's Violence
8,852 Posts
El Phantasmo vs Hiromu Takahashi - ***3/4
Guerillas of Destiny (Tame Tonga & Tanga Loa) vs Dangerous Tekkers (Zack Sabre Jr. & Taichi) - ***1/2
KENTA vs Satoshi Kojima - ***1/2
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Great-O-Khan - **1/2

YES to Kazuchika Okada vs. Will Ospreay - NJPW: Wrestle Kingdom 15 - Tag 1

This was a hell of a long match, but there was so much about it that I loved. They did truly treat this like a grudge match, as Okada was going right at Will from the start and not letting up. It was nice to see Okada truly on his game after a long 2020 when that was few and far in between, and he both dealt it and took a hell of a lot of punishment, especially some of those strikes and that sick suplex onto the announce table on the outside.

But I was impressed with Ospreay just as much. He came into this and worked as a heel, and a real good one at that. Much of his control early on was grounded, but intense, and he incorporated more heelish stuff like even just stomps to Okada's head as he held his arms, and the huge strikes to the back of Okada's head. And he still kept his impressive athleticism, but he learned to balance that stuff out and incorporate it as the match went on.

They actually paced it wonderfully given the length as well, giving us plenty of great counters as per every main event Okada match, great near falls, and if anything the only negative I can really say is I was surprised to see Okada win in the end. I loved the story here of Osperay wanting to embarrass Okada and humble him at the biggest stage, and I love the near fall with Will's rainmaker leading to a clean rainmaker win by the one and only. A wonderful, awesome match.

****3/4

YES to Kota Ibushi vs Tetsuya Naito - NJPW: Wrestle Kingdom 15 - Tag 1

They sold this match on the dangers of their previous encounters, and they certaintly delivered on that front, with some insane moves like the german right onto Ibushi's head, Ibushi's hurricanrana off the apron, and the reverse poison rana that Naito did. It was wild, and a spectacle at times. They also gradually worked up to their big moves, both seemingly focusing on each other's neck as done in previous encounters.

As much as I enjoyed it though, they have had better matches (their G1 match some years ago was a step above this). I was surprised that Naito kicked out of two kamegoyes, didn't think that was necessary, and it seemed a bit like finisher overkill by the end of things. They also I think went more towards the spectacle than psychology at times, like when Natio was still going 100 miles an hour after the second kamegoye kickout. But the icing on the cake of the match was Ibushi using a V-trigger right at the end of the match, the same move he did as a last ditch effort to beat Okada the year prior, only this year he hit his finish as won. I'm happy as hell, good for Ibushi, and this was still a really great main event, with Ibushi definitely bringing his A game and all the passion he could, as did Naito.

****1/2

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
Great, now that this is a new thread.....

someone please explain the significance of ‘i give a no’ or ‘i give a yes’ before a recommendation

i’ve actually been wondering for years :D

·
17,430 Posts

someone please explain the significance of ‘i give a no’ or ‘i give a yes’ before a recommendation

Anything slightly less than 4 stars (or slightly under 8/10 using my numerical scale) is a "no, but a strong recommendation."

Anything that is AT LEAST 4 stars (or at least an 8/10) is a YES :p

·
Registered
28,047 Posts
Will sneak this in before watching WK Night 2. Yes to:

WWE Monday Night Raw: Keith Lee vs. Drew McIntyre

I mean damn. I didn't think they would actually let these guys go out there and have a kickass match with a clean finish. But they did, and it was awesome. Drew sold and bumped his ass off for Keith and some of of the offense in this match? I mean that nasty Powerbomb on the announce table by Drew and the Top Rope Spanish Fly by Keith. Just so, so good. I hope this is only the beginning for big Keith Lee matches on the main roster.

Oh and Goldberg is back......yay?

·
17,430 Posts
I give a No, but strongly recommended to Suzuki-gun vs One or Eight for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag titles at Wrestle Kingdom Night 2.

I give a YES to Shingo Takagi vs Jeff Cobb for the NEVER Openweight title at Wrestle Kingdom Night 2.

I gave that excellent match a 9.5/10 👏

I give a YES to EVIL vs SANADA at Wrestle Kingdom Night 2.

I gave that pretty damn good match an 8.5/10 :mark:

I give a YES to Taiji Ishimori vs Hiromu Takahashi for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight title at Wrestle Kingdom Night 2.

I give a YES to Kota Ibushi vs Jay White for the IWGP Heavyweight title and for the IWGP Intercontinental title at Wrestle Kingdom Night 2.

·
The NEW
13,467 Posts

We basically used to have a big "master list" of matches that receive YES-votes. It's a basically a cool little data thingy. It kinda got forgotten in 2020 because of the new layout, empty arena rasslin & that. I can try to keep track of it again this year (Y)

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
We basically used to have a big "master list" of matches that receive YES-votes. It's a basically a cool little data thingy. It kinda got forgotten in 2020 because of the new layout, empty arena rasslin & that. I can try to keep track of it again this year (Y)
ahh... so the 'Yes' matches is like the 'can't miss' matches

1 - 20 of 586 Posts