Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry but I find him very bland, almost Randy Orton like in his promos which is NOT what you want when playing a character thats supposed to be the Million Dollar Man 2.0. His "character" comes off very contrived and false imo, kinda like hes trying to play a part rather than actually trying to BE the part if you guys know what I mean.

I don't know, hopefully soon he'll start to improve but if they are honestly thinking that TDJr. is the next version of his father, they are seriously smokin some wacky shit. TDJr. has nowhere near the amount of charisma his father had and his promos show that.

Thoughts?

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts
I agree, I find almost everything about him bland.

His looks is bland, his mic work is bland, his ring work is bland. He's just not interesting and I don't think he plays the 'fortunate son' role well. This should be an interesting gimmick but it just doesn't seem to work. Even adding Maryse to him hasn't seen him getting anymore interesting.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, I find almost everything about him bland.

His looks is bland, his mic work is bland, his ring work is bland. He's just not interesting and I don't think he plays the 'fortunate son' role well. This should be an interesting gimmick but it just doesn't seem to work. Even adding Maryse to him hasn't seen him getting anymore interesting.
They should just stick Maryse with the Miz where she belongs lol.

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
This has been said pretty much since he's debuted as "The Fortunate Son." WWE hasn't had the most confidence in him, either. Can you name how many times he's been on a PPV since switching roles? They've just gotta create storylines with guys that haven't been out as there as much just to switch it up. His feud with Goldust may be interesting. I mean, it is Goldust. This could be something entertaining.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
This gimmick just isn't 'right' for him, i know he's got something but i just haven't seen it yet. A change should be done whatever it is, a face turn might do wonders but unfortunately he isn't over enough yet as a heel. He's just not in a good position right now i think.

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts
It doesn't help that he's not being given a feud or proper storyline (I don't include this ridiculousness with Goldust) so therefore he cant really let his character develop. You need some kind of direction to do that. For example, as soon as The Miz started getting time to put over his character with actual feuds (Kofi,Cena, MVP) he was a lot more interesting because he got the time and means to develop. Morrison has started to do something similar too. Jack Swagger did the same when he became the world champion on Smackdown. Suddeenly he was given this time to actually put his character out there and focus on something..

Dibiase isn't getting that right now, which isn't entirely all his fault. He hasn't been impressive at all, BUT there's a distinct lack of faces on both brands right now, meaning that it's going to be hard for him to actually find someone to feud with since on RAW the mosst focus is on Miz, Barret and Sheamus as heels.

·
Banned
7,761 Posts
Ted DiBiase will never get over.

When 40 year old jobber in gold face paint and a black jumpsuit...dry-humps a fake belt in the middle of a wrestling ring...and gets a bigger reaction in 30 seconds...than you've ever gotten in your entire career...you know you're in trouble.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
I just don't care when he's on my tv. His father has more charisma in his pinky finger than Ted Jr has in his entire body.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
If his second name wasn't Di Biase then no one would bother with him in the slightest, he isn't overly good in the ring, he isn't great on the mic, he doesn't have a body that makes you think he is a legit badass either, he isn't overly quick either, he is very average, he is easy on the eye for the ladies I suppose and has good height on him, thats about it

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If his second name wasn't Di Biase then no one would bother with him in the slightest, he isn't overly good in the ring, he isn't great on the mic, he doesn't have a body that makes you think he is a legit badass either, he isn't overly quick either, he is very average, he is easy on the eye for the ladies I suppose and has good height on him, thats about it
agree 100%. Hed be a nobody if it wasn't for his name.

·
The Man
15,234 Posts
Yeah don't worry, almost all of us agree. The guy is bland, and I really don't even think he has a good "look" like everyone around here said when he first debuted. If it wasn't for their names, guys like DiBiase, McGuillicutty, and probably even Rhodes wouldn't have jobs in the wrestling business right now.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I'll just chime in to disagree. I think Ted Jr. has been just one of the many victims of WWE creative's plan as of late, which is "Book Cena and Nexus, Undertaker/Kane, and who cares about the rest." Think of all the wrestlers that have just fallen to the wayside without a proper feud, angle or gimmick. That said, I think since September WWE has been slowly righting that ship, and this new angle with Goldust is a huge step in the right direction.

It's a little unfair to say that he's not great in the ring or on the mic because he's been given so few opportunities with either. I thought he did some really solid work with DX a while back, and I think Ted's matches with Goldust on Superstars have been pretty good. This angle is pretty make or break for him, but I don't blame him for being "bland." I blame the writers for that, in the same way I blame them for side tracking Cody, Morrison, Christian, Edge, Jericho, etc. etc.

·
Registered
4,592 Posts
Too bad , hes going to be pushed down your throat for the rest of his career whether you like it or not. As you can see he gets featured weekly , and made it further in that 20m battle royal than even Miz did. They let him star in a movie.

Hes like Drew McIntrye , only not formally labeled a "Chosen one" , you'll all see him in the main event w/ wwe/world title one day

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sorry but I find him very bland, almost Randy Orton like in his promos which is NOT what you want when playing a character thats supposed to be the Million Dollar Man 2.0. His "character" comes off very contrived and false imo, kinda like hes trying to play a part rather than actually trying to BE the part if you guys know what I mean.

I don't know, hopefully soon he'll start to improve but if they are honestly thinking that TDJr. is the next version of his father, they are seriously smokin some wacky shit. TDJr. has nowhere near the amount of charisma his father had and his promos show that.

Thoughts?
Ted Dibiase Jr. is one of the younger wrestlers in the WWE. The times are much different now than in the early years of the WWF/E where most wrestlers were grown man. Sure his dad might had still been better, but he was a more experience wrestler when he was in the WWF/E. and probably the character was made for him, but it doesn't mean it was made for Ted Diabe Jr. or any of his other kids. So trying to be critical of a young wrestler by comparing him to his dad isn't quite fair especially now in the WWE where the wrestlers are force to act a certain way and don't have the same amount of freedom to say things in their own words.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
His biggest problem is that he looks like a face. Like the nice kind of guy who help old ladies cross the street. I don't know what WWE's obsession with heels is about, but some guys just should not be heels.

Before they give up on him, I want to see a face turn. And this rip-off of his dad's gimmick has to end. It's hard for a man to look credible living off his father's reputation, in any line of work. But it's near impossible in WWE. It would be like Cody Rhodes calling himself American Dreamy, instead of Dashing. He'd be a joke.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Yeah, he's bland, but it's not entirely his fault. Ever since the horrid Legacy breakup, Ted's been portrayed as a comedy heel. You just can't take him seriously as a competitor, because WWE can't resist making him into a goofball character. Virgil? The Million Dollar Belt? His singing? That awful skit he did when the guys from the A-Team came in? Oh yeah, that really makes him connect with the fans. :rolleyes:

They need to let him find his own identity, and not have him leech off of someone else's (Orton, his Dad). Cody found his, and it's working, for the most part. (Tag Teaming again? WTF.)

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
9,500 Posts
Strange that this thread comes now, after all I thought he did well last night. I certainly wouldn't be against seeing the guy get a small push.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Off topic a bit, but was anyone else a bit bit surprised that he lasted so long in the battle royal? I mean, he'd just gotten beat up by Goldust a few minutes prior to the match.

·
Banned
4,479 Posts
Ted's good on the mic and good enough in the ring.
He's going to be a solid mid-carder his entire career.

I don't get all the hate. It's not like they're pushing him to the WWE title. He's right where he should be.
If he has a decent lil feud with Goldust I think it will be really good for him.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts