Wrestling Forum banner

That botched piledriver

4K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Arcturus 
#1 ·
Rewatching the Stone Cold doc tonight and maybe it's because I'm high, but I thought of something that I've never thought of before.

Is it possible when Stone Cold and Owen were planning that spot, they were told Owen can do the tombstone, but he can't deliver it the way Undertaker does and so Owen tried to do it in a non-ideal way. This would also explain why Owen never called to apologize Austin, because maybe Owen was pissed that he was taking heat for being forced to deliver a move in an unsafe way.

Does anyone see any merit in this conspiracy theory?

And if you want to take it further and considerably less likely, WWF killed Owen to shut him up because only he and Austin and whoever else was in the room knew who was at fault in the whole situation and Owen had been threatening to release th truth.

#4 ·
Austin said in his book that he specifically told Owen that if he's gonna do the Tombstone, then it's best he land on his knees and not his ass since there's not as much room to protect yourself when the person executing the move lands on their ass. And for some reason, Owen didn't listen and went to his ass instead of his knees anyway, and look what happened as a result.

I don't blame Austin for saying he didn't want to do business with Owen ever again after that.

#5 ·
Owen Hart botched the pile driver because he didn't want Austin to be the next big star, whom he felt would surpass Bret Hart as the number 1 guy.

"Accidentally" break his neck and take him out of the picture.

I saw the set up when I was 14 years old and could tell it was fucked up as soon as he lifted him up.

Austin's head was a good 6 inches below the safety zone, as a professional he should noticed or felt the difference.

#8 ·
Also keep in mind, WWE became a publicly traded company in 1999.

Which means more money and mainstream "acceptance".

In order to join "the club", you must be willing to commit a blood sacrifice to show "appreciation".

Owen's death was a convenient tragedy that benefited WWE in the end.

And Owen was also the perfect candidate.

1. He severely injured their top money maker who almost had to hang it up.

2. He was bitter over the screw job and wanted out of his contract, but couldn't get released.

Before he died, he was a comedy skit.

#13 ·
It was a miscommunication - Owen thought they agreed to do the butt first pile driver, Austin thought they agreed to to the to the knees tombstone version. Austin set up and braces himself in accordance with taking a tombstone, but Owen went down to his butt and Austin was thus in the wrong placement and spiked on his head.

#16 ·
Austin broke Masa Chono's neck with a piledriver in Japan, learning from that, he told Owen not to do an ass-drop-front-piledriver. Owen said "I'm going to do it", and IIRC Austin said he thought Owen was fucking around with him because Owen had a big sense of humour. Why a piledriver specifically had to be included into the match, who the hell knows.

#18 ·
Owen Hart needed to watch more Scott Steiner

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.