Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1775 Posts

·
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
5,600 Posts
Kento Miyahara vs KAI Jan 03 - ****1/4

Superb Kento banger to start the year off. Love the opening and the middle with the heel shtick from Kento. Pulls off the arrogance better than so many.

·
The NEW
13,419 Posts
Oh BABY. It didn't take for 2019 to start busting out the BANGERS

Liger & Tiger Mask vs. Ren Narita & Yuya Uemura from the Fanfest gets a YES.

I love me some young lion vs. established wrestlers matches, and this one delivered in SPADES. Right from the get go during introductions when Liger threw his mighty cape at Narita, I knew this was gonna be GOOD. The two have some neat technical exchanges to start the match off - Narita gets some time to shine, but it's mostly Liger, and it's goddamn awesome. Liger still wrestles on the mat with such sense of REALNESS & tightness it's amazing. He just stretches the poor young lad, and after a while of that, Tiger & Uemura get the tags, and fucking TIGER JUST STARTS KICKING THE CRAP OUT OF UEMURA. Uemura has some great young lion-fire & some really well timed I-AM-FIRED-UP-roars, but even though he keeps trying to fight back, TIGER JUST KEEPS ON GODDAMN KICKING & SLAPPING HIM. It's SO great. Uemura gets a little comeback in, but that is shut down pretty quickly as TIGER DELIVERS A GODDAMN DEVASTATING KICK TO THE LIVER. Uemura sells it amazingly, and Tiger delivers another one just for the fun of it before tagging in Liger. Liger comes in & immediately throws Uemura out of the ring so he can start whipping him into the guardrail. It looks brutal as hell & Uemura's selling is really great, once again. When they're back inside the ring, Uemura gets to make the hot tag to Narita - Narita runs wild for a sec, and then puts Liger on the young lion classic, the Boston Crab. Liger's selling of this is so outstanding - he gave Narita so much and made it look like he barely survived by reaching the ropes. Bless that man. Liger then tags to Tiger, still selling his back like the legend he is, and Tiger comes & starts SLAPPING the taste out of Narita's mouth. Narita makes the tag to Uemura, who looks pretty rough during the hot tag, but those elbows he delivered to grounded Tiger Mask were AWESOME. The youngsters run wild on the grumpy old veterans for a while, but then Tiger catches Uemura w/ a leglock, and it looks like he is really trying to rip his leg off, aka exactly how submission holds should look like! Tiger kicks the soul out of Uemura some more, and there's some great facial expressions by him as it goes on; in particular the look he had on his face after Uemura kicked out of his big headkick was amazing - "this piece of shit youngster just kicked out of THAT? What the fuck?" & then he goes & delivers the Tiger Driver for the pinfall victory, and his facial expression was so great as he does that; he's like "can't believe this goddamn teenager made me use THIS to finish him". If you love GRUMPY OLD MEN, and I mean who doesn't, this is a must watch. Liger & Tiger for tag champs 2k19.

SO GOOD. :banderas Gonna be hard for anything tomorrow to top it.

@Donnie YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR TASK IS.

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,614 Posts
Good shout, @NastyYaffa ;

No but recommended: Jushin 'Thunder' Liger & Tiger Mask vs. Ren Narita & Yuya Uemura ***3/4

Tiger Mask slapping the taste out of Uemura's mouth was pure joy :banderas.

Great fire shown by the Young Lions too. (Y). Promising stuff. And grumpy old men wrestling is always a treat too.

·
THE EXTREME HORSEMEN
5,978 Posts
Jushin 'Thunder' Liger & Tiger Mask vs. Ren Narita & Yuya Uemura

**3/4

Liger is FIFTY FOUR years old, and he still rules. GOAT. I enjoyed this, but it didn't blow me away at all. Watching the old men kick the snot out of the kids was good fun, especially Uemura, who kind of sucks. Really bad elbows and forearms from him, hopefully over time he gets better. Fun finishing run, and it great to see Uemura get murdered.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Liger's mannerisms big leaguing the rookies are the best, but Tiger Mask legit always wants to murder them in every match. God dammit, I love it. Young Lions were having great matches peppered throughout last year, the same type of trend should continue.

·
Baby It's Violence
7,121 Posts
I don't usually watch much Young Lion stuff, but I did check out this one.

NO but Recommended - Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask vs. Ren Narita & Yuya Uemura - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 13 Fanfest

I don't know what kind of mood Tiger Mask woke up in, but jesus he was all sorts of pissed off in this match. He beat the holy hell out of Uemura, it felt like he was laying into some of those kicks at times. After that, all four of them defintely started to have beef with one another, even Liger got in on Tiger Mask's hate train with how he was whipping Uemura into the guardrails. Both Narita and Uemura looked very promising, especially with some of their selling. But yeah, this was fun as hell, and I'm totally on board with Yaffa's idea of having the grumpy old men go for the tag titles.

***3/4

·
Le Champion
18,666 Posts
Triple Crown Championship: Kento Miyahara (c) vs. KAI (AJPW 1/3) **** (YES!)
https://www.bilibili.com/video/av39864539

Hell yes, the effort and intensity here were great. Both guys looked super motivated and Korakuen was rockin. Kento's leg selling is subpar (per usual tbh) and that's the only downfall but man the finishing stretch was amazing and honestly the whole match held my attention. The finish itself is a tremendous visual. Welcome to 2019!! :mark:

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
About to watch the Triple Crown match. Super sigh at terrible limb selling though. That could totally kibosh the match for being worth a damn because you know, why work a limb for any part of the match if you just want to do a bunch of flashy moves? Kento please.

·
Registered
113 Posts
AJPW

YES: Kento Miyahara (c) -vs- KAI - (Triple Crown Title) [*** 3/4] (AJPW: January 3, 2019)
--- After a weak January 2 show, AJPW comes back on the 3rd with a real good one, headlined by Miyahara and KAI giving it their all, oozing of energy and determination. Lacked perhaps a clear thread, but what they were doing was excellent! In many ways they were mirroring each other in what became a climatic battle, and where KAI showed how great he can be when motivated. Miyahara was superb as always!

NO but Recommended: Naoya Nomura & Yuma Aoyagi (c) -vs- Takao Omori & Black Menso~re - (All Asia Tag Title) [***] (AJPW: January 3, 2019)
--- Cool match. Felt the challengers were a little sloppy, but that only helped get me excited whenever they were close to winning, as I really didn't want to see the belts on Omori & Menso~re. The champs showed good form in a very old school All Japan way.

DDT

YES: CIMA & T-Hawk & Duan Yingnan (c) -vs- Konosuke Takeshita & Akito & Yuki Iino - (KO-D 6-Man Tag Title) [*** 1/2] (DDT: January 3, 2019)
--- This was hot! CIMA bringing his OWE project to DDT for a chaotic spectacle against ALL OUT. At times super amazing! One where Iino really shined with his power among the athletic boys. So entertaining that I might be underrating the effort!

NO but Recommended: Nobuhiro Shimatani -vs- El Lindaman [***] (DDT: January 3, 2019)
--- The opener for DDT's year was a surprise. I've never really liked Lindaman and I still can't remember Shunatani's name when I see him, but here they did a real fun short and sweet exchange. Every little thing counted and put a smile on everybody's face.

TJP

NO but Recommended: Meiko Satomura -vs- Reika Saiki [***] (TJP: January 4, 2019)
--- The highlight of TJP's first show of '19. While TJP wrestlers isn't known for taking too much damage, it was a thrill seeing how the powerful beauty Reika Shiki would tackle Satomura's dangerous offense. They kept it basic and worked smart. Stuff mattered, but I wouldn't have minded a longer climax portion.

CMLL

NO but Recommended: Dragón Lee & Penta 0M & King Phoenix -vs- Cuatrero & Forastero & Templario [***] (CMLL: January 1, 2019)
--- This tag topped CMLL's first, and very uneven, Arena Mexico show of 2019. Lucha Brothers really shakes things up in CMLL and I hope they keep bringing guys like that in to give the often stale booking in CMLL some color. Fine heated stuff.

NJPW

NO: Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask -vs- Ren Narita & Yuya Uemura [* 3/4] (NJPW: January 3, 2019)
--- Someone's hyped for the Tokyo Dome show, I see, already pissing in their pants of excitement loving anything New Japan. Even this dime-a-dozen rookie vs veteran bout. Sure it was solid, but come on! This was pure routine. These guys can do this stuff in their sleep on any given night, and almost did that here.

--PUNQ--

·
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
5,600 Posts
Kento's selling didn't bother me too much. But at this point I kind of expect wrestlers not consistently selling damage as the finish has really become the most "important" thing in these big matches.

I know the word important there is very contentious. But rather than poor selling hurting a match when I rate/value it, good selling helps a match. I know most won't agree though.

·
Le Champion
18,666 Posts
Kento's selling didn't bother me too much. But at this point I kind of expect wrestlers not consistently selling damage as the finish has really become the most "important" thing in these big matches.

I know the word important there is very contentious. But rather than poor selling hurting a match when I rate/value it, good selling helps a match. I know most won't agree though.
Totally get what you're saying. It's just unfortunate these days that so many guys barely pay attention to long term selling to where it's such a pleasant surprise when you do find someone that does the job well.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Zack Gibson selling beautifully is 90% of why I thought so highly of his match vs Noam Dar last year. I liked the sum of the match, but that was just so great and seemingly so rare, it really stood out.

And I'll generally always be a stickler for selling. If you're gonna implement limb work, you better stick with it.

Also, maybe some of us actually really liked that Liger/Tiger Mask vs Young Lions tag. But yes, it's all a mindless hype machine for the other matches. Ugh, stop.

·
Le Champion
18,666 Posts
Omega vs. Tanahashi - **** 1/2 (YES!!!)
Jericho vs. Naito - *** 3/4 (NO But Recommended)

Didn't particularly find anything else on the show to be worth mentioning, but Ibushi/Ospreay and KUSHIDA/Ishimori were solid.

Now my ass is going to BED. :lol

·
Midcard Minivan
6,678 Posts
No But Recommended

Chris Jericho (c) vs Tetsuya Naito @ Wrestle Kingdom 13 ***1/2

Kenny Omega (c) vs Hiroshi Tanahashi @ Wrestle Kingdom 13 ***3/4

·
Currently lying down wearing a blue suit
10,815 Posts
I give a No, but strongly recommended to the Elite vs Suzuki-gun vs Chaos vs Yuji Nagata/Jeff Cobb/David Finlay vs Most Violent Players Gauntlet match on Wrestle Kingdom 13.

I gave that very good match a 7.5/10 :)

I give a No, but strongly recommended to Kota Ibushi vs Will Ospreay for the NEVER Openweight title on Wrestle Kingdom 13.

I give a No, but strongly recommended to Chris Jericho vs Tetsuya Naito No DQ match for the IWGP Intercontinental title on Wrestle Kingdom 13.

I give a YES to Kenny Omega vs Hiroshi Tanahashi for the IWGP Heavyweight title on Wrestle Kingdom 13.

I gave that great match a 9/10 :mark:

21 - 40 of 1775 Posts