Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thank you TNA. I've caught snippets of Impact this year and certain matches suggested by friends and other users on this forum. I used to go to quite a few shows at the old Impact Zone in 2004-2005 with friends. I had the pleasure of being there live for Unbreakable 2005 and the now-classic Joe/AJ/Daniels match. I actually took my gf at the time - she didn't like wrestling, but was a dance major and appreciated the aesthetics and movement, and she :mark:'ed the fuck out.

With that being said, thank you TNA. Thank you for showing in a concise 3 hour PPV that I don't need to watch your product for at least another year. I could've tried middling through some Impacts, and think "Maybe this just isn't a good Impact tonight?" I could have caught a PPV before that and wondered "Maybe there was something with the booking, or that it was rushed?" But no. In every match, every segment, there was something wrong. I'm going to jump around a bit from memory:

1) Why in the hell was Kurt Angle's tongue blue during his HOF promo? If this were a random Impact promo, I wouldn't care, but this is the biggest PPV of the year, in a poignant and heartfelt Hall of Fame promo. Do they really have no one in the back doing some quality control? Also, why is Sting - a guy set to wrestle a big match not an hour later - inducting him? Was there really no one else? And really? HOF for guys who are still wrestling? Every other HOF is for guys after they retire. Couldn't do Jeff Jarrett? But I digress...

2) That Ultimate X match was sorry. Ladders? OK. I mean, it flies in the face of the point of the damn thing, but I get it: Can't have Jeff Hardy old man'ing it on monkey bars, but then, it really isn't an Ultimate X match then, so much as a ladder match. And nothing about that finish was PPV worthy. No kiss, no suggestiveness, didn't take or give a bump. Its a stale finish that's been used 145104985719357 times to start/continue a TV feud. Nothing about it was innovative, new, or fresh - not even a memorable jostle for the title at the top of the ladder. Jeff even had to haphazardly turn them around at the last second as Sabin was getting in. "I'm callin' Botchamania on that shit!"

3) Roode v. Angle is about the most over-rated match I've seen. This is where I wanted to stop. The first 3 minutes of the match featured Roode straight up out-wrestling Angle on the mat. Yeah, Gold-Medal winner Kurt Angle. Three times Roode got the better of Angle, and he wasn't even doing anything extraordinary! Lockup; hammerlock; around the world; takedown. Lockup; go-behind; collegiate takedown; spin around. :fpalm It's just so totally the wrong way to work the beginning. Roode's accomplishment should've been that he "hung" with Angle on the mat, and maybe surprised him with a couple tricks. Instead? Nope. Roode hits all the elementary chain-wrestling spots, in order, to Kurt Angle who was apparently suffering from amnesia. In kayfabe, I have never seen his opponent get such routine mat wrestling on him without any struggle. It was bad. Really bad. Insulting even. Parts of the match were OK - some transitions into/out of the ankle-lock/crossface were nice, but nothing I haven't seen Benoit do 10 years ago. Again, there was almost nothing fresh, nothing new except the finish. And oh boy that finish.

4)Broman's. Look, you want to make it a comedy thing? Go for it. You want them to get serious? Go for it. But this in-between crap where at the drop of a dime, for no apparent reason, they decide to go from comedy mode to serious mode is laughable. I can't take dude seriously fighting for a finish when his gelled blow-out has started to come undone and half is hanging down, while the other half is sticking straight out on the sides like he's fucking Heihachi from Tekken. Then they want to be funny at the end with the protein shakes. None of those spots, individually, are bad. I want to stress that. It's that there's no cohesion, no continuity from one to the other.

5) The Diva's match was so-so. Best thing I could say about the show was the powerbomb by Tapa. That shit looked owie. Girl did not want that. Gail looked like she was next, then wasn't, and that was that. Ok, I guess. I didn't see the angle/relationship between Gail and Tapa - Henchman? Bodyguard? Lover? Protector? Tapa sparing Gail because she thinks she can beat her? IDK, and I'm not watching any further to find out.

It was a really lame show. It's easy to rip on TNA, and I normally would refrain, but that shit was atrocious. It's like they look at their feet, decide they don't need both, take out a gun and shoot one. Simply cannot get out of their own way, even during their biggest PPV of the year.

Reactions: Rah

·
Registered
10,124 Posts
Why are you assuming someone forces you to watch TNA?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Why are you assuming someone forces you to watch TNA?
And you'll be able quote where I said, "So, I was forced to watch..." No? Oh that's right, because I didn't say that; it was you making shit up. Don't get all mad because I thought it was crappy. I laid out my rationale, can you rebut or make a counterpoint to any of it? It's almost like someone forces people to make a "no one forces you to watch it" post whenever a there's critical post/thread...funny, that.

·
Registered
10,124 Posts
And you'll be able quote where I said, "So, I was forced to watch..." No? Oh that's right, because I didn't say that; it was you making shit up. Don't get all mad because I thought it was crappy. I laid out my rationale, can you rebut or make a counterpoint to any of it? Cause right now, all I see is thinly-veiled butthurt.
fpalm You are thankful because according to you the show was complete crap and you won't have to watch TNA ever again.
So the question persists, who forces you to watch TNA? There's no counterpoint just a question... Why would anyone watch anything with that mindset?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
fpalm You are thankful because according to you the show was complete crap and you won't have to watch TNA ever again.
So the question persists, who forces you to watch TNA? There's no counterpoint just a question... Why would anyone watch anything with that mindset?
Exactly. Instead of whining and bitching about how bad TNA is, just stop watching and spare us the drama. If I don't like a TV show, I don't watch it. If I don't like a musical artist, I don't listen to his songs. If you don't like something, yet you still watch it, that just shows a lack of intelligence.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Goodness knows the OP shouldn't talk about his opinion of a wrestling PPV on a wrestling forum.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had no mindset. I liked TNA quite a bit, then didn't, and so took a break. This was the first full-show since that break. I'm not speaking in generalities. I'm pointing out specifics.

Yes, that was me me turning a negative (disappointment) into a positive (being thankful). Stunning pantomime on my part, I know. Is there anything else to add? Roode consistently outclassing Angle with 30 year-old mat wrestling techniques? The "passed out" rope break? The fall-on-you finish? Sabin's Ultimate X generic heel finish #27 "Use eye candy to distract your opponent." without any sort of new/outrageous spin? The sweet Powerbomb by Tapa?

·
Registered
904 Posts
OP sounds like an asshurt Angle fan lol.

Reactions: Rick_James

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
He has every right to post his opinion. And other people have every right to tell him how stupid he is for watching a product he doesn't like.
Perhaps he'd like for it to get better? We don't have to stop watching something because we are disappointed on occasion by it. If all the OP ever did was rag on TNA, you;d have a point. Has he?

·
Dios perdona, los Perros... NO!
3,915 Posts
Exactly. Instead of whining and bitching about how bad TNA is, just stop watching and spare us the drama. If I don't like a TV show, I don't watch it. If I don't like a musical artist, I don't listen to his songs. If you don't like something, yet you still watch it, that just shows a lack of intelligence.
This is TNA's biggest show of the year. A point where it has a possibility of drawing fans back in that have stopped watching. Instead, they deliver the trainwreck that was BFG. He has a completely valid, and well articulated, point.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Perhaps he'd like for it to get better? We don't have to stop watching something because we are disappointed on occasion by it. If all the OP ever did was rag on TNA, you;d have a point. Has he?
He said he only watched snippets of TNA this year, and that he can stop watching for the next year. Which is fine. Anyone who doesn't like a show can stop bitching and simply go away. Leave the watching to real fans.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I'll use myself as an example: I don't watch the WWE. Don't like the product, so I don't watch Raw or Smackdown or any of their PPVs. I haven't for years and years. Do you see me whining and bitching about something I don't watch or have any desire to watch? Do you see me going to the WWE forum and complain about that promotion? No, you don't.

4,547 Posts
I do watch WWE. I watch TNA too, and NJPW, and a sampling of other stuff as well. Sometimes I’m impressed by what I see, sometimes I despair for the minds behind the trainwreck and, at other times, I laugh at the absurdity of it all. I love professional wrestling. I was brought up with it, know people involved with it and appreciate it for what it is.

BFG was – in MY OPIONION – a weak ppv. There was nothing to distinguish it from a regular edition of Impact other than it being worse than the weekly offerings over the past month. The HoF rejection segment was one of the stupidest things I’ve ever seen on a ppv, and I’ve seen some awesome amounts of stupid over the years. The OP was articulate, set out his points properly and posted with obvious effort and forethought.

You know, I felt a little bad about expressing my disappointment in BFG during last night’s live thread. The people backstage at TNA are trying their best and it must hurt to know – and they do know – that they just aren’t reading the audience reactions properly, aren’t pleasing the fans they’re so desperate to attract. I feel bad for the wrestlers who do everything they can to put on a solid show only to appear in front of diminishing or unresponsive crowds. Hell, I even feel bad for the announce team. But BFG still wasn’t good enough and I see no point in shouting down anyone who was left disappointed by what was presented.

·
Registered
9,923 Posts
All I have to say is every ppv you hear aries chants. You heard aries chants in the pre show. You put your personal opion aside no matter what for what fans react.

This guy should be the dominating face of the company

·
Registered
641 Posts
lmao this whiteknighting. The OP clearly stated he has been a fan before and just didn't enjoy the way this PPV went at all. Is this not a wrestling forum? What can be compared to the OP is a fan loving the old Eminem but not favoring his new stuff at all, and voicing how it just isnt really good anymore. He didn't go off on some "TNA is trash LOL how anyone can watch this shit is beyond me" rant.

As for the OP I agree, I loved TNA a few years ago, but it just hasn't been enjoyable at all recently. Hopefully the reset fixes things.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thank you TNA. I've caught snippets of Impact this year and certain matches suggested by friends and other users on this forum. I used to go to quite a few shows at the old Impact Zone in 2004-2005 with friends. I had the pleasure of being there live for Unbreakable 2005 and the now-classic Joe/AJ/Daniels match. I actually took my gf at the time - she didn't like wrestling, but was a dance major and appreciated the aesthetics and movement, and she :mark:'ed the fuck out.

With that being said, thank you TNA. Thank you for showing in a concise 3 hour PPV that I don't need to watch your product for at least another year. I could've tried middling through some Impacts, and think "Maybe this just isn't a good Impact tonight?" I could have caught a PPV before that and wondered "Maybe there was something with the booking, or that it was rushed?" But no. In every match, every segment, there was something wrong. I'm going to jump around a bit from memory:

1) Why in the hell was Kurt Angle's tongue blue during his HOF promo? If this were a random Impact promo, I wouldn't care, but this is the biggest PPV of the year, in a poignant and heartfelt Hall of Fame promo. Do they really have no one in the back doing some quality control? Also, why is Sting - a guy set to wrestle a big match not an hour later - inducting him? Was there really no one else? And really? HOF for guys who are still wrestling? Every other HOF is for guys after they retire. Couldn't do Jeff Jarrett? But I digress...

2) That Ultimate X match was sorry. Ladders? OK. I mean, it flies in the face of the point of the damn thing, but I get it: Can't have Jeff Hardy old man'ing it on monkey bars, but then, it really isn't an Ultimate X match then, so much as a ladder match. And nothing about that finish was PPV worthy. No kiss, no suggestiveness, didn't take or give a bump. Its a stale finish that's been used 145104985719357 times to start/continue a TV feud. Nothing about it was innovative, new, or fresh - not even a memorable jostle for the title at the top of the ladder. Jeff even had to haphazardly turn them around at the last second as Sabin was getting in. "I'm callin' Botchamania on that shit!"

3) Roode v. Angle is about the most over-rated match I've seen. This is where I wanted to stop. The first 3 minutes of the match featured Roode straight up out-wrestling Angle on the mat. Yeah, Gold-Medal winner Kurt Angle. Three times Roode got the better of Angle, and he wasn't even doing anything extraordinary! Lockup; hammerlock; around the world; takedown. Lockup; go-behind; collegiate takedown; spin around. :fpalm It's just so totally the wrong way to work the beginning. Roode's accomplishment should've been that he "hung" with Angle on the mat, and maybe surprised him with a couple tricks. Instead? Nope. Roode hits all the elementary chain-wrestling spots, in order, to Kurt Angle who was apparently suffering from amnesia. In kayfabe, I have never seen his opponent get such routine mat wrestling on him without any struggle. It was bad. Really bad. Insulting even. Parts of the match were OK - some transitions into/out of the ankle-lock/crossface were nice, but nothing I haven't seen Benoit do 10 years ago. Again, there was almost nothing fresh, nothing new except the finish. And oh boy that finish.

4)Broman's. Look, you want to make it a comedy thing? Go for it. You want them to get serious? Go for it. But this in-between crap where at the drop of a dime, for no apparent reason, they decide to go from comedy mode to serious mode is laughable. I can't take dude seriously fighting for a finish when his gelled blow-out has started to come undone and half is hanging down, while the other half is sticking straight out on the sides like he's fucking Heihachi from Tekken. Then they want to be funny at the end with the protein shakes. None of those spots, individually, are bad. I want to stress that. It's that there's no cohesion, no continuity from one to the other.

5) The Diva's match was so-so. Best thing I could say about the show was the powerbomb by Tapa. That shit looked owie. Girl did not want that. Gail looked like she was next, then wasn't, and that was that. Ok, I guess. I didn't see the angle/relationship between Gail and Tapa - Henchman? Bodyguard? Lover? Protector? Tapa sparing Gail because she thinks she can beat her? IDK, and I'm not watching any further to find out.

It was a really lame show. It's easy to rip on TNA, and I normally would refrain, but that shit was atrocious. It's like they look at their feet, decide they don't need both, take out a gun and shoot one. Simply cannot get out of their own way, even during their biggest PPV of the year.

Seriously was there anything you liked? :lol

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
OP sounds like an asshurt Angle fan lol.
Probably not even in my top 25.

Not that I expect anyone to check my post history, but I've never started a negative thread on any topic. The OP was my first post in the TNA subsection.

He said he only watched snippets of TNA this year, and that he can stop watching for the next year. Which is fine. Anyone who doesn't like a show can stop bitching and simply go away. Leave the watching to real fans.
Real fans are the one who pretend it was a good ppv? Besides, you got your wish - I won't be watching - not after that trainwreck, which was kind of my point.

The HoF rejection segment was one of the stupidest things I’ve ever seen on a ppv, and I’ve seen some awesome amounts of stupid over the years
Ironically, the point of the HoF rejection was good, imo. Angle is basically saying that what he's done isn't good enough; that he isn't some fossil, or cattle to be put out to pasture. He still wants to challenge himself and continue to build his resume and accomplish more in his career. It's also sort of an underhanded "Fuck you. I'll tell you when I'm ready to be inducted" moment. He's Napoleon taking the crown for himself at his own coronation. Thanks, but no thanks. Don't call me. I'll call you. It's defiant, it shows heart, hunger, and determination.

But could nobody in the back slap the Berry Blast Powerade out of his hand, and give him water until after his HoF induction/rejection promo at the biggest PPV of the year?

·
Registered
914 Posts
Never ceases to amaze me how fast the TNA marks run to every thread posting any criticism what so ever to yell "Well you dont have to watch it" as if the product is perfect right now and the fans are just not able to see that..

In actuality the fans have been doing what you said, not watching it...because their biggest show of the year, their wrestlmania, BFG just happen and it for the most part sucked ass. The OP is not the only one majorly bummed by how slapped together the show was and how crap the performances were even. Nobody went out there and really put on a 5 star performance at all. Nobody had a match this weekend that left the fans saying "wow, Ill remember that for the rest of my life". Hell nobody even put on a above average TNA impact performance tonight. It was just the same old shit. All I need to say to sum up just how wtf that whole night was is "Your new tag team champions...the Bromans!!!"

·
Fire, walk with me
8,000 Posts
Roode outwrestling Angle was really dumb. Especially since he did it so easily and there wasn't even a good reason for it other than Roode just kinda wanted to. Doesn't help that their submissions sucked either and I was really bored watching them just lie there either not selling the hold that well or just sort of laying/standing there when applying it. Ah well. It's not like I was expecting a good Kurt Angle match anyway.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts