Wrestling Forum banner

Taker vs Goldberg?

2188 15
Does anyone else think this match could have been the match of the ages especially for Wrestlemania? Obviously, Goldberg is nowhere near the level of wrestling talent of the Undertaker, but I think a build between these two would have been far greater than HHH/Taker. I can't think of any two top "face" characters who carried so much intimidation with them to the ring. Goldberg/Taker stare down would have been far more awesome than HHH/Taker stare down. If I'm correct they have never faced off in a match ever, and that would be nice to see heading in to Wrestlemania to challenge for the "Streak".
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Asuka
^Take this off
126,684 Posts
Goldberg in this day and age? It wouldn't work, he's outdated. It would've been a huge match in his prime when he was ruling over WCW, but if Goldberg were in his prime, this match would never even occur because they'd be setting up Goldberg vs Austin which would probably draw the biggest buyrate of all time.

· Banned
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would have to say that I disagree with you on Goldberg's popularity. He is still very well known in the wrestling business, and I don't know that it would truly matter whether it was now, or ten years ago. I say this because 10 years ago the "Streak" wasn't much of a concept. Goldberg is what he is today because of what he accomplished in his early days in WCW. Taking what we know about how Goldberg became what he became, and figuring that the "Streak" is what is today this match would have had some real hype behind it. Not to mention the match would be in Goldberg's hometown of Atlanta Georgia.

· Registered
6,688 Posts
Does anyone else think this match could have been the match of the ages especially for Wrestlemania? Obviously, Goldberg is nowhere near the level of wrestling talent of the Undertaker, but I think a build between these two would have been far greater than HHH/Taker. I can't think of any two top "face" characters who carried so much intimidation with them to the ring. Goldberg/Taker stare down would have been far more awesome than HHH/Taker stare down. If I'm correct they have never faced off in a match ever, and that would be nice to see heading in to Wrestlemania to challenge for the "Streak".
C'mon now.

Yes, Undertaker is better than Goldberg. But not by so much.. Look at some of Goldberg's WCW work. Nobody has ever played the monster character as well as he did. What Goldberg lacked in wrestling ability was more than made up for by his charisma.

In 1998, Goldberg's popularity rivaled Stone Cold. That's a level Undertaker has never reached and will never reach.

Give Goldberg his credit!

And yes, a match between them would had been amazing. Should had happened at Mania' 20.

· Registered
729 Posts
C'mon now.

Yes, Undertaker is better than Goldberg. But not by so much.. Look at some of Goldberg's WCW work. Nobody has ever played the monster character as well as he did. What Goldberg lacked in wrestling ability was more than made up for by his charisma.

In 1998, Goldberg's popularity rivaled Stone Cold. That's a level Undertaker has never reached and will never reach.

And yes, a match between them would had been amazing. Should had happened at Mania' 20.
This.

· Banned
2,157 Posts
Goldberg in this day and age? It wouldn't work, he's outdated. It would've been a huge match in his prime when he was ruling over WCW, but if Goldberg were in his prime, this match would never even occur because they'd be setting up Goldberg vs Austin which would probably draw the biggest buyrate of all time.
Hollywood Hogan was the face of WCW and a bigger draw than Goldberg.
Therefor, it wouldn't have had a bigger buyrate than Rock VS Hogan.

· Banned
2,157 Posts
C'mon now.

Undertaker is leagues ahead of Goldberg in terms of overall talent, what are you smoking?

· Asuka
^Take this off
126,684 Posts
Hollywood Hogan was the face of WCW and a bigger draw than Goldberg.
Therefor, it wouldn't have had a bigger buyrate than Rock VS Hogan.
By the time Goldberg took the belt off him? No, Goldberg was definately the big dog at that point, and Austin was clearly ahead of Rock until around 2000 when he broke his neck.

I'm talking about Austin vs Goldberg in 1998, not in 2002.

· Banned
2,157 Posts
By the time Goldberg took the belt off him? No, Goldberg was definately the big dog at that point, and Austin was clearly ahead of Rock until around 2000 when he broke his neck.

I'm talking about Austin vs Goldberg in 1998, not in 2002.
I agree with the second part there and personally think The Rock didn't pass Stone Cold until 2001 but there's no way Goldberg outdrew Hogan in 98. He'd have a better chance in 2002 and even then he still wouldn't have.

· Banned
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Look, I'm not going to debate who is/was a bigger draw because that wasn't the point of the thread. These two never squared off in a match, and I just think in today's wrestling this would still be a huge feud/match. Taker, and Goldberg both have that intimidating presence that I can't recall any two wrestlers having. The "Bear Jew" vs The " Celtic Pagan". Great match indeed.

· Premium Member
46,600 Posts
It might have been a good idea to do this match at some point. Hell that might have worked better at Mania XX than that Lesnar/Goldberg debacle.

Yeah, they could have easily sold this. Who better to end Taker's streak than the guy who has one of the most impressive winning streaks in the history of wrestling?

· The Winds of Change
5,629 Posts
I wish Taker/Goldberg had happened at Wrestlemania XX.

I would have had Goldberg turn heel for this it. He was leaving WWE shortly and was getting booed anyway because everyone knew it, so why not put him in a feud with the returning Deadman? He would have been a great "threat" to the Streak, as he had the other greatest streak in pro wrestling. Always wanted to see the match. It would have turned out better than Goldberg/Brock and Taker/Kane did at the actual event.

Edit: Lol TripleG, we both posted these at the same time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.