Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let’s just call it that for want of a better phrase.

The fans all united in getting this guy to the main event despite it not being what the WWE wanted. But it worked.

Same thing with Becky Lynch. And now it’s kinda happening again with Kofi Kingston.

So my question is, now that the fans see that it genuinely makes a difference and has an impact, do you guys think it will become a bit more of a common thing now? Do you think more talent may reach the high Kofi and Becky are currently at?

·
Baby Yoda
29,300 Posts
Already tired of the underdog crap.

2 of the last 5 WMs have been built around it, try something new. It's predictable and boring.

This is something that should be pushed rarely (once in 10-15), not every few years or the effect/impact wanes and is nowhere as special.

·
Salt of the Earth
16,359 Posts
Yeah, it's getting a bit boring.

Bryan was a rare case. The build was perfect for it all and it just stinks of WWE trying to catch lightning in a bottle again. Not going to happen. Becky and Kofi may be over but they're no where near Bryans level of overness nor do either of them have half the build he had.

·
Baby It's Violence
7,115 Posts
I don't get the boring stuff on it.

All I see is that those two guys are two of the stars currently in WWE that are getting the best reactions and support, and it makes sense to do that they're doing with them (although in Becky's case they kinda messed it up some). God forbid they actually have babyfaces who are getting pushed and who the fans genuinely want to watch.

My only gripe is that I wish we didn't have fucking Mcmahon authority figures in 2019. If you want to talk about problems, THAT is a HUGE one.

·
Baby Yoda
29,300 Posts
You can't let the audience dictate everything but at the same time it doesn't mean that you book your show and make everyone come across like a geek.
Fans are entitled these days, they want to dictate who becomes champion.

Some guys just aren't world championship level, to avoid cases like this they need to really do better with the top stars they book. Otherwise they're going to end up with fans booking PPVs the way they like. It sounds silly because you should listen to your customers, but WWE are going to the point of overdoing it and dragging their title and shows down. What was once prestigious is a prop to give to a favorite for years of service.

Can you imagine the AE if Hurricane got over huge and they had him beat Austin/Rock/HHH for the world title at WM?

Don't get me wrong, I like Kofi but I get this is setting a bad precedent and is hurting the WWE championship by putting the title on a career midcard guy who they told us for years isn't at that level.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I cant speak for past generations but it seems like today’s fans love a good ol underdog story. Underdog stories can be powerful when done right but i feel the story really loses its legs once the underdog finally wins

·
Baby Yoda
29,300 Posts
I don't get the boring stuff on it.

All I see is that those two guys are two of the stars currently in WWE that are getting the best reactions and support, and it makes sense to do that they're doing with them (although in Becky's case they kinda messed it up some). God forbid they actually have babyfaces who are getting pushed and who the fans genuinely want to watch.

My only gripe is that I wish we didn't have fucking Mcmahon authority figures in 2019. If you want to talk about problems, THAT is a HUGE one.
They've done this story before, is it a bit too much to ask for something new aside from the underdog rising above the authority and winning? There's 3 cases of it in the last 5 WMs...

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
It is boring to see those talents after being in nothing relevant to qualify themselves as a singles star, being all of a sudden thrusted in the WrestleMania title picture. Then you have the stupid McMahons screwing around with the fans and wrestlers, and a lame story of how someone scratched, clawed, wrestled every single night, gave everything for the Universe, and worked really hard for years. Enough of this crap already.

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another interesting question would be, will the fans grow bored of getting what they want if they continue to get what they want? I know I definitely would.

But then it becomes a whole thing of complaining when we get what we want and then complaining when we don’t get what we want.

WWE seems to really struggle with finding the balance, and going at the right pace with storylines and character building

·
Baby Yoda
29,300 Posts
It is boring to see those talents after being in nothing relevant to qualify themselves as a singles star, being all of a sudden thrusted in the WrestleMania title picture. Then you have the stupid McMahons screwing around with the fans and wrestlers, and a lame story of how someone scratched, clawed, wrestled every single night, gave everything for the Universe, and worked really hard for years. Enough of this crap already.
Today's fans eat that shit up. The ones who are wise to all of it know the majority of the guys in the back busted their asses to get to the position they are today, some who went through tougher roads who aren't getting the same appreciation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts