Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.fox19.com/story/35491520/teacher-speaks-out-on-bullying-at-newport-independent-schools

Teacher speaks out on bullying at Newport Independent Schools

NEWPORT, KY (FOX19) -

A teacher in the Newport Independent School system is speaking out about bullying for the children and for other teachers who are afraid they will lose their jobs.

Lila Campbell, a third grade teacher at Newport Intermediate School, said she is leaving at the end of this school year, but said she has to speak up for the voiceless.

Campbell showed emails that she has sent to counselors asking them to deal with the aggressive students.

She wrote there is one student going around saying, "She's pregnant with a demon child." That same student allegedly got mad at another student for not saying they are dating, "so she smacked him in the face." The same student said, "White people used to rule the world and black people are re******."

"I've seen a kid thrown on the floor and I've called administration and they pulled the kid for about two minutes and sent him back to class," Campbell said.

Newport Independent School system responded saying, "The school district is aware of the situation. The school counselor has been working to resolve the situation and the issues between these two students. The safety of our students is a top priority and our full attention is being given to this matter."

Campbell said nothing has been done to address the problems.

"It got really bad a few weeks ago when they said they would address it... and nothing has been done. It came to a head when my class was in a race war. It's to the point where I am trying to break up seven kids from getting in a huge fight," she said.

Campbell said the kids have no accountability.

"I just want them to step up and show the kids that there is a boss in the school and it's not them, and show parents you are going to be involved so parents don't feel they have to take it upon themselves to solve these problems," she said.
http://www.fox19.com/story/35501794/school-suspends-newport-teacher-for-speaking-out-about-bullying

School suspends Newport teacher for speaking out about bullying

NEWPORT, KY (FOX19) -

A Newport teacher has been suspended after taking a stand and speaking out about bullying she said she's witnessed at her school.

Lila Campbell, a former 3rd grade teacher at Newport Intermediate School, was suspended for three days without pay which will take her to the end of the school year.

She said speaking out against the district about alleged bullying in the schools was not easy.

"They said it was my classroom management and just my class... and I've seen it in the hallways and I've seen it in other classes. I've seen it all over the place and i know it's true," Campbell said.

The Newport Independent Schools district letter sited Kentucky Law KRS 161.790 which states a teacher can be suspended for conduct unbecoming a teacher. They also site violation of board policy 08.2323, access to electronic media that did not, "promote student learning and communication."

"They said that what I said was untrue. And I know I shared emails which I shouldn't have, but what I said was not untrue and and I have had several parents call me and message me, emailing me and supporting me... so I feel good about what I did," Campbell said.

FOX19 NOW reached out to the district about the alleged bullying problems, but was told they do not comment on personnel matters, and are not giving interviews.

"I had kids coming to me this morning crying and hugging me because I stood up for them. They feel that I am trying to make a difference for them and give them a better school to be in," Campbell said.

She said her only regret is not being able to say goodbye to her students in person.
EDIT: I'm an idiot. I thought it said they don't comment on personal matters instead of personnel matters.

·
Master of karate and friendship for everyone!
1,120 Posts
It's unfortunate because a lot of schools have their hands tied on exactly how they can deal with problem students because the State Department has some specific idea on what they should be doing, while having no experience working inside a school. I live in California, I am a teacher, and it's absolutely horrible here.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Is Newport, KY a rough area? This is how inner city philly is. It's not necessarily ignored, but it's not prioritized. With do much funding getting cut to public schools it will only get worse, too.

I hope she stays in the public sector but finds a good niche, an opportunity to put her care into something. Good on her. The administration were cowards.

·
40,772 Posts
You can design your responses to fit the thread, but it's still spamming when you're advertising a service.

Mods - ban please.
probably a troll rejoiner, but from what i understand it's only advertising other wrestling sites that is worthy of a ban.

·
tombstone blues
14,293 Posts
Hundreds of thousands if not millions of students - most of them nonwhite - are being denied an education because schools have been heavily pressured not to punish disruptive students or remove them from the classroom. Another thing to thank the Obama administration's retardation for.

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
This happens out here too, handcuffing teachers for years on discipline to spare people's "feelings" and other such nonsense is making it increasingly difficult for teachers when they have to deal with actually abusive children. I also think these attitudes are reflected in parenting too, with parents not disciplining their children when they're being total arseholes because "we want them to be themselves" or whatever, fuck that noise. I can't comment on the USA on this one, but children here are increasingly rude, disrespectful and lacking basic manners and common courtesy, that's wrong. I'm not advocating physical discipline either I should note, but not all behaviour is "acceptable" just because it's a child doing it. If a child is a bully, is displaying threatening behaviour, is attacking other children or is generally disrupting the education of other students, that is a problem that needs to be dealt with, not ignored or encouraged. If you don't instil decent values into children, they will struggle to function as members of adult society where a lot of these behaviours can get you into trouble, socially, legally or professionally.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Why does this OP always just post random news articles??

Like, what's his criteria for a situation important enough to share on a general discussion area of a forum for pro wrestling??

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,952 Posts
What negatives come from punishing bad students? I know you can't hit someone elses kid, but suspensions are still a thing right?

Why aren't kids being punished?

·
tombstone blues
14,293 Posts
What negatives come from punishing bad students? I know you can't hit someone elses kid, but suspensions are still a thing right?

Why aren't kids being punished?
Because if the kids aren't white the schools are afraid of being called racist and getting the department of education burrowing up their assholes. The Obama administration sent out a lot of retarded directives intended to reduce the amount of nonwhite suspensions, completely ignoring the consequences as both nonwhite and white kids recognized they could get away with more shit and have taken full advantage. Now there are schools all over the country that are more reenactments of the lord of the flies than they are schools. Teachers who speak out about it are dismissed as racists or are punished because their superiors are pissed that the public is being told about their incompetence. Parents who speak out are ignored.

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,952 Posts
Because if the kids aren't white the schools are afraid of being called racist and getting the department of education burrowing up their assholes. The Obama administration sent out a lot of retarded directives intended to reduce the amount of nonwhite suspensions, completely ignoring the consequences as both nonwhite and white kids recognized they could get away with more shit and have taken full advantage. Now there are schools all over the country that are more reenactments of the lord of the flies than they are schools. Teachers who speak out about it are dismissed as racists or are punished because their superiors are pissed that the public is being told about their incompetence. Parents who speak out are ignored.
Well......fuck!

So what kicked off the directives in the first place?

·
Premium Member
8,571 Posts
This school sounds like a real hell-hole and completely full of shit (as many are when they go into their P.R. song and dance). edit: Teacher is planning leaving this school. Good for her but feel bad for the kids she's trying to look out for. They suspended her over this...because she exposed the administration for being worthless.

Fuck school administrations like this. Sadly there are too many that fit this bill.

·
Premium Member
9,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well......fuck!

I think it had to do with this.

Study: Black students suspended more often than others

Brett M. Kelman, USA TODAY Published 6:00 a.m. ET May 12, 2013 | Updated 4:35 p.m. ET May 12, 2013

Black students are suspended more than three times as often as their white classmates, twice as often as their Latino classmates and more than 10 times as often as their Asian classmates in middle and high schools nationwide, a new study shows.

The average American secondary student has an 11% chance of being suspended in a single school year, according to the study from the University of California-Los Angeles Civil Rights project. However, if that student is black, the odds of suspension jump to 24%.

Previous studies have shown that even a single suspension can double a student's odds of dropping out, said Daniel Losen, a former Boston-area teacher and one of the authors of "Out of School & Off Track: The Overuse of Suspensions in American Middle and High Schools," released in April. The study used U.S. Department of Education data collected during the 2009-2010 school year, the latest available.

"Pointing fingers and using the 'racism' word isn't going to get us where we need to go," said Losen, who is white. "But I think we need to acknowledge that there may be general bias against black students."

The UCLA study compares this new data with a similar study of more than 2,800 districts from the early 1970s. Back then a study by the Children's Defense Fund showed that black students were suspended more frequently than their peers, but not at such a disproportionate rate.

Today, the suspension disparity is magnified in some "hot spot" cities – such as Chicago, Dallas, Memphis and St. Louis, Losen said. In these city school districts, at least 40% of all black students were suspended at least once during that school year, according to the UCLA study. And yet, some schools in those same cities barely suspended students at all, Losen said.

"A lot of the time the public has a sense that we have to suspend these 'bad' kids – what else are we going to do?" Losen said. "But this study shows that within the same district, within the same demographics, there are schools that are doing things very differently."

The suspension disparity has recently come to a head in Florida, where the NAACP has filed a complaint against public schools in Brevard County, which suspends its black students about two-and-a-half times as often as its white students. The U.S. Department of Education has agreed to look into the complaint.

Lynne Bleier, a retired assistant principal and dean who worked at two Bevard County high schools, said suspension decisions are based purely on the behavior of each student.

"Believe me, there is plenty of misbehavior," Bleier said. "No assistant principal has to seek misbehavior where it does not exist."

Black students are suspended from public secondary schools more frequently than their white, Latino or Asian peers according to new data from the U.S. Department of Education Office of Civil Rights and a study from the University of California-Los Angeles. A similar study was conducted in the early 70s.

While the federal government collects suspension statistics, it doesn't record suspension causes, and discipline codes vary widely between each state, district and even some schools.

According to an analysis, also by Losen, on the Southern Poverty Law Center website, "fights or physical aggression among students are consistently found to be among the most common reasons for suspension." After fighting, the most common offenses appear to be abusive language and attendance issues such as cutting class, tardiness and truancy, the analysis added.

Chicago public schools have recently reshaped their discipline strategy to keep students in the classroom, said Jen Loudon,director of youth development and positive behavior support. Suspensions dropped by 21% in the first year after the district abandoned a mandatory suspension policy.

Regardless of the progress in some districts, the nationwide statistics are still "appalling," said Gloria Sweet-Love, who served on a Tennessee school board for two decades, and now is the state's leader for the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. Sweet-Love believes that white teachers are more likely to deem a black student "threatening" instead of simply disobedient, and therefore more likely to "make an example" by suspending a black students.

The same pattern persists in Palm Springs Unified, a medium-size school district in a largely progressive area of California. Although black students only amount to 6% of the student body in Palm Springs secondary schools, they account for more than 11% of the total suspensions. This pattern has held up for at least a decade, according to a review of U.S. DOE data.
The important thing to note about the study is that reasons for suspension are not recorded. So, there is no way to know if the black students are committing more serious offense and receiving more serious punishments or if they are committing similar offenses as students of other races and getting worse punishments than their counterparts.

·
tombstone blues
14,293 Posts
Well......fuck!

Nonwhite kids, especially black kids, get suspended at far higher rates than white kids.

This is of course because racism and must be stopped.

Nevermind that the real reason for it being that nonwhite kids, especially black kids, commit serious misbehaviors at school far more often than white kids.

Here is an excellent article about the St. Paul Minnesota school system and how its stupid crusade re: mythical racism has basically ruined the public school system there for all kids, white or black or purple with green spots. The nonwhite kids are being denied the education that is the only chance they have to escape generational poverty, but whatever fuck them.

https://www.city-journal.org/html/no-thug-left-behind-14951.html

Reactions: RavishingRickRules

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,952 Posts
So it's either, you're suspending them because you're kind of racist, they have disciplinary deficits at home due to not having a stable home base, fear has everyone on edge or the classic, "they'll cut our funding."

So teachers are to blame because they can't control the kids. On the other hand there's no follow through from the office. How the fuck does a kid get cut with an X-Acto knife and the office NOT call the cops. The cops say it's a crime how does the school not recognize REAL WORLD CRIME?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts