·
CHIEFS KINGDOM!
3,225 Posts
NXT UK TakeOver: Blackpool

No to:

-Mustache Mountain vs Grizzled Young Veterans ***
-Finn Balor vs Jordan Devlin ***
-Eddie Dennis vs Dave Mastiff * 1/2

Will watch the rest later, but was expecting more so far.

·
THE NXT CHAMP BAYBAY !
10,977 Posts
I didn't even bother watching the main event due to how sh*tty I heard it was, not to mention Dunne & Coffey in a 30 + minute match doesn't sound to enticing.

Reactions: TJQ

·
CHIEFS KINGDOM!
3,225 Posts
I didn't even bother watching the main event due to how sh*tty I heard it was, not to mention Dunne & Coffey in a 30 + minute match doesn't sound to enticing.
I'll watch the women's match & the main event tonight at work, when I got time to kill.

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,614 Posts
BJW 02/01

Yes To: Masaya Takahashi vs. Takumi Tsukamoto ****

Excellent, excellent match. So much creativity and craziness in this match; chaotic to the hills. Great escalation of violence, great pacing and some wicked spots. The finishing stretch was nuts. Filled with crazy bump, great drama and great wrestling.

No But Recommend: Daisuke Sekimoto vs. Ryota Hama ***3/4

Really didn't expect to like this as much as I did. So smartly worked with Hama using his size and weight to keep on top, Sekimoto playing the old school face, constantly trying to slam and over power Hama but failing. Great storytelling that ended with a logical finish that made sense. Sekimoto's facials and selling was top notch too. Sekimoto's title reign off to a good start.

·
Le Champion
18,661 Posts
NXT UK Tag Team Championship Tournament Final: Moustache Mountain vs. Grizzled Young Vets (NXT Takeover UK: Blackpool) **** (YES!)

I don't particularly know where any dislike for this match would come from but I thoroughly enjoyed the bulk of it. Some of the early exchanges were a tad awkward and there was a weird reset moment with Drake and Bate but other than that this was RED HOT. I absolutely loved Trent's selling of the left arm late in the match too. He could barely use that damn thing. Bunch of awesome sequences and double teams leading up to the finish. If the FIP segment with Trent had actually gone longer with some teases of the hot tag this would've been even better. Not as good as that amazing MM/UE tag from NXT TV last year but still really damn enjoyable.

Wasn't very interested in the rest of the show. Balor's surprise appearance was super cool and his match was solid but pretty much instantly forgettable. Dunne/Coffey was wayyyyy too long and had that forced epic feel that I wasn't really into. When WALTER gets that belt though... WATCH OUT. :mark:

·
Pico pal q lee
3,111 Posts
BJW 02/01

Yes To: Masaya Takahashi vs. Takumi Tsukamoto ****

Excellent, excellent match. So much creativity and craziness in this match; chaotic to the hills. Great escalation of violence, great pacing and some wicked spots. The finishing stretch was nuts. Filled with crazy bump, great drama and great wrestling.

No But Recommend: Daisuke Sekimoto vs. Ryota Hama ***3/4

Really didn't expect to like this as much as I did. So smartly worked with Hama using his size and weight to keep on top, Sekimoto playing the old school face, constantly trying to slam and over power Hama but failing. Great storytelling that ended with a logical finish that made sense. Sekimoto's facials and selling was top notch too. Sekimoto's title reign off to a good start.
I need a link, like, yesterday

·
CHIEFS KINGDOM!
3,225 Posts
NXT UK TakeOver: Blackpool

No to:

-Toni Storm vs Rhea Ripley *** 3/4 (Best match of the card by far imo, both women were very good. I thought Storm was as good if not better than Ripley, I really want to go 4 stars but it's not a 4 star match. Highly recommended though, and I don't like women's wrestling.)

-Pete Dunne vs Joe Coffey * 1/4 (A discombobulated mess from start to finish, way to long with a shity abrupt ending capping off this disappointing match, There were 5 good minutes in there somewhere, but I'll never watch it again to be more specific.)

·
Pico pal q lee
3,111 Posts
NO but recommended

Yuji Okabayashi, Ryuichi Kawakami & Kazumi Kikuta vs Hideki Suzuki, Takuya Nomura & Yoshihisa Uto - BJW 1/2/19

First show of the year and we already have a good ol' sub 13 minutes 6 man tag that will make you go
this was mostly Okabayashi being a fucking beast and having dope exchanges with Suzuki and Nomura, which is exactly what you want to see. For some reason, Abby Jr. has taken a "mentorship" role for Moon Vulcan (Suzuki and Uto) which is hilarious because those two are now using chairs and low blows - they also did it on the 12/30 show - and you can tell they have no clue how to actually pull it off, just pure fuckery. I died at Yuji beating the fuck out of Nomura outside the ring and then chopping Abe to death when he tried to save his buddy, my man Yuji was not fucking around this night :lol

HELL YES to

Daisuke Sekimoto vs Ryota Hama - BJW Strong Heavyweight title 1/2/19

Coming into the match, Hama has beaten Sekimoto and Okabayashi with the Ookido press (just a simple splash) so Daisuke and Korakuen know he has to avoid that shit like his life depended on it. I love how Sekimoto sells the big moment from the get go, he makes you feel like he's gonna have his work cut out for him, and indeed it is. It's basically 15 minutes of "how the fuck is Daisuke gonna pull this one off", with Hama doing a great job as the big fat ball of lard that can't be moved. There's a couple of incredible nearfalls that had Korakuen going insane, and the last few minutes with the whole place rallying behind the champ was just the cherry on top. Loved this match, legit MOTYC.

·
Le Champion
18,661 Posts
NO But Recommended

Villain Enterprises vs. Silas Young & The Briscoes (ROH Honor Reigns Supreme) *** 3/4 (PCO is NOT FUCKING HUMAN. :mark: That man takes some absolutely nutty fucking bumps. This match is a blast. Watch it and be entertained by the chaos and chop battles.)

ROH World Championship: Jay Lethal (c) vs. Dalton Castle (ROH Honor Reigns Supreme) *** 3/4 (Man this was fantastic but I wanted more time! :p Started off way faster than you'd expect from a World Title match and then settled into Lethal working over the ribs & back in great fashion. Finishing stretch was good but it felt like it ended too soon, as rare as that is to say. Very very good match though)

EDIT: Here's a teaser for that 6-man:

·
Anti-Hero
9,798 Posts
Saw PCO vs Hannibal in a hardcore match for a GNW show. Dude's a fucking mad man. Glad to see him reinvent himself and find new relevance.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
WWE making this reaction towards Joe Coffey. That's a shame. Still love him, even if that match was structured to be messy. The Dunne formula is running out of steam, if you ask me.

Wasn't gaga for Grizzled Young Vets vs Mustache Mountain, but I liked it enough. Highlight of Takeover was Mastiff vs Dennis. Making me care about a WWE gimmick match with loads of good power bits, kudos to them.

·
THE EXTREME HORSEMEN
5,978 Posts
Grizzled Young Vets vs Moustache Mountain ****
Fantastic opener! Bate is a B I G S T R O N G B O Y. Seven is an awesome face in peril, just makes himself SO sympathetic. Drake is solid as hell like always, and Zack Gibson :banderas
I love that man, and I will NEVER take my shoes off.

Finn Balor vs THE IMPORT KILLER Jordan Devlin. ***1/2
"Fuck Yeah, Finn" is something I haven't said before, but when he replaced Banks, that was my reaction. Really fun student vs teacher match. I wish Jordan had won, but it wasn't meant to be. Still, really fun match.

Massive NO for Storm vs Ripley. I have no clue why everyone loves Toni when she doesn't do anything that makes her truly worth this praise. She's decent at best, and does nothing for me. Ripley is normally great, but she had an off night. Really hope Jazzy or KLR knocks Toni's block off asap.

Also, a no for Pete Dunn vs Joe Coffey. Hayley's right in saying this was all over the place throughout. Just felt like both guys had WAY too many ideas and wanted to make this an "epic', and instead we got a really overlong match that made both guys look bad.

I did laugh at WALTER murdering Joe with DAS BOOT, but I feel bad for him because he's good at his job, he just had a bad night.

·
Registered
170 Posts
NXT UK Takeover: Blackpool
Moustache Mountain vs Gibson and Drake ***3/4 (Was that Burning Hammer necessary?) - No but recommended
Bálor vs Devlin ***1/4
Mastiff vs Dennis **
Storm vs Ripley **3/4
Dunne vs Coffey ***3/4

ZERO-1 Happy New Year
Hino vs Otani - What a war ***1/2 - NO
Fuminori Abe & Ikuto Hidaka vs Hagane Shinnou & SUGI - Zero-1's lightheavyweights really impressed me ***3/4
Tanaka & Sugawara vs Taru & Vice - Solid hardcore tag match with good story inside ***1/4
Sekimoto vs Sato - It wasn't bad but I feel that this is very forgettable bout **1/2

Reactions: DammitChrist

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Massive NO for Storm vs Ripley. I have no clue why everyone loves Toni when she doesn't do anything that makes her truly worth this praise. She's decent at best, and does nothing for me. Ripley is normally great, but she had an off night. Really hope Jazzy or KLR knocks Toni's block off asap.
(Y)

Truly can not stand Toni Storm. I wasn't expecting much from this match because of that, but I really like Ripley, shame such a big match for her really amounted to nothing.

Glad to see the other two women show up. Was wondering why Kay Lee Ray hasn't been used yet.

·
CHIEFS KINGDOM!
3,225 Posts
Grizzled Young Vets vs Moustache Mountain ****
Fantastic opener! Bate is a B I G S T R O N G B O Y. Seven is an awesome face in peril, just makes himself SO sympathetic. Drake is solid as hell like always, and Zack Gibson :banderas
I love that man, and I will NEVER take my shoes off.

Finn Balor vs THE IMPORT KILLER Jordan Devlin. ***1/2
"Fuck Yeah, Finn" is something I haven't said before, but when he replaced Banks, that was my reaction. Really fun student vs teacher match. I wish Jordan had won, but it wasn't meant to be. Still, really fun match.

Also, a no for Pete Dunn vs Joe Coffey. Hayley's right in saying this was all over the place throughout. Just felt like both guys had WAY too many ideas and wanted to make this an "epic', and instead we got a really overlong match that made both guys look bad.

I did laugh at WALTER murdering Joe with DAS BOOT, but I feel bad for him because he's good at his job, he just had a bad night.
You didn't like that women's match, I don't like or normally watch women's wrestling, but I really enjoyed that match. I thought both girls were really good, and to me I think Storm gets the praise she does because dare I say she has "it." At least a little bit of "it."

I also really like Bate, Seven & Gibson (especially Gibson as he kind of reminds me of McGuinness) it was a good match for sure, but I can't all that one a MOTY contender. No match on the show was imo.

·
THE EXTREME HORSEMEN
5,978 Posts
(Y)

Truly can not stand Toni Storm. I wasn't expecting much from this match because of that, but I really like Ripley, shame such a big match for her really amounted to nothing.

Glad to see the other two women show up. Was wondering why Kay Lee Ray hasn't been used yet.
I think Kay Lee still has WOS house show dates, and that's why. Guess now that it's dead, HHH is cool with using her. Which is more than fine with me :cozy

Yeah, hopefully Ripley can go back to the states, and add a new wrinkle to that division. Her standing up to Shayna or the other 4HW could be loads of fun. Or she could bully IO and Sane, and that would be cool as well.

·
Baby It's Violence
7,121 Posts
This making me feel like the only one who generally enjoyed almost the entire UK show. I pretty much liked everything on it to some degree, save for the last 5-7 minutes of the main event.

NO But Recommended

Villain Enterprises vs. Silas Young & The Briscoes (ROH Honor Reigns Supreme) *** 3/4 (PCO is NOT FUCKING HUMAN. :mark: That man takes some absolutely nutty fucking bumps. This match is a blast. Watch it and be entertained by the chaos and chop battles.)
So what you're saying is, I should 100% watch this for PCO :becky2

(Y)

I generally like Storm, but I think she just did a pretty meh job of working as the babyface in peril. I don't remember her working in that role well prior to this to begin with.

Ripley though is gonna be a star, especially since she's already improving a ton and is just 22.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
I think Kay Lee still has WOS house show dates, and that's why. Guess now that it's dead, HHH is cool with using her. Which is more than fine with me :cozy

Yeah, hopefully Ripley can go back to the states, and add a new wrinkle to that division. Her standing up to Shayna or the other 4HW could be loads of fun. Or she could bully IO and Sane, and that would be cool as well.
I know the stuff with ICW clearly keeps her relevant on their massive radar, but when she popped up for ROH last year - along with Viper - it really struck me as a surprise that they didn't lock either one down. I'm more open to women coming in to beef up WWE's divisions than men, kind of for obvious reasons, so if this means more limelight for her, all the better.

I say keep Ripley a full blown heel like she's been since returning to TV. She's got it down and it's working. Not to say she couldn't go toe to toe with Baszler in a rough house contra legit fighter type match, but most signs point to usually keeping the dynamics at specific odds. Now I just want to see this match. Baszler vs the world please.

I generally like Storm, but I think she just did a pretty meh job of working as the babyface in peril. I don't remember her working in that role well prior to this to begin with.

Ripley though is gonna be a star, especially since she's already improving a ton and is just 22.
I'd consider it general tacked on WWE narrative. That and I can moan about her selling, lack there of, with the back, but despite me and how I feel, if the match was alienating fans of her's too? Then that's a bit of a misfire all around.

Ripley following this is gonna be something to see. WWE clearly likes her, so here's hoping more of the early success keeps coming her way.

161 - 180 of 1775 Posts