Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
My opinion might be unpopular but I always thought that 2010-2013 was really bad. I really liked the way the roster evolved from 2014 to 2017. In fact I enjoyed 2016 and 2017 overall. Bogged down a bit in the past couple of years.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
4/10

It feels like it was mostly the decade of Cena. He's entertaining in his own right but only because he kills kayfabe completely and buries people on the mic. Overall, most of the years ranged from okay to mediocre to just poor.

·
F*** This indy flippy shit
2,029 Posts
Maybe the top stars of that era were better, sure, but everyone else? Not a chance. I'd rather watch guys like Joe, Owens, Wyatt, Gulak, Roode, Nakamura, Styles, etc. under a proper booker or a younger Vince than I would want to watch the janitors, dentists, and other horrible gimmicks of that era.
Granted, those gimmicks were awful. But at least you had guys like HBK, Bret Hart, Razor, Diesel, Sid, etc.

I’m not a workrate fan so there’s about 5 guys from the current roster that I find interesting. The rest are bland, generic workrate guys who couldn’t work a mic to save their lives.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Granted, those gimmicks were awful. But at least you had guys like HBK, Bret Hart, Razor, Diesel, Sid, etc.

I’m not a workrate fan so there’s about 5 guys from the current roster that I find interesting. The rest are bland, generic workrate guys who couldn’t work a mic to save their lives.
Come on, there's more than 5. It may not be as many as previous eras, but there's still enough people who can work a mic there, it's just they don't get the opportunity to because of Vince.

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
3,700 Posts
I’d say 5/10. It sucked until 2015 mostly.
Wait, you think it got better after 2015? Yikes. Pretty much all the best stuff from this decade happened before that time.

4/10

It feels like it was mostly the decade of Cena. He's entertaining in his own right but only because he kills kayfabe completely and buries people on the mic. Overall, most of the years ranged from okay to mediocre to just poor.
I'm not sure I agree with that. He hasn't main-evented WrestleMania since 2013, and for much of the decade he's been a part-timer, and he's actually put a number of people over, especially since 2015.

·
2,029 Posts
Come on, there's more than 5. It may not be as many as previous eras, but there's still enough people who can work a mic there, it's just they don't get the opportunity to because of Vince.
Honestly five might be stretching it.

- Braun
- Elias
- Joe (if he’s ever healthy)
- Rusev
- King Corbin.
- Alexa’s ass

- Velveteen Dream (if you count NXT)
- Brock (when he’s there)

The rest of the roster I couldn’t give two shits about.

The only above average mic workers they have are Joe, Elias, Miz, ‘New’ Daniel Bryan, Alexa and KO.

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
Had very few moments that were good:

Cena vs Rock I
Punk vs Cena (after Punk's pipebomb)
Punk vs Lesnar (very underrated match)
Jericho Owens feud
Styles Vs Cena
Goldberg vs Lesnar
Ambrose winning the MITB and the title

But for every single one of the memorable events I listed above, WWE has given use 5X times worse moments. Credit should be given where credit is due, WWE has done something right. Same topic in 2030 will be a completely different story.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Honestly five might be stretching it.

- Braun
- Elias
- Joe (if he’s ever healthy)
- Rusev
- King Corbin.
- Alexa’s ass

- Velveteen Dream (if you count NXT)
- Brock (when he’s there)

The rest of the roster I couldn’t give two shits about.

The only above average mic workers they have are Joe, Elias, Miz, ‘New’ Daniel Bryan, Alexa and KO.
Wyatt, Zayn, Vega, Cole, Gulak, and Woods are all above average to good on the mic too. That's more than enough for a roster but they don't do anything with them is the bigger problem. And we don't even know how good the others could be if they weren't scripted.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Seriously, some people here were either too young or deluded by someone about the 90s and the AE in particular and haven't gone back to watch any of it since but yet retain this opinion somehow that the roster then was filled to the brim with charismatic, witty mic workers. Reading this forum would make one think that the 1997-2002 roster was stacked with Hollywood level actors and talkers and that many of them went on to have successful acting careers after wrestling. Truth is, they didn't (except for 1-2 guys) and this idea that this generation pales in comparison to that one in charisma aside from Rock and Austin is baseless and irrelevant. If you don't like the product, fine you don't have to watch, but some of the reasoning to shit on everything is seriously laughable.

·
2,029 Posts
Wyatt, Zayn, Vega, Cole, Gulak, and Woods are all above average to good on the mic too. That's more than enough for a roster but they don't do anything with them is the bigger problem. And we don't even know how good the others could be if they weren't scripted.
I forgot about Wyatt, my brain mentally blocked him out after the Hell in a Cell booking disaster.

·
Queen of all Galaxies
3,460 Posts
There were some great moments for sure (Edge's RR return and win, Shawn/Taker WM 26, Kane as WHC, Summer of Punk, Masked Kane's return, Punk's heel turn, The Shield, Bryan's rise and WM moment, Dolph's cash-in, The Wyatt Family, Evolution's return, Brock squashing Cena, Sting's debut, Seth's cash-in, Dean's cash-in, JeriKO, Bray's EC moment, The Man Becky Lynch's rise and WM moment, The New Daniel Bryan as WWE Champion, The Fiend Bray Wyatt etc.), but the product often felt boring with no consistent storylines, no characters and no stars. This decade wasn't that bad, but it could've been so much better with a proper booking meant to generate new stars and to develop good characters.

·
Registered
390 Posts
2010 - Nexus ruined
2011 - CM Punk ruined
2012 - Ryback ruined
2013 - Every attempt made to ruin Daniel Bryan
2014 - Actually a pretty good year
2015 - Roman Reigns ruined
2016 - i do not remember this year at all
2017 - i do not remember this year at all
2018 - Asuka ruined
2019 - by far the worst year of the decade with an absolutely talented roster being used horrendously

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
The Disneyfication of WWE, where creative concerns firmly took a back seat to marketing and sales opportunity. A complete homogenization of the product by a company so terrified of its own unprogressive past that it would rather not have characters and storylines than try anything remotely risky. And top that off with entitlement (“We won that Monday Night War”), and the belief that comes with it that everything that they do is infalliable.

Oh, and full blown Founders Syndrome.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
There were some great moments for sure (Edge's RR return and win, Shawn/Taker WM 26, Kane as WHC, Summer of Punk, Masked Kane's return, Punk's heel turn, The Shield, Bryan's rise and WM moment, Dolph's cash-in, The Wyatt Family, Evolution's return, Brock squashing Cena, Sting's debut, Seth's cash-in, Dean's cash-in, JeriKO, Bray's EC moment, The Man Becky Lynch's rise and WM moment, The New Daniel Bryan as WWE Champion, The Fiend Bray Wyatt etc.), but the product often felt boring with no consistent storylines, no characters and no stars. This decade wasn't that bad, but it could've been so much better with a proper booking meant to generate new stars and to develop good characters.
Best way to rate this decade is the highs were as high as Taker-HBK WM 26 and the lows were as low as Taker-Goldberg SSD.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts