Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Massachusetts high school senior Erin Cox went to pick up an intoxicated classmate from a party, she thought she was doing the right thing. However, administrators at North Andover High School are punishing her for the deed, citing the school’s zero tolerance policy on drugs on alcohol.

Cox, an honor student and volleyball star, received a cell phone message from an intoxicated friend asking for a ride home from a party earlier this month, according to the Boston Herald. However, Cox arrived at the party at the same time as the police, who were arresting a slew of students for underage drinking.

While Cox was cleared by police who recognized her sobriety, her school has given her a harsh punishment. The 17-year-old was stripped of her title as captain of the volleyball team, and she was suspended from five games.

“But I wasn’t drinking,” Cox told the Boston Herald. “And I felt like going to get her was the right thing to do. Saving her from getting in the car when she was intoxicated and hurt herself or getting in the car with someone else who was drinking. I’d give her a ride home.”

The Cox family filed a lawsuit against the school on Friday in an attempt to get officials to reverse the punishment. However, the district court judge ruled the court did not have jurisdiction over the issue, local station WBZ-TV reports.

“If a kid asks for help from a friend, you don’t want that kid to say ‘I’m sorry I can’t help you. I might end up in trouble at school,’” Cox family attorney Wendy Murphy told the outlet.

However, an attorney for the school told the Boston Herald that officials are standing firm on the punishment.

The district could not be reached for further comment at this time.

The Cox family is now hoping that pressure from supporters will persuade school officials to reverse their decision. A Reddit thread about the incident has already amassed more than 1,000 comments, most of which are in support of Cox.

“Better warn all students that they are not allowed to attend any party or enter an establishment that serves alcohol. That means no Applebee's, no family gatherings, and no professional sporting events. Eventually they will be imprisoned in a small room where they will not be allowed to leave unless they have a game or until they graduate,” user Drewkat99 said in a comment.

Cox told the Herald she feels “defeated,” but she said she doesn't regret her actions: "It was the right thing,” she said.

www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/14/erin-cox-punished-school-drinking-driving_n_4098086.html

Talk about sending the wrong message. It's better to let your friends drive drunk than it is to go pick them up because you might get in trouble being a responsible friend. fpalm

·
Banned
18,819 Posts
Great idea. Punish the person who made the right decision. Not only did she decide not to drink but she also made sure that none of her drunk friends drove.

Fucking Morons

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Reminds me of the Administration at my old high school.....completely illogical thinking on their part. Absolutely stupid.

·
Premium Member
18,174 Posts
No better way to not only not encourage under age drinking but also not drink and drive but to punish someone who wasn't doing both right ?

Lollogic

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
I actually have a solution

Get friends who won't underage drink and then try to get a ride off you
get friends who dont underage drink or get friends who dont drink underage? Your mother must be a smoker.

anyways, this is stupid. She did the right thing. They just want to stick it to her to show you "must submit to authority"

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
LOL america is a joke. This stuff happens all the time in this country.

Great police too. Telling the school that an innocent girl was in the presence of people drink. Bravo pigs

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
get friends who dont underage drink or get friends who dont drink underage? Your mother must be a smoker.
Chain smoker actually

Have go to a different state to get get cartons, tobacco taxes here are outrageous

also I feel that was a dig at my family members which is against the RULES

BAN HIM PLZ

·
Is a Snit Head
22,166 Posts
I'm wondering why the judge couldn't rule on this, they have jurisdiction on everything. Idiot school.
The article said it was filed in District Court, which means it was a Federal Court. Federal Courts don't have jurisdiction over everything.

Even if they sued in State Court I'm not entirely sure on what grounds they would sue for.

Pretty dumb decision by the school. I don't think she even violated their zero tolerance policy as she wasn't even at the party. It's sort of a rule that if you have a drunk friend or family that you come pick them up. It's a really good thing to to encourage as it reduces drunk driving. I'm 22 and living at home as a student and my parents still tell me that if I ever need a ride home to call them at any time because they don't want me to drive drunk.

I don't see how a school can enforce a policy that would appear to lead to more drunk driving from their students.

Good for the girl though to not apologize and stand her ground about how she did the right thing regardless of what the school says.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
The article said it was filed in District Court, which means it was a Federal Court. Federal Courts don't have jurisdiction over everything.

Even if they sued in State Court I'm not entirely sure on what grounds they would sue for.

Pretty dumb decision by the school. I don't think she even violated their zero tolerance policy as she wasn't even at the party. It's sort of a rule that if you have a drunk friend or family that you come pick them up. It's a really good thing to to encourage as it reduces drunk driving. I'm 22 and living at home as a student and my parents still tell me that if I ever need a ride home to call them at any time because they don't want me to drive drunk.

I don't see how a school can enforce a policy that would appear to lead to more drunk driving from their students.

Good for the girl though to not apologize and stand her ground about how she did the right thing regardless of what the school says.
You make sense. And so much for the slogan "friends don't let friends drive drunk" but I guess that doesn't apply in school.

·
The Sundance Kid
18,430 Posts
the world is so much safer thanks to those cops arresting a bunch of drunk teenagers. definitely nothing better they could've been doing.

cops are heroes etc

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
the world is so much safer thanks to those cops arresting a bunch of drunk teenagers. definitely nothing better they could've been doing.

cops are heroes etc
Why don't you put on your mask and cape and fight the "Evil" cops and government with your powers of Anarchy? I'm sure you will be a hero to the unemployed members of the sovereign citizens over night! You can call yourself, Anarchy Man or Angry Internet Blog Man! This is so exciting! Maybe you could have you're own tv show and comics too!
:cool2

·
"Night's Watch! With Me!"
8,030 Posts

School Admin's reaction: :jameson

I actually have a solution

Get friends who won't underage drink and then try to get a ride off you
So someone can't be a great friend if they drink? And how do we know this girl (Erin Cox) doesn't drink? Maybe she decided to stay in that night.

·
The Sundance Kid
18,430 Posts
Why don't you put on your mask and cape and fight the "Evil" cops and government with your powers of Anarchy? I'm sure you will be a hero to the unemployed members of the sovereign citizens over night! You can call yourself, Anarchy Man or Angry Internet Blog Man! This is so exciting! Maybe you could have you're own tv show and comics too!
:cool2
:hayden3 so stereotypical. "you questioned the institutions I've been blindly indoctrinated into...no intelligent response possible...must....make...caricature....AHHHH"

pls dont breed

1 - 20 of 35 Posts