Wrestling Forum banner

101 - 120 of 1775 Posts

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,614 Posts

·
THE NXT CHAMP BAYBAY !
10,977 Posts
Yaffa: Over/under on Marky nominating Ethan Carter the THIRD vs Adam Cole on the MOTY thread?

Me: It'll be at least ***3/4, strong chance he nominates it.
I love that I'm such a conversation piece to you both

So Marky YES'd the Adam Cole vs EC3 match. :hmm:Maybe I should watch it........
I'd definitely say check it out bud.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It is ironic that most here praise Kento in many ways (something that deserves it), but criticize Okada and Omega for aspects of selling, which both are better than him.

·
CHIEFS KINGDOM!
3,225 Posts
Adam Cole v. EC3, NXT TV 01/09/2019 - **** (YES !)

On a second watch I actually really enjoyed this, in around the 8 minutes they were given they told a really good story in Cole working EC3's arm & neck. I love that Cole is expanding his moveset, went for the basement dropkick, backstabber & an armbar in this match. EC3 worked really well here too as he always looks his best when he can utilize his power against smaller guys. Cole was the perfect smaller guy for him in this case as Cole bumped around like a madman for him. Overall just a real enjoyable match for me to watch and analyze.

NO to: EC3 vs Adam Cole - NXT - 01.09.2019

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Oh shoot, I got heat on Twitter for hating the match, too? Wonderful news. :cozy

The internet is shaken to its core. Two times in about 12 hours I've been called a shill for New Japan, too. Now where's my paycheck? :vince$

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,614 Posts
DDT BASARA 85 ~ Shuffle ~ 06/01

No But Recommend: Fuminori Abe & Ikuto Hidaka vs. Sparky (Akiyori Takizawa & Ryota Nakatsu) ***3/4

Don't watch a lot of BASARA but when I do, I usually love it so I might have to make it something I watch more often. Smartly worked match with some smart grappling, especially in the beginning, and really great striking. Abe was really good, sold everything Sparky did to him excellently. His strike exchange with Takizawa was awesome. Nakatsu impressed me with everything he did - just really good at the little things that make a match great. And Ikuto Hidaka is Ikuto Hidaka (which is a good thing). Very good match, well worth watching if you're looking for something different.

@Yeah1993 ; Here is another Abe match to put on your list. (Y)

·
THE NXT CHAMP BAYBAY !
10,977 Posts

·
Custom User Title
15,224 Posts

The results don't lie.

I'll check out that tag @MC;, thanks.

YES to:

Jericho v. Naito - “Jericho/Naito 2 it’s not gonna be a classic, it’s gonna be a war.” Even wrestlers think a classic is defined by the type of match and not by quality. Oh well, I guess. Naito bumping hard for Jericho but then throwing him around right after taking the Walls is why I’m so flip-floppy on him but this was really good and maybe my favourite performance from Jericho since 2009 or 2010. I really liked every heelish moment he had - ringing the bell and trying to force the ref to raise his hand, taunting Naito’s poses, yelling at Chono on commentary. My favourite thing he did was bring in the kendo stick though, because it was a good and easy equaliser for when they wanted to change control moments or just cement the one they were already doing. Naito’s face during the initial choke with the stick was fantastic, and Jericho double-stomping the stick after resting it on Natio’s neck was fucking tremendous and got a rise out of me. If that can be done safely I would welcome it being a regular spot in No DQ matches. The STICK (caps because it’s so good now) being how Naito escapes a Walls was great too. I wasn’t actually sure if I was going to add this but Naito eyeing the belt and then swinging it at Jericho’s face for the finish sealed the deal. My first add is a Chris Jericho match in NJPW against a guy who I’m not usually high on. For the second year in a row.

Omega v. Tanahashi – This destroys every NJ main event I saw from last year. I thought this had a pretty brilliant performance from Omega, not necessarily in execution of moves or anything, just by how he got Tana over while also treating him a bit like a has-been chump. Simple but excellent story-telling & character work in the old guard ace not knowing how to handle this new fancy IWGP champ, and for fuck’s sake a NJPW main event that to me JUSTIFIED a 40 minute run-time. Omega at the beginning was awesome as hell preying over Tana and having an answer for all his shit, and then being amused at himself dumping Tana outside onto table like he was throwing out garbage. He got overconfident a couple times too and that kind of really came about during his big Terminator dive when he hits mostly ground. He was crawling after that, like his overconfidence had really cost him. Tana getting up from some moves is the kind of thing I usually hate but I thought way more positively of it here, largely because similar to Ibushi/Ishii, I bought Tana as being in extreme pain and discomfort and having to force through that. Instead of just getting up and yelling like it’s Dragon Ball Z and there’s no effect. There were a couple times where he just collapsed over anyway too, overall I thought he did a really really good job of just not staying down in spite of suffering. There was a bit late in the match where an exhausted and irritated Omega dripping with sweat just starts choking Tana, likely because of that, and my reaction was “hahah god he’s pissed now.” I’m actually surprised Omega caught some flack not selling his leg, because I’m a stickler for that kind of thing and noticed basically no issue at all. Unless my memory is failing me, he was selling SEVERAL minutes after the most recent hit to it, which at that point was I think Tana moving out of the way and Omega’s V-trigger colliding with the turnbuckle. He continued to sell it even when doing mundane shit like avoiding the splash onto the table, and went so far as to hop up the ropes with one leg. He used the leg as offense, sure, but again I’d say 90% of that came many minutes after Tana had even gotten an opportunity to touch it and he still sold it after the move connected (or missed). You might be able to convince me that Tana didn’t go for it enough, but it looked to me that more-so than the leg being a central focus, I think Omega was selling it just to give the audience indication that Tana could fire at it whenever he got the chance. And he *barely* had a chance because Omega was so on top of him. The leg even prevented Omega from going for the cover soon enough to get the win off of the top rope dragon suplex 35 minutes in. So, while this might be pushing it, I don’t think it’s really impossible to say it cost him the entire title run. I loved a couple of Tana’s attacks on the leg, by the way, and it won’t be a surprise to say the highlight is the dragon screw while Omega was up on the ropes. I might call this a legit great match because of how good the structure and story-telling was, and if I say it’s a top 10 of 2019 next January, I won’t be too surprised.

·
CHIEFS KINGDOM!
3,225 Posts

The results don't lie.

I'll check out that tag @MC;, thanks.

YES to:

Jericho v. Naito - “Jericho/Naito 2 it’s not gonna be a classic, it’s gonna be a war.” Even wrestlers think a classic is defined by the type of match and not by quality. Oh well, I guess. Naito bumping hard for Jericho but then throwing him around right after taking the Walls is why I’m so flip-floppy on him but this was really good and maybe my favourite performance from Jericho since 2009 or 2010. I really liked every heelish moment he had - ringing the bell and trying to force the ref to raise his hand, taunting Naito’s poses, yelling at Chono on commentary. My favourite thing he did was bring in the kendo stick though, because it was a good and easy equaliser for when they wanted to change control moments or just cement the one they were already doing. Naito’s face during the initial choke with the stick was fantastic, and Jericho double-stomping the stick after resting it on Natio’s neck was fucking tremendous and got a rise out of me. If that can be done safely I would welcome it being a regular spot in No DQ matches. The STICK (caps because it’s so good now) being how Naito escapes a Walls was great too. I wasn’t actually sure if I was going to add this but Naito eyeing the belt and then swinging it at Jericho’s face for the finish sealed the deal. My first add is a Chris Jericho match in NJPW against a guy who I’m not usually high on. For the second year in a row.

Omega v. Tanahashi – This destroys every NJ main event I saw from last year. I thought this had a pretty brilliant performance from Omega, not necessarily in execution of moves or anything, just by how he got Tana over while also treating him a bit like a has-been chump. Simple but excellent story-telling & character work in the old guard ace not knowing how to handle this new fancy IWGP champ, and for fuck’s sake a NJPW main event that to me JUSTIFIED a 40 minute run-time. Omega at the beginning was awesome as hell preying over Tana and having an answer for all his shit, and then being amused at himself dumping Tana outside onto table like he was throwing out garbage. He got overconfident a couple times too and that kind of really came about during his big Terminator dive when he hits mostly ground. He was crawling after that, like his overconfidence had really cost him. Tana getting up from some moves is the kind of thing I usually hate but I thought way more positively of it here, largely because similar to Ibushi/Ishii, I bought Tana as being in extreme pain and discomfort and having to force through that. Instead of just getting up and yelling like it’s Dragon Ball Z and there’s no effect. There were a couple times where he just collapsed over anyway too, overall I thought he did a really really good job of just not staying down in spite of suffering. There was a bit late in the match where an exhausted and irritated Omega dripping with sweat just starts choking Tana, likely because of that, and my reaction was “hahah god he’s pissed now.” I’m actually surprised Omega caught some flack not selling his leg, because I’m a stickler for that kind of thing and noticed basically no issue at all. Unless my memory is failing me, he was selling SEVERAL minutes after the most recent hit to it, which at that point was I think Tana moving out of the way and Omega’s V-trigger colliding with the turnbuckle. He continued to sell it even when doing mundane shit like avoiding the splash onto the table, and went so far as to hop up the ropes with one leg. He used the leg as offense, sure, but again I’d say 90% of that came many minutes after Tana had even gotten an opportunity to touch it and he still sold it after the move connected (or missed). You might be able to convince me that Tana didn’t go for it enough, but it looked to me that more-so than the leg being a central focus, I think Omega was selling it just to give the audience indication that Tana could fire at it whenever he got the chance. And he *barely* had a chance because Omega was so on top of him. The leg even prevented Omega from going for the cover soon enough to get the win off of the top rope dragon suplex 35 minutes in. So, while this might be pushing it, I don’t think it’s really impossible to say it cost him the entire title run. I loved a couple of Tana’s attacks on the leg, by the way, and it won’t be a surprise to say the highlight is the dragon screw while Omega was up on the ropes. I might call this a legit great match because of how good the structure and story-telling was, and if I say it’s a top 10 of 2019 next January, I won’t be too surprised.
See, even Adam Cole knows he fucking sucks. I fucking knew it :piper1

·
THE NXT CHAMP BAYBAY !
10,977 Posts
101 - 120 of 1775 Posts