Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The return of submission holds that END matches.

I train in BJJ and know the effectiveness of submission holds, granted that in WWE they are a little bit exhaggerated for tv purposes (ADR cross arm breaker) but at least WWE is bringing them back as credible finishes.

Currently there are a number of superstars who can finish with a submission:

ADR - Cross Arm Breaker
Big Show - Camel Clutch
Dolph Ziggler - Sleeper
Daniel Bryan - Labelle Lock
Jack Swagger - Ankle Lock
Undertaker - Hells Gate
Cm Punk - Anaconda Vice
Natayla - Sharpshooter

Honorable mention goes to Eve for her top rope arm bar (although that hasnt been seen in a while), and im sure there are prob a few that i can't think of at the moment

Its bringing some realism back into the matches and I'm all for it

·
i ain't got no type
1,490 Posts

World Heavyweight Championship; Hell In A Cell
'The Game' Triple H vs.
'The Phenom' The Undertaker

WWE Championship; Match of the Millenium
'The Great One' The Rock vs.
'The Camp' John Cena

Doesn't matter where or when, just wanted to see those happen in like, 2003 or 2006. Not now for sure.

·
Asuka
96,366 Posts
What I find even more interesting is that most of that list are heels. It's almost unheard of for a heel to make a face tap but it's getting pretty frequent these days. I guess with kayfabe shattered it pretty much doesn't matter anymore.

I wouldn't include Big Show though since he hasn't used the Camel Clutch in I don't know how long.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Hear me out before you bash.

I think they should be going AWAY from this. With the rise of UFC, you see people get put in an armbar or leglock, that really hurts and people tap out immediately because you could legitimately break your arm or leg.

Then you watch WWE and people have submissions on for minutes. It's just not real and is 2010 you can't sell it and make it believeable when we know in "non scripted" fighting people submit cause it only takes a couple of seconds for your bones to break.

·
Premium Member
10,171 Posts

World Heavyweight Championship; Hell In A Cell
'The Game' Triple H vs.
'The Phenom' The Undertaker

WWE Championship; Match of the Millenium
'The Great One' The Rock vs.
'The Camp' John Cena

Doesn't matter where or when, just wanted to see those happen in like, 2003 or 2006. Not now for sure.
Am I imagining this post in this thread....?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hear me out before you bash.

I think they should be going AWAY from this. With the rise of UFC, you see people get put in an armbar or leglock, that really hurts and people tap out immediately because you could legitimately break your arm or leg.

Then you watch WWE and people have submissions on for minutes. It's just not real and is 2010 you can't sell it and make it believeable when we know in "non scripted" fighting people submit cause it only takes a couple of seconds for your bones to break.
Yeah but people now REALISE how dangerous these moves are, and realise its WWE and they are gonna wait a little before they tap.... If jericho comes back, im sure guys arent gonna fight out of the Walls too much, just adds a bit of realism, instead of going 'boom boom boom, trouple in paradise, pin' its BANG labelle lock, tap!

oh ps.. i forgot to add Cenas stfu to that list... another face with a submission move

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm loving the fact that submissions are being used more frequently, technical wrestling is by far my favorite. I wouldn't say it's the one thing WWE has going for them at the moment though, I've actually enjoyed the product more in 2010 then I have in several years. I'm finally watching it because I enjoy it instead of watching out of habit.

·
Banned
9,205 Posts
What I find even more interesting is that most of that list are heels. It's almost unheard of for a heel to make a face tap but it's getting pretty frequent these days. I guess with kayfabe shattered it pretty much doesn't matter anymore.

I wouldn't include Big Show though since he hasn't used the Camel Clutch in I don't know how long.
um...4 people on that list are faces and 4 are heels.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I totally agree. Although everyone that has a submission as a finisher should also have a back up finisher just so it doesn't seem they rely on their submission to much.

That mainly applies to Danielson and Alberto Del Rio. I liked on the old school RAW how they got both guys to use other moves to end their matches.

Also shout out goes to AJ on NXT for using a christo I think it was. That submission looks fantastic and even better when a smaller person like AJ uses it.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I totally agree. Although everyone that has a submission as a finisher should also have a back up finisher just so it doesn't seem they rely on their submission to much.

That mainly applies to Danielson and Alberto Del Rio. I liked on the old school RAW how they got both guys to use other moves to end their matches.

Also shout out goes to AJ on NXT for using a christo I think it was. That submission looks fantastic and even better when a smaller person like AJ uses it.

yeah that did look fkn sweet

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Always been a fan of submission wrestling so I agree this is good to see. I don't think it's the only thing they have going for them though... lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts