Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would be a dream come true for millions. I've never seen a promo draw so much attention (2-21-11) in the history of the business. What do you guys think?

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts
Well, clearly. What else has happened since then to challenge it? Taker vs Sting is not to be discounted, it would draw remarkably well, BUT, it isn't heavily challenged in the last 8 years by anything but Hogan vs Rock.

·
8,232 Posts
To be fair, Hogan vs. Rock only drew 640,000 buys surprisingly.

Plenty of Mania's since then drew much more than that. Including WM 23 (which I was at :eek:) which drew the highest of all time. 1.2 Million buys.

I see WM 27 getting over 1 million if Sting vs. Taker takes place though.

·
Banned
291 Posts
Maybe like five, ten years ago. Both guys are far from their prime.

I'd still like to see it, it just wouldn't be the perfection people think it would.

·
Masonic!
1,547 Posts
Nothing to do with being in their prime. It is teh aura and iconic factor.

Even just having Sting in WWE is HUGE.

·
Banned
2,673 Posts
If you want to get technical, Batista/Triple H, Cena/Triple H and Donald Trump/McMahon already outdrew Hogan/Rock. Batista/Triple H brought domestic buys to a higher level again, outdoing every show since Wrestlemania 17. Cena/Triple H, while not outdrawing Batista/Triple H overall, obtained a better domestic number. And Trump/McMahon continued by getting an even bigger number (though no doubt Batista/Undertaker and Shawn/Cena were a help in generating that huge number too, though I would think without Trump, they would not have made it as huge).

Sting/Taker isn't going to be that much of a draw if you look at it realistically. There's already been bigger matches in terms of drawing ability. You have to take into account timing and context too.

This would have been a much bigger match several years ago. In the same manner that Bret/Vince would have been huge had it happened before Wrestlemania 23 at some point, or how Batista/Cena would have been far bigger if it happened prior to Wrestlemania 26. The product goes through cycles when it comes to interest and generating buzz. Right now, it's at a low point and in a transitional phase. Whatever potential Taker/Sting may have had five years ago as a big match is not the same as it is today unfortunately.

Don't get me wrong though, it's still a big match that will undoubtedly help what is shaping up to be a pretty poor card in terms of drawing ability.
Well, clearly. What else has happened since then to challenge it? Taker vs Sting is not to be discounted, it would draw remarkably well, BUT, it isn't heavily challenged in the last 8 years by anything but Hogan vs Rock.
Hogan/Rock = 640,000 domestic buys
Batista/Triple H = 650,000 domestic buys
Cena/Triple H = 700,000 domestic buys (though overall number came in 65,000 less than Wrestlemania 21 when taking into account international buys)
Donald Trump/McMahon = 768,000 domestic buys

Hogan/Rock has already been outdone.

Wrestlemania 25 and 26 saw a huge decrease in domestic buys, going from 700,000+ to between 500,000 and 580,000. It's going to be tough job this year to pull in a good number. I'd be surprised if Taker/Sting managed to even get the domestic figure to 700,000. It's not going to happen. Unless lots of fans come crawling out to pay to see such a match. It's a possibility, sure. But a very slim one.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hang on, was there some actual news on this front or is this just a wishing thread?

EDIT - just saw the promo in question. I'm pretty sure it's just The Undertaker coming back. We can live in hopes though :)

·
Student of the game? I am the f***in' Game!!
8,351 Posts
If you want to get technical, Batista/Triple H, Cena/Triple H and Donald Trump/McMahon already outdrew Hogan/Rock. Batista/Triple H brought domestic buys to a higher level again, outdoing every show since Wrestlemania 17. Cena/Triple H, while not outdrawing Batista/Triple H overall, obtained a better domestic number. And Trump/McMahon continued by getting an even bigger number (though no doubt Batista/Undertaker and Shawn/Cena were a help in generating that huge number too, though I would think without Trump, they would not have made it as huge).

Sting/Taker isn't going to be that much of a draw if you look at it realistically. There's already been bigger matches in terms of drawing ability. You have to take into account timing and context too.

This would have been a much bigger match several years ago. In the same manner that Bret/Vince would have been huge had it happened before Wrestlemania 23 at some point, or how Batista/Cena would have been far bigger if it happened prior to Wrestlemania 26. The product goes through cycles when it comes to interest and generating buzz. Right now, it's at a low point and in a transitional phase. Whatever potential Taker/Sting may have had five years ago as a big match is not the same as it is today unfortunately.

Don't get me wrong though, it's still a big match that will undoubtedly help what is shaping up to be a pretty poor card in terms of drawing ability.
Pretty sure those were world wide numbers not domestic. They started to count in buys outside the states starting at wm21.

·
Banned
2,673 Posts
No, those are domestic numbers.

Wrestlemania 21, when including international buys did 985,000.
Wrestlemania 22, when including international buys did 920,000.
Wrestlemania 23, when inlcuding international buys did 1,188,000.

Fact is, we don't give the credit often enough, but Batista/Triple H was a game changing feud and the biggest drawing feud WWE has had since Austin/Rock. It bumped up revenue in a huge way. Well, aside from Trump/McMahon that is.

And they started counting buys outside of the domestic market starting with Wrestlemania 20.

·
Registered
984 Posts
To be all honest of how stupid great of an idea such as Sting vs Taker at WM is, people would buy that PPV even if Sting and Taker just stared at each other for 30min. I'd buy it even if I knew going in that it was going to be a dance contest.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Anyone know the numbers for Rock and Austin at Mania 17, it would probably get around the same amount of buys as that i'd guess at.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Anyone know the numbers for Rock and Austin at Mania 17, it would probably get around the same amount of buys as that i'd guess at.
I actually doubt that. That was a hot and compelling fued during a time when wrestling was doing big business and was hugely popular.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
To be fair, Hogan vs. Rock only drew 640,000 buys surprisingly.

Plenty of Mania's since then drew much more than that. Including WM 23 (which I was at :eek:) which drew the highest of all time. 1.2 Million buys.

I see WM 27 getting over 1 million if Sting vs. Taker takes place though.
I thought Mania 18 drew 840'000 Buys. Also the most Buyed Mania is still Mania 3 with 4 Million Buys, second Mania 4 with 2.6 Million Buys and third Mania 5 with 2.3 Million Buys. Or what did you mean?

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I thought Mania 18 drew 840'000 Buys. Also the most Buyed Mania is still Mania 3 with 4 Million Buys, second Mania 4 with 2.6 Million Buys and third Mania 5 with 2.3 Million Buys. Or what did you mean?
Wrestlemania 3 attracted 400,000 buys
Wrestlemania 4 - 485,000
Wrestlemania 5 - 650,000

I have a feeling WM 17 is still the highest domestic buyrate of all time.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts