Wrestling Forum banner

Talented wrestlers even the IWC doesn't talk about

4846 56
There are guys like William Regal, Christian, Owen Hart and others who have been called underrated by many people around here and are discussed constantly

What about the underrated, underrated guys? Guys who were good workers but are rarely talked about even by the IWC

One that stands out in my mind is D-Lo Brown. Was he an amazing in-ring talent or an epic promo cutter? No. But he could definitely work a great match and wasn't bad on the stick either. He was also very charismatic back in the day. There aren't many guys (atleast not at the time in North America) that could effectively blend his style of power wrestling and highflying, and his time on the indy circuit proved he isn't a bad mat/chain wrestler

In 98/99 D-Lo Brown was arguably the company's top midcard act. He had multiple runs as European Champion and was the first to hold it simultaneously with the Intercontinental Championship. He has a surprising amount of strong matches against guys like Val Venis, X-Pac and Jeff Jarrett. And nobody could deny that the dude was WAY over. The chest protector gimmick was classic!

So what are some other wrestlers that you guys feel are criminally forgotten about
Reactions: alejbr4
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

· Registered
4,638 Posts
A lot of yesteryear wrestlers hardly get a mention due to the generation gap, more than anything else. The likes of Lou Thesz, Nick Bockwinkle, etc, were wrestling in the times we weren't even born (most of us, at least).

I do see the "IWC" crediting great wrestlers of the past too. There is a section of fans for each wrestler. You have Vader fans; you have Arn Anderson fans; Harley Race's fans, Jerry Lawler and his work in the late 70s and 80s, and Bob Backlund. Most of the good wrestlers' of the past have a group of people devoted to them (to their matches!).

When we talk of Japanese wrestling, well, there are a huge majority that are fans of Misawa and Kobashi. Personally, I'm not a fan of Japanese wrestling, as I prefer Canadian/American story-driven wrestling over the athletic Japanese exhibition. Yet, I know so many people who love the 90s stuff from AJPW, and even the NJPW.

Therefore, I believe everybody does get a mention. It just depends on what somebody prefers. Someone may like Misawa and not Michaels, while the opposite may be true as well.

If I were to point out wrestlers who are "underestimated," then the first two would be Curt Hennig and Owen. They are from the 90s--not too long ago for many of the "smarts," yet they are hardly recognized as wrestlers in the league of Michaels, Benoit, Bret, Eddie, etc.

· Registered
756 Posts
Tajiri ... man that guy can go and probably still can!

· Registered
6,157 Posts
Dusty Rhodes for sure. Rarely ever mentioned for his actual wrestling run, but moreso mentioned on here for his sons or his commentary.
Lou thesz rarely gets a mention, same with most of the older wrestlers, because of the average age of the IWC
A lot of yesteryear wrestlers hardly get a mention due to the generation gap, more than anything else. The likes of Lou Thesz, Nick Bockwinkle, etc, were wrestling in the times we weren't even born (most of us, at least).
Ironic, isn't it? The IWC bash the "casual audience" for not knowing enough about "the good ol' days", saying none of them would know Sting or that The Rock could return and wouldn't get a big enough pop. Saying kids don't have enough respect for yesteryear's stars and just love the crap of today etc.

When in fact, probably less than 5% of us have seen a Lou Thesz match.

· Registered
6,790 Posts
curt hawkins
zack ryder
trent barreta

that is it
All 3 guys have awful names and do nothing to stand out on their own. Either of these three could be mistaken for each other. At least a guy like Tyler Reks stands out, plus he has the best finishing move in WWE.

· Registered
7,601 Posts
There are probably so many that are considered as underrated by some of us that i wouldn't be able to fit them all in, when you look back to the late 80's and early 90's there are a whole host of wrestler's from back then that would be multi time WWE/World champions if they were wrestling today. Of the top of my head i can think of Tito Santana, Ric Martel, Greg Valentine, Arn Anderson, The Great Muta and Jerry Lawler who in the 70's and 80's was probably the best heel around and one of a very select few top heel's that has never lost to Hulk Hogan in any company.

With WWE having two World title's due to the brand extension i believe that Jerry Lawler of the 70's and 80's would probably have as many World title's reigns as Edge and maybe even Triple H because he drew heat like no one else in the industry back in the day and how many people can say they are undefeated against Hulk Hogan. Another few that spring to mind would be Paul Orndoff, Harley Race, Dusty Rhodes and Magnum TA who were all very good in ring workers but the wrestling back then was long drawn out old school technical wrestling of which we don't really see anymore because it is all fast paced and filled with spots so fan's that have only really watched for a decade or so at most would probably find it hard to watch those aforementioned wrestler's in a match.

· Registered
3,804 Posts
All 3 guys have awful names and do nothing to stand out on their own. Either of these three could be mistaken for each other. At least a guy like Tyler Reks stands out, plus he has the best finishing move in WWE.
I highly much doubt anyone would mistake "Woo Woo woo you kow it" as a catch-phrase of Hawkings.

· women sense my power and they seek the life essenc
39,805 Posts
There are probably so many that are considered as underrated by some of us that i wouldn't be able to fit them all in, when you look back to the late 80's and early 90's there are a whole host of wrestler's from back then that would be multi time WWE/World champions if they were wrestling today. Of the top of my head i can think of Tito Santana, Ric Martel, Greg Valentine, Arn Anderson, The Great Muta and Jerry Lawler who in the 70's and 80's was probably the best heel around and one of a very select few top heel's that has never lost to Hulk Hogan in any company.

With WWE having two World title's due to the brand extension i believe that Jerry Lawler of the 70's and 80's would probably have as many World title's reigns as Edge and maybe even Triple H because he drew heat like no one else in the industry back in the day and how many people can say they are undefeated against Hulk Hogan. Another few that spring to mind would be Paul Orndoff, Harley Race, Dusty Rhodes and Magnum TA who were all very good in ring workers but the wrestling back then was long drawn out old school technical wrestling of which we don't really see anymore because it is all fast paced and filled with spots so fan's that have only really watched for a decade or so at most would probably find it hard to watch those aforementioned wrestler's in a match.

Yeah1993's a Magnum TA fan

· My name is 905 and I've just become alive
5,145 Posts
Three words: Knee. Drop. Sell.

Nick Bockwinkel anyone? You want to talk about underrated this guy should be in the same neighbourhood as Flair, Jumbo and Misawa.
The only stuff I've seen of his is a tape I had as a kid that was all about his feud with Hogan over the AWA title. I know he was in the Heenan family at the time and the tape included a match that had Hogan and Andre against Bockwinkel, Bobby Duncum, Ken Patera, and Heenan. I loved that fucking tape as a kid. I think it was AWA trying to capitalize on Hogan's popularity years after he left.

Unfortunately, Bockwinkel was pretty old at the time, but he still seemed pretty good. Any recommendations for stuff from his prime?

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.