Wrestling Forum banner

1161 - 1180 of 1775 Posts

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Sami Callihan vs Tessa Blanchard is a solid **** 1/2 from me. Good match, great ending.

Reactions: TheDraw

·
Le Champion
18,735 Posts
Great atmosphere to start the G1.

YES! (****) for Ospreay vs. Archer. This started off with such a bang and gave us some seriously incredible moments. I think they had a couple too many nearfalls but one hell of a way to start the tournament for sure.

YES!! (**** 1/4) for ZSJ vs. SANADA. This was absolutely wonderful. Just beautiful wrestling from bell to bell with a real sense of struggle behind every counter and transition. The crowd really appreciated it as well.

KENTA/Ibushi did nothing for me and Tana/Okada was whatever. Seen it too many times I think at this point.

·
The NEW
13,420 Posts
Ospreay vs. Archer - ***1/4

This starts off with beautiful energy & explosiveness, as Ospreay is all FIRED UP & goes for the kill right away, but eventually Archer of course catches him & cements control in kick-ass fashion w/ the chokeslam through the table. Then it's pretty much Archer on on top, completely dominating Ospreay with his awesome power moves. It was a winning dynamic in their Cup match earlier in the year, and it's a winning dynamic here as well. Ospreay is pretty great at getting rag dolled, and Archer was rock solid doing the said rag dolling. That POUNCE spot was awesome. I do think the match loses some of its energy & urgency as it goes - it does drag a bit by the end, but not too much for it to not be a good one overall. On par w/ that Cup match.

Tanahashi vs. Okada - ***1/2

Aye, they pretty much played the hits here, and it resulted in their best G1 meeting probably since the original one from 2013. Very nice urgency right from the start, and it never really lets up. Some VERY brief legwork by Tana, which doesn't get sold, but I can forgive that since Tana wasn't very focused on the attack, thankfully. Very good bombfest fun. With it being in the US, it had a nice different vibe to it too.

SANADA vs. ZSJ - ***3/4

I really like the dynamic between SANADA & Zack - in their little rivalry, they've made this awesome story of SANADA very much matching Zack's submissions & counters, and sometimes even besting him. That's what the match was all about here, and it was really damn good. Kind of a "technical wrestling" spotfest in many ways, but they also got some pretty focused gameplans going - Zack started to target the arm after the best-bit-of-the-match in the Paradise Lock attempt into a pretty vicious looking Armbar spot. SANADA also made sure to do some damage to Zack's neck throughout. Both guys sell those in subtle lil' moments. It's very charming stuff all around. ZSJ vs. SANADA is definitely a quality pairing.

KENTA vs. Ibushi - **** - YES!

Anyone expecting a crazy fast paced sprint hasn't been watching KENTA in the past 10 years. To quote one of my favorite songs from 2018 - "it ain't 2009 no more". Overall KENTA didn't look much different at all than as Hideo Itami, but what I thought made a huge difference was how brutal his kicks were. I remember watching his match vs. Mustafa Ali & thinking how ridiculous Ali's HBK at SummerSlam 05 bumping & selling looked when all of Hideo's offense looked light as a feather. Here I definitely didn't have to worry about that though. KENTA kicked the shit out of Ibushi with disgustingly brutal sounding & looking kicks. Ibushi sure got the shit beaten out of him overall in the match, and he was extremely compelling taking that beating; selling & bumping fantastically all the way through. He made all of KENTA's strikes look like true shotgun shots. Oh & I definitely loved the vintage KENTA troll spot where he pulls down his knee pad, only for him to kick Ibushi in the side of his head. Always a joy to see that. They even made the generic puro forearm trading pretty amazing, with their facial expressions (especially Ibushi's) adding a ton. Great match! Terrific showcase for KENTA's style of wrestling in his G1 debut.

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,620 Posts
NJPW G1 Climax 29 06/07

No But Recommend all of these:

Kazuchika Okada vs Hiroshi Tanahashi ****
Greatest Hits match but the star power carried it to a great match

Kota Ibushi vs KENTA ***3/4
KENTA had to carry an injury Ibushi but he did a great job. Ibushi made up for it with his selling

SANADA vs Zack Sabre Jr ***1/2
Okay mat wrestling (really unfocused/little struggle) . But there was some great counters and other stuff.

Lance Archer vs Will Ospreay ***1/2
Good bombfest but went too long.

·
THE EXTREME HORSEMEN
5,979 Posts
Ol' Mance Warner vs Sami Callihan ****1/2 (LOSER LEAVES MLW Fusion 62)
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST :banderas An absolute insane violent brawl between my boy Mancer, and the troll doll who might be good again. They beat the absolute snot out of each other, and its just SO much fun to watch. They escalate the brutality so well that it gets harder and harder to watch. Mancer takes the lions share of abuse LIKE WHEN HE HAS HIS FUCKING TONGUE STAPLED TO A BOARD. :andre They have a punch off like the old CZW/IWA days to win my heart. Awesome finishing run with the right man winning :cozy can't go wrong with MLW

·
THE EXTREME HORSEMEN
5,979 Posts
CONTRA vs The Filthy Von Eric's ****(Fusion 63)
I'm including the post match brawl in this rating, because that shit (and the match itself) was NUTTY AS FUCK. This feels like an actual blood feud that has reached uncontrollable levels of hatred, so it finally explodes in a war. Tom and the brothers have some serious babyface fire, while Grimm and Joseph are great heels. Then we have FATU. Good God this man is a star in every sense of the world. The dude just has IT, for the better lack of word. He's a one man wreaking ball throughout as he fucks up everyone in his path, and it feels truly earned when he goes off his feet. The Von Eric's kill Grimm with a DOUBLE IRON CLAW to win :banderas

Post match is when it gets REALLY crazy. They continue kicking the crap out of each other, and the crowd is HOT. Fatu shines again as he beats the shit out of security, refs and agents. HE F5'S A POOR REF THROUGH A TABLE. PLANTING THE SEEDS FOR THE FEUD WITH CENA IN A FEW YEARS...(don't crush my dreams, you fuck) Filthy breaks a table and uses a piece as a knife to run them off :mark. He celebrates with his friends.

MLW is the best.

·
THE NXT CHAMP BAYBAY !
11,044 Posts
Impact's Slammiversary:

Brian Cage (c) v. Michael Elgin - **** 1/4

Sami Callihan v. Tessa Blanchard - **** 1/4

G1 Climax 29, Night 1:

Will Ospreay v. Lance Archer - **** 1/4

ZSJ v. SANADA - ****

KENTA v. Kota Ibushi - ****

Kazuchika Okada v. Hiroshi Tanahashi - ****

Reactions: DammitChrist

·
Lets go to the old mill anyway, get some cider!
15,626 Posts
Impact Slammiversary

Tessa Blanchard vs Sami Callihan-****1/4

I wish this could have had another 5-10 minutes as that's really the only flaw for me is that it feels somewhat unfinished. Tessa is such a star and talent and she is showcased so well here against the despicable Callihan.

The match is laid out very smartly with Tessa playing an unreal babyface fighting back. Every move of offense has substance here and truly matters. Sami is so great too, he really doesn't get the credit he deserves as a true throwback heel to the days of old.

Like I said I wish they could have had more time to build the climax but this was fantastic and delivered.

·
Registered
24,578 Posts
Yes to:

Impact Slammiversary: Michael Elgin vs. Brian Cage

Two big, athletic big guys just throwing bombs at each other. Super fun to watch.

Impact Slammiversary: Tessa Blanchard vs. Sami Callihan

There are no 2 people better suited for that role than Tessa and Sami. Sami is so vile and disgusting and so easily hateable, but yet can sell an ass kicking from Tessa. And speaking of selling, Tessa she did it amazingly here. She sold how hard this match was for her. Every move she took and even delivered took a toll on her but she kept fighting.

Hot match. Hot crowd. Great aftermath. Great match.

·
THE EXTREME HORSEMEN
5,979 Posts
MLW KING OF COLOSSEUM

Alexzander Hammerstone vs KOTO Brazil ***1/4

Super fun David vs Goliath match. Hammerstone still kinda blows for the most part, but KOTO rules and he helps make the big oaf look like a killer. Brazil dies on everything, and has a manic comeback that makes you believe he can do it, which will always win my heart. Sadly, the big fella wins. Still, this was great.

Rey Horus vs Myron Reed ***1/2

Really awesome WCW CW type of match. Reed is really good shithead you want to see get his ass kicked, and Rey is a great face. They escalate things really well and the finishing run is super fun.

Filthy Tom Lawlor (c) vs Jacob Fatu w/Josef Samael ****1/2 (MWL WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP)
This feels HUGE and rightly so. Tom is now 100% the ACE of MLW defending his crown his title against the evil invader who wants to take everything from him, and might be the one man the ACE can't beat. It's a beautiful story, and this is wonderful match. Fatu takes the fight right to him and unloads a gross beating to Tom's back. Filthy takes some wild bumps, and Fatu just gets better and better. There's a tiny moment I adored when they're fighting on the outside and Fatu is SO focused on killing Filthy that he forgets about the countout, so Josef has to scream at him to get back in the ring. It's the perfect way to sell Fatu as a savage, and to get over how CONTRA works as one big unit. Tom's attempted comebacks rule as he gets closer and closer to knocking the big man off his feet, and when he does it, it feels massive. He also continually goes for the choke because its his best shot, but Fatu is seemingly too big for it to work, so he has to work harder to wear him down. At one point Tom goes for a cutter, AND FATU BLOCKS IT BY DOING A FUCKING HANDSTAND, HE PUNCHES TOM AND HITS A SPRINGBOARD MOONSAULT. JESUS CHRIST. Fatu misses the Moonsault for the first time, which is a great way to show how Tom is above everyone else he has faced. Filthy has a full comeback and it rocks, he just has that great babyface fire to everything he does. He starts to overwhelm the big man with huge forearms and kicks, and it looks like he's going to do it. He tries for the choke again BUT FATU THROWS HIM OFF AND KILLS HIM WITH A MOTHERFUCKER OF A SUPERKICK, AND TOM IS STUNNED. HE GETS DROPPED WITH THE DISGUSTING POP UP SAMOAN DROP THAT FURTHER WREAKS HIS BACK. AND FATU HITS THE DOUBLE MOONSAULT 1...2.....3. NEW CHAMPION. :fuckyeah :mj2

Shocking result considering how new Fatu is to the company, but considering how amazing he is, and how over he's become (not to mention the rumours of WWE and AEW coming after him) Its a great idea. Nothing is absolute in wrestling, and moments like these are why I watch it, so I'm all for this. It solidifies Fatu as the top heel, and sells CONTRA as the top heel faction. It makes Filthy even more beloved and gives him a chance to chase the belt again which is what turned him face originally, so that's going to rule. Plus it sets up a possible rematch at the PPV in November, which is the best place to do it with a new eyes on the company. I can't find a negative in this, nor would I want to. MLW's ability to cash in on what the fans want is why I love them so much. :proud MLW and wrestling rule.

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,620 Posts
MLW KINGS OF COLOSSEUM 06/07

Yes To: Jacob Fatu vs 'Filthy' Tom Lawlor ****1/4

Short and brisk (ish) but that's exactly what it needs. Great early brawling section with Fatu launching Lawlor into the guardrails, with Lawlor taking some hard bumps. Then because he is hurt, Lawlor has to go for the finihs early, constantly jumping on Fatu's back trying to lock on the rear naked choke but Fatu's size allows him to throw Lawlor off. Some nutty counters like a handstand from Fatu to block the cutter!!! Definitive finish too, which I always love. Great match.

Slammiversary XVII 07/07

Yes To: Sami Callihan vs. Tessa Blanchard ****1/4

Sami isn't everyone's cup of tea but he is mine and I thought he was absolutely terrific in this match bell-to-bell. His body language to his facial expressions screamed evil and aggression and it fit the early tone perfectly. I loved the way his offence changed and adapted once he started to respect Tessa abilities and she started to make some great comebacks. The way Tessa sold for Sami and her overall underdog performance was great. The post match angle was great too. Love Sami, love Tessa. Great main event.

·
The NEW
13,420 Posts
Tessa vs. Callihan - ***3/4

They naturally go with Callihan doing most of the work on top, while Tessa fights from underneath. It proves to be a winning dynamic with both rocking their roles pretty greatly the whole way through - Callihan is an awesome evil & brutal sleazebag while Tessa rules with her fiery & intense babyface work. The way the thing progresses with Sami at first being real cocky about his brutalization, to ultimately being shocked & low-key desperate about not being able to put Tessa away, is great stuff. The piledriver kickout perfectly showed that progression, and was probably my favorite moment of the entire match. Very, very good stuff overall.

And one of the biggest surprises of the year...

"Big" "Mike" Michael El"G1"n vs. Brian Cage - ***3/4

I never in a million years would've thought that I'd end up LOVING a match between these two, but here we are. This kicked so much ass. The beginning perfectly sets up the pace for what's about to come, as they collide in explosive fashion right from the get go. From that moment on, it's just borderline balls-to-the-walls bombfest action with the two, especially Big Mike, brutalizing one another in very compelling fashion. The length was just about perfect for the way they went with it, too. An absolutely awesome match with a big A.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Tessa vs. Callihan - ***3/4

They naturally go with Callihan doing most of the work on top, while Tessa fights from underneath. It proves to be a winning dynamic with both rocking their roles pretty greatly the whole way through - Callihan is an awesome evil & brutal sleazebag while Tessa rules with her fiery & intense babyface work. The way the thing progresses with Sami at first being real cocky about his brutalization, to ultimately being shocked & low-key desperate about not being able to put Tessa away, is great stuff. The piledriver kickout perfectly showed that progression, and was probably my favorite moment of the entire match. Very, very good stuff overall.

And one of the biggest surprises of the year...

"Big" "Mike" Michael El"G1"n vs. Brian Cage - ***3/4

I never in a million years would've thought that I'd end up LOVING a match between these two, but here we are. This kicked so much ass. The beginning perfectly sets up the pace for what's about to come, as they collide in explosive fashion right from the get go. From that moment on, it's just borderline balls-to-the-walls bombfest action with the two, especially Big Mike, brutalizing one another in very compelling fashion. The length was just about perfect for the way they went with it, too. An absolutely awesome match with a big A.

Impact vs Swann was a fun match too but when Swann went to the top rope and Impact did a complete 180 degree turn to get in the correct position.....yeah he should have just commited to being in the wrong position at that point because that kinda took me out of the match.

·
Pico pal q lee
3,112 Posts
NO but recommended

Daisuke Sekimoto & Takuya Nomura vs Yuji Okabayashi & Kazumi Kikuta - BJW 6/30/19

Another worthy preview for the July 21st title match between Yuji and the young gawd. The matchups you think will be dope (Okabayashi vs Takuya & Daisuke) are dope, Kikuta is fine but everytime he's in, the match comes down a notch or two, the good thing is that his participation is minimal for the 2nd half of the match. I think this can be more appreciated if you've seen the other preview tags between Yuji and Takuya - sadly, the Korakuen Hall show were Nomura finally beats Okabayashi in a tag after like 6 straight Ls hasn't surfaced yet , but the three other tags that are out there are also worth checking out -, though the last 4 minutes are undeniably great, with an awesome young star doing everything to take down the monster champ. There's also a sequence were Yuji goes full beast mode that's :mark: he even treated Daisuke like he was nothing.

·
The NEW
13,420 Posts
Impact vs Swann was a fun match too but when Swann went to the top rope and Impact did a complete 180 degree turn to get in the correct position.....yeah he should have just commited to being in the wrong position at that point because that kinda took me out of the match.
Yeah, I definitely enjoyed Swann vs. Impact as well. Really dug Impact's douchebag act all the way through & LOVED the Bravo inclusion. Very strong & solid 3.25 starz from me :cozy Can understand that spot taking you out of the match though, but I personally just kind of shrugged it off.

·
15,626 Posts
Catch up continues

BOTSJ night 8

Sho Tanaka vs Marty Scurll-****1/4

This might be one of the most complete and compelling 12 minute matches I've ever seen. Sho continues to just rise up and the crowd is so behind him here. Marty is his usual self but the pace here was a little different for him. They get a great climax out of the time they are given too, fantastic sprint.

Bandido vs Will Ospreay-*****

So 1 night after a 5* classic with El-P Willy does it again back to back. This match really reminds me of Eddie and Rey from Havoc 97 in its innovative nature and dynamic. Bandido is actually the star here for me and for once somebody outdoes young William. A breathtaking back and forth contest that is hard hitting and feels like a fight. I was pulling hard for Bandido by the finish and so was Korauken, a match everyone should see.

Dragon Lee vs Shingo Takagi-*****

So when I had heard people say night 8 might be the best BOTSJ event of all time I knew it would come down to this match, and my God they somehow delivered after an absolute classic. While not as innovative as the previous match, these 2 just fucking kill each other. For me this is Dragon Lee's best performance I've seen and a great babyface reaction for him as well. The finishing stretch is otherworldly and had me jumping out of my seat literally. Shingo is an animal and probably right next to William as the best pro wrestler on the planet right now.

Both of these matches are just incredible.

·
15,626 Posts
BOTSJ Night 9

Will Ospreay vs Ren Narita-****1/4

One of the best under 10 minute matches I've ever seen. A fantastic sprint where Ospreay gives Narita so much before putting him away. At this point Willy is just pulling 4* matches out of just about anyone. Rens offense was great here though and he has a bright future. Banging match.

Dragon Lee vs Titan-****1/4

Probably one of more underrated matches of the tournament for me. It's big negative being they do go a little over the top with the best friends stuff as these guys are supposed to be killing each other. But technically this is unreal and these guys clearly know each other like the back of their hands.

Rocky Romero vs El Phantasmo-*****

This is the match that to me solidifies this tournament as the best BOTSJ of all time and honestly it's right there with some of the best G1s. To me, this is a very rare kind of match that just had all the right elements. This match is the essence of what makes me a fan of pro wrestling. It had heart and a story that you just cant replicate. Rocky earned that moment and that is undeniable. Elp is a dastardly that you love to hate who is also a really fucking good performer and pro wrestler. Yes this match isnt as technically sound as some of the others in this tourney and it does have the ref bump stuff but to me it only made it better. The crowd was absolutely nuclear for Rocky and the layout of the match only fueled that fire. Some incredible nearfalls down the stretch and sequences that just were beautiful yo watch. In a tournament with 3 or 4 other all time classic matches this isnt the best probably but it's the most important and enduring.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
2019 OTT WrestleRama 3 David Starr vs. WALTER - *****
Great stuff. Story-fucking-telling.

·
Registered
24,578 Posts
Yes to:

NJPW G1 Climax Day 2: Jay White vs. Hirooki Goto

One of the more built up to matches in the G1 with Goto trying to redeem himself and it lead to a fun match. Goto, who I'm usually not the biggest fan of, felt like he evolved here into a more crazed side of himself to win. I hope that he can continue to bring that side out.

Also recommending Shingo vs. Juice from the same match. And impressive opener from the B Block.

1161 - 1180 of 1775 Posts